Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule

Add topic

I come from the NBA – I’m not a regular college coach,” Curry told The Post this week. “We don’t worry about that. We go coach, we go prepare … none of [the talk about job security] matters.”

“At the end of the year, you can win or lose and [the new AD] can decide if they want to keep you or you can decide if you want to go someplace else,” Curry said.

“I’m a basketball coach – done some things well, done some things not as well – but I don’t think about that.”

I have no idea what he meant by declaring himself a former NBA coach, but it holds no water in the team's performance. He has tried to force a "system" that flat out stinks and does not take advantage of their strengths - aside from dumping it into Delph and letting him take very high percentage shots.

Secondly, he is going to go down as the worst Coach in program history in conference play. He is currently at 25%, ahead of Sidney Green's 33% and the way it looks that percentage will drop even more for the rest of the season.

Back to the top

Sounds super arrogant. Also, sort of reminds me of Butch Jones talking about how Tennessee was contending for championships.
Back to the top

Rick said

I come from the NBA – I’m not a regular college coach,” Curry told The Post this week. “We don’t worry about that. We go coach, we go prepare … none of [the talk about job security] matters.”

“At the end of the year, you can win or lose and [the new AD] can decide if they want to keep you or you can decide if you want to go someplace else,” Curry said.

“I’m a basketball coach – done some things well, done some things not as well – but I don’t think about that.”

Usually once this kind of talk starts, you're on your way out.

Looking forward to a new coach.

Back to the top

A new Coach and a new HOME! Did you read my post about the Asheville, NC arena? You have any thoughts on what is happening in the "process" we are in now for something similar in size and use (with hotel), possibly on SE corner of campus?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

A new Coach and a new HOME! Did you read my post about the Asheville, NC arena? You have any thoughts on what is happening in the "process" we are in now for something similar in size and use (with hotel), possibly on SE corner of campus?
Posted On: Feb 15th 2018, 3:33 PM #377197

I did.

Years ago I thought we needed something in the 10K-15K range, but having attended quite a few basketball games and noticed the attendance - even when we were doing really well under Jarvis - I would like to see us do something in the 5K seat range and really up the bells and whistles on it.

Previous Master Plans had the new football stadium and a new basketball arena together in the Innovation Village area, but that was before the upcoming Schmidt Athletic Center and even back when they thought that Innovation Village would become a "hub of student life" which it has not (but it's a suitable place for gameday tailgating, obviously).

I wonder if they may still try to do something over there, perhaps in Lot 5, just from a traffic flow/parking standpoint. There's a lot of parking around, which is something you can't say for the SE side especially since that one deal developing the SE side would need parking for hotel guests, dorms, shops, etc.

Also don't know if Boca would have a problem with a 5K-seat facility that could potentially clog up the easternmost Glades Rd entrance intersection though whenever you wonder if Boca would have a problem with something the answer is probably yes  - despite the fact that they previously made the asinine decision to move the 4th of July celebration from FAU to the Spanish River Athletic Complex because they spent money on the park and wanted to get more use out of it.

Even if we could somehow get the arena rolled into that SE complex - which FAU hasn't made a decision on yet - I'm pretty sure FAU would have to foot the bill themselves.

You could argue that events could be held on the floor there like job fairs and conventions but why would the hotel developer put money into stadium seating, scoreboards, locker rooms, coaches offices, etc? That's what I'm stuck on. They'd rather have billiard rooms for conferences.

IIRC FAU could net something like $33M from that deal which could go towards a new basketball facility… or they could use it to bolster the surging football program, improve/pay off the Athletic Center, etc. I think that would be more likely. We're very football-focused right now.

So I agree with others that the focus is on bandaging the basketball and baseball programs until football revenue can bleed over and improve the other two programs… or we get an angel donor who is specifically interested in improving those programs instead of football.
Back to the top

Owls lose 85-78 tonight to Charlotte, the worst team in the league, to close out the 2017-18 regular season.

They won TWO games in conference play and we were one of them.

Not about me, but nailed it with a 2-6 finish. Time for change, this is beyond ridiculous. No progress - period.

We will be bounced on Wednesday by UAB (a team we lost by 31 points to at home earlier in the season) at the C-USA Tournament.

We were 5-11 under Jarvis in his last year in conference play (faced the transition to C-USA BTW) and four years later we gain one game under Curry. Granted they play two more conference games now, but that should mean you finish with more wins given more chances.

"I challenged our coaches and our entire athletics department to create top 25 programs capable of competing at the highest level," said FAU President John Kelly. "Everyone involved has risen to the challenge and, in bringing Brian White to FAU, we will continue on our exciting journey under his skilled leadership."

Not sure I agree that everyone has risen to the challenge, so now that we have a new AD, just in time, need to strike while the iron is hot and make the change.

March 8th.

Let's see what happens…

Back to the top

Rick said

March 8th.

Let's see what happens…
Posted On: Mar 3rd 2018, 10:33 PM #377508

Hopefully the new AD is not just about changing coaches.

That's such a tired subject.  

We have had just about 2 interesting basketball seasons in the last 25 years. Not good seasons, simply interesting. I am more interested in hearing about the vision to build a basketball program instead hearing about a possible coaching change.

Let's begin to address the division 2 facility we have for basketball.  Let's address a plan to get pieces in place to get us there, and it will still take many years, but let's start the process of getting there.  Let's hear about the goals of program building so coaching changes actually mean something.  See FAU Football.  If Football didn't have certain facilities in place or in the works, Lane Kiffin would not have come here for any amount of money.  You have to have a plan and some pieces in place or it doesn't really matter about what coach you get–we have proven that for 25 years.

I am confident Brian White will understand that by having lineage with a brother as the gators basketball coach and a father as the AD of Duke (I hear they have a good basketball program at Duke).

For the first time in 25 years, let's start building a program. Go Owls!
Back to the top

Good posts by both of you. We need change in al areas regarding BB obviously. We need a COACH, we need better players and we need a better facility. Now, how does FAU do any of this (all of it IS needed!). I will fall back on my thoughts regarding FAU partnering with a developer to build a Hotel/Convocation/convention project on campus. A better facility will help draw a better Coach and better players and also help FAU if the hotel is tied to the schools academic programs as well(Business/Hotel Administration).

Tough decisions HAVE TO BE MADE to get this done. Is FAU for progress or stagnation - which is really why BB is floundering - no moves in the positive way (even the "upgraded" arena was a gift from heavens!!!!!!). What has FAU ACTUALLY done for BB?????
Back to the top

I agree from totality standpoint we need to build an entire program…but we currently don't have plans or money for another arena.

Our immediate need is to hire an actual coach on the bench…Someone who can draw up an actual scheme and implement it…With what we have this team should have been over. 500 this season.

Can think of at least four blown games. 
Back to the top

Rick said

I agree from totality standpoint we need to build an entire program…but we currently don't have plans or money for another arena.

Our immediate need is to hire an actual coach on the bench…Someone who can draw up an actual scheme and implement it…With what we have this team should have been over. 500 this season.

Can think of at least four blown games. 
Posted On: Mar 4th 2018, 8:33 AM #377511

maybe we should go and look at some of premiere programs in the country, like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, etc for a coaching staff. Someone who can build up a program if there is someone out there like that. But I am a football and baseball guy. My knowledge of college basketball is limited to March Madness.
Back to the top
Control functions: