Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU vs. UAB - 2018 CUSA Tournament - First Round

Add topic

This program feels that it has zero direction.  Almost as if there are no goals or identity for the program.  We just simply have the program to have a basketball program.  Sad.

Leadership (Kelly and new AD) need to decide what the goals of this program are and get serious about investing the money to bring all aspects of the program to CUSA level.  Dont want to hear "we dont have any money" - that's a loser mentality.  If we dont have the funds - go fundraise to bring them in.  Tired of the negative garbage.

Folks - we have an ASun level program from every aspect and are expecting to compete at CUSA level, which is basketball is a much higher level.  If schools like Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana Tech, etc can find ways to invest in thier programs - we can plus some.

The vision and dedication needs to be decided and then find the coach who can best accomplish and aide in both.

This is a mess and this program is embarrasing.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I want to see Curry gone, immediately!
Back to the top

owlmart said

I want to see Curry gone, immediately!
Posted On: Mar 8th 2018, 8:59 AM #377572

If we had won 14 games I might have said give him another year to break 500, but 12 games and losing to the two worst teams in the conference …yeah.

We dont need to hire another NBA guy or some "top school guy". Id rather hire someone who has experience recruiting at lower division school so they know its not always easy. The reason I suggested Joe Dooley is because a) his contract is almost up and b) FGCU is paying him less than what curry was making.

However we need a competitive arena our current arena seats 2900. FGCU who is in the atlantic sun seats 4600. Georgia Southern a sun belt team has a 4300 seat arena. FIU arena is about 5000 seats. WKU has 7,300 seats. Marshall seats about 9,000. UNC charlotte seats about 9,000. So we need a stadium 5-6000 and modern.
Back to the top

I understand the whole argument that we have not dedicated the money for the program and the facilities to win at this level but the fact is we had some very good talent on this team this year and we still couldn't do anything.  That is coaching, period.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Troutman was 42% from three!

FORTY TWO PERCENT.

Any coach in the country would be drooling over that…it's not like he was Omari Grier and couldn't get out of his own way.

Draw up some damn double screens, back picks, anything! Guy should have been putting 15-20 points a game all season long instead of his 12.3 ppg.

Instead you have Justin Massey, a 35% FG shooter from the floor taking the most shots the 2 spot because it's a free for all mentality.

Does that make any sense at all??
Back to the top

walty12 said

Folks - we have an ASun level program from every aspect and are expecting to compete at CUSA level

Posted On: Mar 8th 2018, 8:35 AM #377571

Shoot, even A-Sun teams like FGCU, Lipscomb, UNF, and Mercer (although they're not longer in the A-Sun) could compete at a CUSA level compared to the state of our program.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Rick said

Draw up some damn double screens, back picks, anything!

Posted On: Mar 8th 2018, 10:28 AM #377575

No kidding, just take a look at this "play" midway through the first.

The team looks lifeless. This style of type of 'NBA style" of offense just doesn't work at this level. Plus, it looks awkward as can be with everybody just standing around, waiting for another misses shot.

Soon after, UAB ran a TRIPLE SCREEN for Norton near the baseline. Troutman did a solid job of running beneath the screens, so once Norton got to the three-point line, he went back through the screens again to the other corner of the court to get open.

Look at MTSU's offense. Kermit Davis runs set plays that are designed for easy buckets for amateur athletes. It involves screens, flares, picks, and constant off the ball movement; a lot of work just for two points, but it works.

There is no "work" being done here.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Had an AD ever fired a coach at their opening press conference?
Back to the top

not that i heard of, but i am sure it has happen.
Back to the top

Running a basic motion offense is something you learn at the grade school level, yet our guys have a hard time with it.  And, that's a 4 senior starting lineup.  Coaching is absolutely the problem.  Facilities/money/etc. are all impediments, but you can find high school coaches (and a number of them) who coach better than what we've had.  If the new AD does not immediately fire Curry, what with the lack of improvement, total lack of interest, etc.., then I question his competence.
Back to the top
Control functions: