Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Curry Fired

Add topic

I wish Curry well, but he was never the right fit for this program.  Time for the search!

BOCA RATON, Fla. - (March 16, 2018) – Michael Curry has been relieved of his duties as Florida Atlantic University’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach, effective immediately, Brian White, FAU’s vice president and director of athletics, announced today.

The university would like to thank Coach Curry for his commitment to FAU during his time with the Owls. Unfortunately, results on the court did not meet expectations.

Curry served four seasons as the FAU Men’s head basketball coach from 2014 to 2018. During that time, the Owls recorded a 39-84 record.

“Michael is a wonderful person and very well liked throughout the university and the community at large,” White said. “I have no doubt you will join me in wishing him every success for the future, and to thank him for his dedication and commitment to FAU.”

With respect for search process, the university will make no further public comment until an announcement of FAU’s next Men’s head basketball coach is made.

Back to the top

Pitino is still available!!!!
Back to the top

And Marshall wins it's first NCAA game over highly favored Wichita St.! Go Herd!
Back to the top

I didn't attend a single game this season and only two last season. I buy one season ticket for basketball. One thing that ticks me off about sports or business is when the guy in charge knows what needs to be done , but won't do it. Our new AD came in and did what was needed. That is a good sign. He now needs to find the next guy. I will buy my ticket. I will attend a few games. Only because the school and AD are  showing effort. We may stink next season. But at least the school made a move in the right direction. I wish the best for Coach Curry. And I wish the best for FAU basketball. Heck , I went years with a losing football team, so I don't require winning. But the guys in charge need to do their jobs. Just like they expect their coaches to do their's. Go Owls !
Back to the top

I didn't renew my season tickets this past season based on the product, and I'd been a season ticket holder since the Doherty days. Hire someone that has a plan PLEASE! I'll take anything.

I will be renewing this season solely based on the change and anything has to be an improvement over what we had before.

Give me the Ely coach for all I care, that guy knows how to win!
Back to the top

According to Tomahawk Nation, each "Unit" (basically each game appearance) in the tournament is worth about $260,000.  Assuming C-USA shares that between all teams, these C-USA wins have meaning.
Back to the top

OK, so let's ALL hope our NEW AD can start off with great progressive hire for Men's BB!

Go for a BIG SPLASH hire like Pitino (Kiffin style hiring for BB - rich Coach who really does NOT need huge $$$ but DOES need to rebuild his NAME and CREDIBILITY),

Or go for up and comer from place like UMBB who will NOT get hired now by BIG program but needs a stepping stone level bump.

Yesterday is WHY football will NEVER allow for an even 16 team real tourney - too afraid of the upsets. NCAA needs to TAKE CHARGE AND FORCE THIS - TOO MUCH $$$ BEING LEFT ON TABLE IMHO!!!! And schools and conferences can make MUCH more HOSTINMG early round games on campus of higher seeds.

But….NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!
Back to the top

In my opinion - HUGE difference in Kiffin who has done some bonehead things in his past and a guy like Pitino who is a well-known serial cheater.  I hope you were kidding about that, as even an attempt to hire him would lead to the entire country losing whatever respect they might have for FAU sports.
Back to the top

Well I was serious IF Pitino REALLY WANTS to change and play straight to rebuild his career. Prove to the world he CAN win by Coaching and Not cheating. For THAT we would be a great opportunity, take a perennial LOSING program and build it into a consistent winner.

BIG IF HUH! :Thinking:
Back to the top

I'll pass on Pitino, way too much baggage
Back to the top
Control functions: