Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Curry Fired

Add topic

Baggage is not unusual for FAU hires. Matt Doherty had baggage as well as Mike Jarvis. They didn't work out but there were no problems related to their past mistakes. As we can see though, Doherty wasn't cut out for coaching. He didn't work out at SMU and left coaching.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Pitino has way more than baggage. The idea of him at FAU is simply silly.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Doherty wasn't cut out for coaching. He didn't work out at SMU and left coaching.
Posted On: Mar 18th 2018, 5:35 PM #377697

He made a small fortune and was voted National Coach of the Year while at UNC. 99% of college Basketball coaches will never get that.
Back to the top

Very happy that we moved on from Curry. I'm optimistic that President Kelly will help us find the right person for the job.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Very happy that we moved on from Curry. I'm optimistic that President Kelly will help us find the right person for the job.
Posted On: Mar 18th 2018, 7:07 PM #377700

I have been hearing: "we need a new coach" for 24 years. I am more excited to hear what plans Brian White has to actually build a Basketball program. That involves so much more than just a coach. Go Owls.
Back to the top

It seems most small southern universities are not very good at basketball. Very few winning programs. Is it possible to have a quality program, without it being a winning program? Other than FGCU one season, I don't know any successful programs
Back to the top

Local Owl said

It seems most small southern universities are not very good at basketball. Very few winning programs. Is it possible to have a quality program, without it being a winning program? Other than FGCU one season, I don't know any successful programs
Posted On: Mar 19th 2018, 5:54 AM #377705

FGCU one season?  Since 2013, the year they went to the Sweet 16, they went to the NCAA tournament in 2016 and 2017, the NIT twice, and the CBI once.  They won their conference regular season championship 3 times and conference tournament 3 times.  They are a legitimately good basketball program.  Granted, they have invested in good facilities, but they proof that a good basketball program can be built at a mid-major in Florida.  

They also have had good coaches.  I get that the success of the program is more than about who the coach is, but it has to start somewhere…and we have to get that piece right since a new arena isn't just going to appear.  
Back to the top

I can't see hiring Pitino at this point (and I doubt he would want to coach at this level) but do you really think Pitino needs to prove to anyone he can coach "without cheating"?  He's one of the greatest coaches of all time.

We need to hire an assistant coach from a top program.  Enough with the NBA retreads and pie in the sky college coaches.   Dusty May from UF would be a good hire, imo.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Mar 19th 2018, 5:54 AM #377705

This is because people in Florida (and much of the rest of the south) care very little about college basketball, or at least that's the way it was for many years.  But things can change.  Florida won two national titles.  Miami now has a good program.  I mean, 30 years ago Miami had no basketball program and Florida was a nobody.
Back to the top

May is one of the only names we've heard so far.  Given his connections to the new AD, he makes sense.  Not a big name, but we've tried the "splash" hire with limited success.   
Back to the top
Control functions: