Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Curry Fired

Add topic

Wrong pool…this is very uninspiring to me. 

If that is all we can come up with then call Mike Balado. 
Back to the top

Dusty May would be an A+ hire.
Back to the top

I agree that Dusty May would be a good hire. I think we should be realistic in that we won't be able to hire a nationally known basketball coach to join us like we did in football. For one, our basketball program lacks the infrastructure and the talent needed to compete nationally. No household name coach would choose us. We need to hire someone who can show gradual improvement
Back to the top

Rick said

Wrong pool…this is very uninspiring to me. 

If that is all we can come up with then call Mike Balado. 
Posted On: Mar 19th 2018, 7:20 PM #377718

May seems to have a similar resume to Matt McCall when he got his first head coaching job.  

He shouldn't be the only candidate (and I personally would prefer someone with some head coaching experience), but I think he'd be a solid hire.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

(and I personally would prefer someone with some head coaching experience)
Posted On: Mar 20th 2018, 8:13 AM #377723

That's my stance as well…along side actually having played basketball.

Not knocking the guy, he just has no head experience and we need a very strong person in that camp given what we need to achieve and the amount of time we have to do it in.

Back to the top

Why would any current college head coach (Balado for example) leave their current job to come to FAU?  You may say, because FAU is in Conference USA.  But, in terms of facilities, fan support, pay, etc.., FAU is pretty low on the totem pole of college basketball.  If we want someone with "head coaching experience" we would likely have to get someone who has been fired from a job or who is in fear of getting fired.  That is not what we want.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

No household name coach would choose us.
Posted On: Mar 19th 2018, 11:43 PM #377722

Matt Doherty
Rex Walters
Mike Jarvis

They were, and still are, household names?

Obviously we had a great year with Doherty but he didn't want to stay…probably should have rather than going to SMU right away and posting a 42% WP.

Walters still managed nearly 50% overall WP while going to try and rescue a stale Dons program to former national prominence in the middle of the night.

And we all know that Jarvis gave us the best season ever, despite only making it to the NIT…That was a special ride in 2010-11…the Burrow was continuously packed and the most school spirit experienced for the men's hoops program - ever.
Back to the top

Rick said

faufan2017 said

No household name coach would choose us.
Posted On: Mar 19th 2018, 11:43 PM #377722

Matt Doherty
Rex Walters
Mike Jarvis

They were, and still are, household names?

Obviously we had a great year with Doherty but he didn't want to stay…probably should have rather than going to SMU right away and posting a 42% WP.

Walters still managed nearly 50% overall WP while going to try and rescue a stale Dons program to former national prominence in the middle of the night.

And we all know that Jarvis gave us the best season ever, despite only making it to the NIT…That was a special ride in 2010-11…the Burrow was continuously packed and the most school spirit experienced for the men's hoops program - ever.
Posted On: Mar 20th 2018, 9:43 AM #377727
So you want a name because of those guys? I see a list of trash.
I will never understand the love of Jarvis guy had one good season, could never win a postseason game and chased off good players.

May has both experience in C-USA and the state of Florida.

We would be getting the number two guy from an SEC power program that always seems to overachieve.
This is our chance at another Matt Mcall.
Back to the top

Did you take PHI 1030??

Yes, I am seriously asking that…

:Laughing:

Anyway, the two counterpoints I was making were that (1) we have in fact attracted household names in the past and (2) that two of them should have stayed around…because they would have been much more successful and not become "trash" as you eluded to.

Jarvis I just threw in because he gave us our best ever season.

Like him or not…
Back to the top

The only reason that Doherty and Walters were "big names" is because they were well known college players.  You're saying that May (or someone like him) is inferior because he was not a well known college player?

Jarvis was a "big name" because he had coached at - and been fired from - St. John's.  He was on the way down, and not the way up, and his tenure here showed that.  Do we want another person on the way down the ladder?  That's what Curry was.
Back to the top
Control functions: