Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 FAU Spring Football

Spring practice just started back up and we've spent the last 2 days talking about one player.  Ha!

Did Harrison Bryant practice?  He was awesome last season - I always looked to see where he lined up.
Who will be the backup to Motor?
Charlie Weis Jr's first spring as an OC - what kind of offense do you think we'll run?
Any new signees enroll early and practice?
Any Monte sightings?

Come on Owl fans - one step closer to beating Oklahoma…
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Spring practice just started back up and we've spent the last 2 days talking about one player.  Ha!

Did Harrison Bryant practice?  He was awesome last season - I always looked to see where he lined up.
Who will be the backup to Motor?
Charlie Weis Jr's first spring as an OC - what kind of offense do you think we'll run?
Any new signees enroll early and practice?
Any Monte sightings?

Come on Owl fans - one step closer to beating Oklahoma…

Posted On: Mar 22nd 2018, 8:41 PM #377791

Most of these questions are answered daily by the beat writers.

But I’ll fill you in.
Bryant is back practicing.
Motor will have multiple back ups.
I am predicting that it will be based on who’s hot when it comes to getting carries behind Motor.
Offense isn’t going to change much.
Weis will help bring some extra installation to the passing game,
But they don’t even know who’s calling plays yet so that’s a work in progress.
Charles Camron is the only early enrolly.
I’m sure Monte is around at times.
Back to the top

Thanks for the response owlcountry40.

We've got so much to talk about this offseason, and so much to look forward to next season. Fun times - don't miss a moment.

I'm glad Bryant is back.  He was extremely flexible in this offense; looking to keep that rolling.

If I'm Monte and I can choose between San Francisco and Boca Raton, I'm staying 1.8 miles from the beach.
Back to the top

You realize Monte has very small role right?

He wasn’t offered anything.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

You realize Monte has very small role right?

He wasn’t offered anything.
Posted On: Mar 23rd 2018, 8:07 AM #377797

Of course I realize the small role Monte has. ;)

But I'm thinking outside of pure x's and o's in this case. A mentor to the players, a Super Bowl winning DC on the sidelines, and the storylines that come with him being here.
Back to the top

Notables from Spring Session 3 via FAU SID Katrina McCormack:

Full pads were worn for the first time in 2018 and the physicality was present for the Florida Atlantic University football Owls.

Under a clear sky and temperatures in the low 70’s, FAU worked through nearly two hours of individual work and then a session of full team, before giving way to special teams work at the conclusion of practice.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“The defense did a good job. We need to create some more turnovers. Obviously, when there is something good the other side is bad and vice versa. Good job of protecting the ball on offense. I thought for the most part the energy was good on a Saturday. We have to do a better job of staying up, which is a good problem to have because guys are out there trying to play physical.”
Back to the top

Notables from Spring Session 4 via FAU SID Katrina McCormack:

The second day in full pads produced something rarely seen on the Florida Atlantic University Tom Oxley Practice Fields. The defense, wearing red, in a 1st-and-goal situation and the offense in white, attempting to prevent the score in a best-of-five. On this day, the defense won, despite a jaw-dropping hit by “Motor” Devin Singletary on one attempt. Ultimately, Jalen Young’s option offense couldn’t be stopped.

The fun ended a two-hour practice, concluding just minutes after the 2018 FAU Pro Day, which took place in the FAU Arena and on the Track Complex.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“Probably our best practice, best of four. The guys were very competitive, high-energy, which is good. Tuesday, starting the beginning of the week, sometimes guys can be a bit sluggish. It was good to see.”
Back to the top

Notables from Spring Session 5 via FAU SID Katrina McCormack:

For years, 18 to be exact, Florida Atlantic University head football coaches have qualified this is practice No. 5 of 15. Following Thursday morning’s practice session, it was a senior who made the statement, showing both the finality of his collegiate career and the maturation of the players coming through the program.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“The guys had good energy. We just talked to them about ‘we need better execution.’ We have great energy and effort, but we need to just execute at the same time and do a better job of staying up. It is a good problem to have. These guys continue come out feeling energized every day. A lot of times as a coach it is your job to get them going. I’m very impressed by the leadership, especially on defense.”

• Chris Robison completed the first three pass attempts during the team portion
  • “Motor” Devin Singletary completed his runs with efficiency with the duo moving the ball downfield
  • Rashad Smith recorded a solo sack
  • De’Andre Johnson quickly moved the team downfield, connecting with Gerald Hearns for a big gain
  • Daniel Leconte was the recipient of the Johnson handoffs
  • Ladante Harris got the Owls near the end zone and Johnson finished the drive with his legs
Back to the top

Notables from Spring Session 6, which was a scrimmage, via FAU SID Katrina McCormack:

Saturday’s football practice was the first this spring with an absence of a cool wind to temper the heat for the Florida Atlantic University Owls. But, the thick cloud cover was a blessing for the friends, family and youth that surrounded the Tom Oxley Practice Fields to watch the two-hour workout that included an extended team session.

FAU will open practice for the first time, Saturday, April 7 when the Owls travel to Fort Lauderdale and Orange Bowl Field at Carter Park, as part of a benefit for Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) High School. Practice will begin at 10:30 a.m.

At the conclusion of the FAU’s practice the Owls’ coaching staff will host a youth camp from 1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Each youth camper, grades K-8, will be asked to pay $20 in order to participate. Fans attending either session will be asked for donations at the entry. There also be a $5 raffle for a three-night stay at the Boca Raton Resort, and the day will feature face painting, giveaways and bounce houses. Proceeds from the day’s events will benefit the MSD victims and their families.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“Good energy today. We did not tackle. The guys did a good job of staying up. I thought guys had great energy on both sides of the ball. Defense probably dominated for the most part, which a lot of times when you don’t tackle it happens because you aren’t getting missed tackles or falling forward on the spots. The guys played really well. Offense made a couple of big plays, but not really consistent, which a lot of times happens early in camp like this. De’Andre (Johnson) had a good, nice long touchdown pass to Willie (Wright). Had another one that Willie almost caught and Chris (Robison) made some plays moving out of the pocket. Protection struggled today. There are some really good pass rushers. We have got some pretty elite pass rushers for this level.”

• FAU’s offense struggled to get going versus a defense which showed multiple blitz options. That pressure ended with several sacks, including by William Davis, Rashad Smith and Hunter Snyder
  • Linebacker Khantrell Burden picked up a fumble and returned it 40-plus yards for a score
  • Late in the day, De’Andre Johnson hit Willie Wright in the end zone for a score

The Owls will next be back on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields Tuesday and Thursday next week with flex scheduled to start at approximately 9:30 AM.

Back to the top

Notables from Spring Session 7 via FAU SID Katrina McCormack:

FAU football began Carter Park Practice Week on Tuesday morning. The Owls worked for two hours focusing on individual work as well as team drills. The team will work through similar drills on Thursday and will then travel to Carter Park for Saturday’s workout.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“Practice seven. (I) thought the offense did some good things, especially early. Start with team run, that’s big suppose-to plays. Good to see, because we’ve not had a lot of those and (it’s) been kind of defensive dominant practices for the most part, so you always want balance, so there’s good and bad to that. But again, very impressive. Their energy…they’ve still got it at the end, very competitive, so it’s a special group. Kinda makes our job pretty easy. Now we just gotta get better execution.”

The Owls will be back on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields Thursday, with flex scheduled to start at approximately 9:30 AM.
Back to the top
Control functions: