Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: #16 Southern Miss vs FAU - March 23-25, 2018

Add topic

Great win, but with baseball the next test comes quickly.  With Marman missing his start, if there is a slow start today do the Owls play a little more strategic with the pen and look to win the series tomorrow?  That is much more a professional team's approach to a series, but I am new to FAU baseball.  I am certain they play  to win every game, but winning the series against other top C-USA competition is important (especially at home).  
Back to the top

Yes we are down Marman, but we are replacing him with another quality arm. I'm certain John wants to get 5, maybe six innings out of him. Then let the pen take over. They want to win today. SoMiss is a bad a– hitting team. We just need to score more. We need to get to their pen as early as possible.
Back to the top

Dang dang and dang.I feel terrible for Marman. Our pitching today, even though it was shaky, held a powerful SoMiss team to 5 runs. A winable number.But they were better. Try again Sunday. I hope that Kyle gets good reports and if he doesn't I pray all goes well. What a great kid.
Back to the top

FAU baseball (17-6, 3-2) saw a potential game-tying three-run home run caught at the wall, ending hopes for a second straight come-from-behind victory as the Owls fell to No. 14 Southern Miss Saturday night by a final score of 5-2.

Southern Miss (16-5, 3-1) scored twice in each of the second and third innings, which would hold up until the end. The big blow was a two-run homer by Matt Wallner in the latter frame.

Owl starter Mark Nowatnick settled down after that hit, retiring 12 of the final 13 batters he faced. Meanwhile, the Owls chipped away with runs in the third (back-to-back two-out singles by Tyler Frank and Joe Montes) and fifth (an RBI single by David Miranda).

USM added another run on a solo shot by Hunter Slater leading off the eighth for a three-run advantage. In each of their last two innings, the Owls put multiple runners on, but were kept off the board. With runners on the corners and two outs in the eighth, USM closer Wallner got a strikeout to end the first threat.

Then in the ninth, Diamond Johnson and Montes singled, again putting men on first and third, this time with just one out. After another strikeout by Wallner, Pages lifted a deep flyball to left, with Mason Irby catching it on the track to end the game.

“I thought our guys kept fighting, we had a shot there,” said Head Coach John McCormack. “The wind was not in our direction, I didn’t think that the way it was blowing when (Pedro Pages) hit it, especially with their leftfielder kept going to his left. If he had pulled it, no doubt, but I thought it was a good game. We just have to be a little bit better, especially early. We gotta be ready to go at noon (Sunday), we gotta get a zero and then be able to put up a run in the bottom of the first and make them chase us.”

The rubber matchup pits Vince Coletti against Walker Powell, with first pitch scheduled for noon Sunday.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2018 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

After two scoreless frames, Owl starter Vince Coletti is roughed up for five runs.

A grandslam is the big hit, while a pair of doubles also enjoyed by the visitors.

Bot 3rd

USM 5  FAU 0

Back to the top

The Owls go on order in the 3rd, but the Golden Eagles put two more on in the top of the fourth and Coletti can't get out of the jam with another run crossing the plate.

Blake Sanderson secures the last out of the frame.

Bot 4th

USM 6  FAU 0
Back to the top

David Miranda singles and is driven to third by Pages double. Eric Rivera puts the Owls on the board with a SAC fly.

Final line on Coletti: 3.2IP, 7H, 6R, 6ER, 3BB, 2K.

Top 5th

USM 6  FAU 1

Back to the top

A double and three singles sees Sanderson chased from the hill.

Unfortunately, USM scores three more runs and there is just one out.

Now a 9-1 game.
Back to the top

Mike Ruff finishes up the top half of the 5th.

Owls have a huge hole to dig out of.

Bot 5th

USM 9  FAU 1
Back to the top

Owls strand two in their turn.

Top 6th

USM 9  FAU 1
Back to the top
Control functions: