Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Schmidt Complex for Academic & Athletic Excellence Groundbreaking Renderings

Add topic

owlsdad said

His point is if that is the total donation/funds available, we have MORE than what the cost is and it would seem unlikely we would not be doing something like an indoor facility - we should be ADDING something to the plans.  The estimated costs increased from $40 to $45M, and the total available IF the Schmidt donation is separate would be $56M.  So why scrap something that arguably is a top-3 item regarding the athletes if you have more money than you need?
Posted On: Mar 29th 2018, 2:07 PM #377870

Yeah the math is strange.

In the article they link to the Oct 2016 Facilities Program (the document that lays out the general idea, location, and project costs and constructed schedule, etc)

On page 40 it shows:

33,500,000 from FAU Foundation
6,500,000 from University Funds

for a Total Project Fund of $40M

…and given what we heard about delays due to fundraising issues, that would make sense if the $16M was in the 33.5M figure, as fauowl had suggested. I remember hearing about $1M here, $5M there, etc but it would be impressive if we miraculously cobbled together 33.5M independently of the 16M and the individual donations making up that extra 33.5M were somehow not large enough to merit public announcement.

That just doesn't make as much sense unless FAU truly has been collecting a good amount of money, hasn't announced it, and our local coverage being so exceedingly bare outside of sports/controversies that we just never heard about it through good ol' earnest journalism.

Granted, this document was from October 2016, it's 2018 now, and they were just projections at that time.

Making things even more confusing, FAU's most recent Major Project Status Report (on March 28th of this year) lists the Schmidt Center as a $65M project, of which $45M is slated for construction… again it's even more than we thought.
Back to the top

Furthermore I'm curious to see what the final facility looks like because right now these renderings are pretty underwhelming to me, which is weird because
A) HKS knows what they're doing with sports facilities
and
B) we're spending a lot of money on this… especially if it's $65M.

For that amount of money I expected something (design-wise) close to Clemson ($55M) or Oregon ($68M) new facilities:

So that's what I was expecting. Hopefully that's what the inside will look like.

You can chalk it up to personal taste, but there's no denying that for the amount of money we're spending we shouldn't get a half-assed product (if we were spending $20M it'd be a different story), that the non-football components like classrooms shouldn't draw away that much money from designing the "showy" parts of the product, and that we've expressed an interest in being "big-time" and this is what "big-time" looks like.

Looking forward to seeing how this looks next Fall!
Back to the top

It looks like there is some movement on the actual building construction. They're bringing in some materials and were digging some stuff up in the ground.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

It looks like there is some movement on the actual building construction. They're bringing in some materials and were digging some stuff up in the ground.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2018, 10:58 AM #378127

it may be dirt for the heavier vehicles for the stadium construction, but you could be right. i know part of the construction is moving utilities around the field before actual building construction could begin. We will see. I know the priority is getting the stadium portion done.

Back to the top

faufan2017 said

There was a big pile of dirt, and also a big giant hole dug. I will step out on a limb and say, maybe the big pile of dirt came from the big hole.
Back to the top

That's speculation Senator !!
Back to the top

fauowl said

faufan2017 said

There was a big pile of dirt, and also a big giant hole dug. I will step out on a limb and say, maybe the big pile of dirt came from the big hole.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2018, 6:46 PM #378133

I couldn’t be more proud of my FAU degree.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

has anyone been by the stadium since the spring game? Because I dont see how they will get that portion completed by the start of the season.
Back to the top

If they get after it the new locker rooms can be done, the new building - nah, maybe up but finished in 4 months????
Back to the top

has anyone been by the stadium recently? Just wanted to see if anyone has a idea of progress
Back to the top
Control functions: