Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 Spring Game

Add topic

And to take it in a different direction, I thought our D looked pretty darn good.
Back to the top

@Owldad… Johnson was going against the #2 D. I agree that Johnson has better speed. I also know that the D knew they couldn't hit him and pulled up early ,giving the impression he could break away. My biggest concern with him, really the only concern, the deep ball. 0-15 yards, he's fine. After that , the ball flutters. Even the caught balls (one by Wllie Wrlght), he had to actually stop. Look, I would love to be the O Coordinator and have this problem. I think we can run a successful offense with either of them. My opinion is probably wrong. I was a Parr guy.
Back to the top

@LocalOwl - here are the rosters for yesterday:

http://www.fauowlsnest.com/uploads/filedump/Football%20Game%20Notes/RedWhiteSpringGame2018.pdf

On the Red team's defense (who Johnson was going against), I see a couple of guys I would expect are 1st team defense:
Azeez Al-Shaair
Jalen Young
Andrew Soroh
Herb Miller
Chris Tooley
Rashad Smith
etc.

I am pretty sure it was 1s on 1s and 2s on 2s for the most part yesterday.
Back to the top

According to Rick's April19th post about the format, Jonson was going against the 2 D. Yes , I think there was some co mingling, but the D line was the #2, not sure AlShire played, etc. Jonson had #1 O line. Regardless of the players , his QB play was not impressive. I love his running ability. I  worry about hid durability due to his frequency of running. If he gets the hod, we better give him sliding lessons from Coach Mac over at the baseball field. I'm excited to see what both of these guys can do. FAU has two of the top four QB's playing college football in the state of Florida. Maybe 1 and 2.
Back to the top

Now I am just picking, but here is Rick's post:

Here's the format for the 2018 Spring Game, per FAU…

Teams: Red vs White

White = 1st Team Offense (Johnson) & 2nd Team Defense
Red = 2nd Team Offense (Robison) & 1st Team Defense
Full contact for the 1st Half
Limited contact for the 2nd Half

***Winner gets steak lunch on Monday, while the loser will have hot dogs and beans.

That means that the Red team had the 1st team defense - and that is who Johnson played against.  I thought that unit looked MUCH better than the unit Robison played against.  But I totally agree Robison looked to be the sharper passer and Johnson the better runner.
Back to the top

"NOT turn the ball over" - THIS is what will determine the starter! THIS is what moved Driskel into the starter role last year.
Back to the top

The defense seemed to play well but they still dropped some coverages and mistackled at times. They didn't give up any big plays but did have a few pass interferences. We need to clean that up. Can't have any penalities if we want a chance against Oklahoma.

The offense needs some huge help. Really low completion rate. Tons of turnovers. Poor decisions by both QBs. Some snap troubles occasionally as well.

I know I pointed out the weaknesses for the most part, but overall we're still doing pretty well for April. Our defense might be one of the best in the country and if we can somehow improve our offensive from last year, we might have a shot to be really good. Let's remember that last year, we only passed the ball like 10-14 times a game. We are a run heavy offense and that might just be enough to get by.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"NOT turn the ball over" - THIS is what will determine the starter! THIS is what moved Driskel into the starter role last year.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2018, 8:32 AM #378125

Right, which is partly why they kept praising him as a "game manager".

No one will argue that Johnson and Robison are the highest-rated recruits at the QB position that we've ever had. But those first few games are where they're going to show if they are game managers.

I know expectations are high for a New Years bowl game after last year's performance and you'd have a better argument for that if you had Driskel and the O-line back but with these new guys, we know there are going to be growing pains. We were saved from a worse season last season by switching from Parr to Driskel and he already had the game experience to take it and go. We don't have that luxury this season.

I think our biggest concern has to be that O-line, solidifying it as quickly as possible. I think the issues at QB will evolve a lot faster because of the talent there.
Back to the top

I don't know much about spring games around the conference, but I do think this years team is much more talented than last years team, which bodes well for us repeating off of talent alone.  While I think both of our QBs are more talented than Driskell was, he was good about not turning the ball over and making the right play which is what we needed.  Fortunately those are things that can be taught unlike running a 4.4 40.  
Back to the top

I missed the 1st quarter, and was wrangling my four young kids so I wasn't 100% dialed in, but from what I saw, and what we know of Kiffin and his history, ball security and turnovers will be the top concern. Johnson fumbled and threw a pick, and Robison threw a pick, but Johnson's passes generally looked easier to intercept - wobbly and floating, and off-target on the long ball.

If Robison can be at least a little elusive in the backfield, and throws tighter passes, combined with Motor and the rest of the backfield, including B.J. Emmons, whenever he shows up (unless I missed something and he's already here or is going elsewhere), then we should have a good running game to open the passing game. I know the OL is a little bit of a question mark, but I'd assume some of that will be squared away by fall.

I'd anticipate seeing a lot of both quarterbacks for the first few games, until somebody really separates and takes the position. Neither Kiffin nor Saban showed any hesitation at Alabama to let the QB competition continue until one player took the position for himself. My guess is that we'll have a QB after Air Force or UCF.
Back to the top
Control functions: