Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: #18 FAU vs Rice - April 20th - 22nd, 2018

Add topic

Before we complain further about the unconscionable call to rob Pedro, there is a good chance it would not have mattered anyway.

At time of Pedro’s hit, there was 9:39 left before the deadline.

For the record, between last pitch of 8th and 1st pitch of 9th: 2:34. Between last pitch of T9 and 1st pitch of B9, 3:36, but Pedro had to fully gear up, accounting for the difference. Assuming Rivera made 3rd out, and allowing another 2 minutes for that, for a total of 5:36 for Rivera's AB and the the 1st pitch of the bottom of the 9th, leaving 4:03 to deadline.

Sarchet hit came 2:12 after 1st pitch, now down to 1:51 before deadline.

Graham’s 0:48 discussion with Cruz brings it down to 1:03.

Even without our mound visit, game would have ended on 2-0 count.

Since home team behind and not getting its full inning, reverts back to tie and 9th inning wiped off the books.
Back to the top

I understand the game ended in the bottom of the 9th with no outs and runners on first and second.  What would have happened if FAU had scored in the top of the 9th (on Pages' hit)? Would the game still have ended with FAU winning 7-6?  Or would they have allowed Rice to play out the bottom of the 9th?
Back to the top

I can see not starting a new inning after a time limit like in tournament ball but to stop in the middle of an inning or not allow a inning to finish completely for anything other than weather is just stupid to me! TherE is no crying in baseball and NO TIES! :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

dore95 said

I understand the game ended in the bottom of the 9th with no outs and runners on first and second.  What would have happened if FAU had scored in the top of the 9th (on Pages' hit)? Would the game still have ended with FAU winning 7-6?  Or would they have allowed Rice to play out the bottom of the 9th?
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2018, 9:33 AM #378143
Under the C-USA rule, play immediately stops, so not allowed to finish the inning. Since Rice "batted 2nd" in the game (NCAA nomenclature since in NCAA the team that bats 2nd isn't always the "home" team such as in conference tournaments) and had the umps not blown the call on Pedro's 2B, Rice would be behind in an incomplete inning. Therefore, that inning is wiped off the books completely; it never happened. Since it was tied, all the stats for the 9th stand.

NCAA Rule 10-28-a:
SECTION 28. a. If a regulation game is called, include the record of all individual and team actions up to the moment the game ends as specified in Rule 5-8-b.
A.R.1 If the scoring during an incomplete inning has no bearing on the outcome of the contest, include all individual and team records.
A.R. 2 If it is a tie game, do not enter a winning or losing pitcher.

NCAA RUle 5-8-b:
It shall be a regulation game if called by the umpire at any time after five innings have been completed, and the score shall be that of the last equal inning played, except that in the following circumstances the score of the game shall be the total number of runs that each team has scored:
  1. If the team second at bat has scored more runs at the end of its fourth inning than the team first at bat has scored in five completed innings;
  2. If the team second at bat has scored in an unequal number of innings more runs than the team first at bat; or
3) If the team second at bat is at bat when the game is called and has scored in the incomplete inning the same number of runs or more runs than the team firstat bat.
4) By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the
beginning of the contest, a game may be stopped after seven innings if
one team is ahead by at least 10 runs.
Each team must play an equal number of innings unless shortened because
the home team needs none or only part of its half of the final inning.

And, finally, NCAA Rule 5-10:

SECTION 10. a. A regulation tie game shall be declared by the umpire-in- chief:

1) If the score is tied when play is terminated after five or more equal innings; or

2) If the team that went to bat second is at bat when play is terminated and has scored in the uncompleted inning the same number of runs as the other team.

b. Any regulation game called by the umpire with the score tied shall be declared a “tie” game.

Note: All individual and team averages from a tie game shall be incorporated into the official playing record.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I can see not starting a new inning after a time limit like in tournament ball but to stop in the middle of an inning or not allow a inning to finish completely for anything other than weather is just stupid to me! TherE is no crying in baseball and NO TIES! :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2018, 10:32 AM #378145

See NCAA Rule 5-10 above. If you don't like it, there was a familiar name on the Rules committee for 2017 with whom you could have taken issue. If you're interested, go to Baseball Rules of the Game | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA and scroll to the bottom. You will see the minutes for 2015, 2016, and 2017 Rules Committee meetings. The last page of each set of minutes lists all members present and, in one case (2017), the only member to be absent.
Back to the top

MLBBoca said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Apr 23rd 2018, 10:32 AM #378145

See NCAA Rule 5-10 above. If you don't like it, there was a familiar name on the Rules committee for 2017 with whom you could have taken issue. If you're interested, go to Baseball Rules of the Game | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA and scroll to the bottom. You will see the minutes for 2015, 2016, and 2017 Rules Committee meetings. The last page of each set of minutes lists all members present and, in one case (2017), the only member to be absent.
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2018, 11:17 AM #378148
:Smug:
Wow, I have not stopped laughing!!! Really doing his job, even then!!!! :Smug:
Back to the top

This is probably the most cerebral discussion of baseball I've seen in a while.
Back to the top

I originally said that I never saw it happen. I knew that there was a rule that would support their decision. There is probably a  rule about transvestites running on the field and interfering with play. But I have never seen it happen either.. (so much for the cerebral discussion). I'm shocked John hasn't lost his mind over this one.
Back to the top
Control functions: