Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 FAU Baseball in the Polls

Add topic

how much does D1baseball ranking matter?

When I saw one of their writers oppose the final ruling over the Rice game, I had a feeling we wouldn't be ranked on their website.
Back to the top

Not a heck of a lot. Mostly bragging rights. Good for recruiting. Once the tourny starts, it all comes down to where you end up.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Not a heck of a lot. Mostly bragging rights. Good for recruiting. Once the tourny starts, it all comes down to where you end up.
Posted On: Apr 24th 2018, 5:34 PM #378161

who's ranking system matters the most in college baseball?
Back to the top

IMHO the coaches poll is the most accurate…simply because they are the true "experts".

But as for influence, MLBBoca said that both the Coaches poll and the NCBWA can carry weight for post season considerations…
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

how much does D1baseball ranking matter?

When I saw one of their writers oppose the final ruling over the Rice game, I had a feeling we wouldn't be ranked on their website.
Posted On: Apr 24th 2018, 3:51 PM #378160

Kendall Rogers. He's best buds with Wayne Graham. D1 is a two-man poll and not influential. It really lost credibility last year when due to Roger's vote, Rice was ranked well into the season even though several games below .500.  After the first couple weeks, D1 was the only poll in which Rice was even receiving votes.

Rogers was at the game Saturday, and his tweets then showed bias, though somewhat in check for Rogers. Still, anyone reading them would have no doubt for whom he was rooting.

I've called him out on the RPI calcs, which D1 now controls, as D1 often makes errors that have favored Rice.The first was when Rice hosted a weekend tournament against teams from several hundred miles away, at Minute Maid, which is 5 miles from the Rice campus, and he credited Rice with neutral games rather than home games. He abjectly refused to apply the NCAA rules for how that should have been a home series for Rice. Oddly enough, ever other tournament at a MLB or MiLB stadium he has gotten right. Another time, I called him out on some other RPI oddities, again favoring Rice and this time disfavoring FAU. I got Warren Nolan and Boyd of Boyd's world to join in that one when I showed them how D1's calcs were mathematically impossible, and D1 did correct the RPI's that time.

Rogers tweeted on Sunday evening that he was putting out an article on Tyler Frank that was to be published yesterday. He apparently scrapped that, and instead did an article on Graham.

While Rogers has huge issues with his bias, in my opinion much more so than any national reporter at any level, including Peter Gammons, in Rogers defense, he did look up and tweeted that Graham had visits in the bottom of the 9th as well. He admitted to me in an email yesterday that he had never heard of the dropdead rule when he first tweeted about being appalled by the outcome on Sunday. Once he found out about it, he did also tweet out that it was a rule and was why the game was called. If he had know the rule, and not tweeted with his bias, much of the uproar would have never occurred. That is squarely on Roger's shoulders.
Back to the top

Rick said

IMHO the coaches poll is the most accurate…simply because they are the true "experts".
I tend to think the coaches poll in any sport does NOT hold much water at all.  Maybe baseball is different, but coaches tend to have somebody else vote for them (at least in Football and Basketball), and I don't see any way that a head coach can spend any real amount of time reviewing/evaluating/ranking any teams other than the ones he has already played or the ones he is getting ready to play.
Back to the top

Rick said

…After a 1-for-4 week, all but assured they will also fall out of the polls, with the exception of perfect game, where they may hold on to a bottom rung.
Posted On: Apr 29th 2018, 8:34 PM #378181

Perfect game is out, and the Owls are no longer listed after appearing at #16 last week.

The chances they appear in any other are slim to none and slim has left town.

:Straight-Face:

Back to the top

BAD week Owls, get it together guys!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I don't see any way that a head coach can spend any real amount of time reviewing/evaluating/ranking any teams other than the ones he has already played or the ones he is getting ready to play.
Posted On: Apr 25th 2018, 3:21 PM #378167

Just a comment on this since we had a situation where they would have to know what we did and how we played to make a conscious effort to vote us down…in the coaches poll we went from 49 votes in last week to 3 votes after we tanked…given this illustration, they do keep up with quite a bit.
Back to the top

Aside from some votes in the NCBWA Top 30, the Owls are no where to be found for May 7th after last weeks showing...
Back to the top
Control functions: