Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Eight teams who could crash the College Football Playoff in 2018

Back to the top

I don’t really believe we will pull this off with OK, UCF (2018 National Champs 😂) and Marshall away on the schedule but it’s always nice to be in the discussion and get more publicity.  

I am expecting more than some others have posted on this and other boards.  Anything below 8 wins would be a huge step backwards and I believe we will be favored in 10 of 12 and should win those 10.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

You guys know that I generally try to be conservative on estimating wins. I think ten ,minimum. Crazy right ? Here's why. First, our defense is going to be kick butt awesome. They will put point on the board this year. The question seems to be QB. We could not have two coaches, Kiffin and Weiss, better at taking two super talented , inexperienced QB's, like we have, and easing them into greatness. The QB's will have play makers  all around them. Weiss will spread the ball around . Open up our offense like never seem before. DO NOT expect Motor, Motor, Motor. Yes, he will be important. But we have other runners this year that will get carries. The TE's will be used like never before. Weiss will spread the O all over the field. I am very excited about the up coming season. Mid way through the season, FAU may have the best QB in the state. Heck, maybe the top two. Are my expectations too high. Maybe. But I don't think so.
Back to the top

Rick said

Vegas was way off last season…4.5 wins.

I'm not on board with 9 right now, but would go 7 with a bad break and 8 with a good season. 9 would be an excellent season with a positive break.

Oh and I need to dig up that QB quote I made a couple weeks ago, because it is looking more and more like that is going to happen.

Think Jake Elman ran something about it the other day…
Posted On: Jun 4th 2018, 2:04 PM #378674

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

8 would be far from a good season, not saying it’s not possible but based on what we are returning and schedule 8 would be a borderline horrible season and I can guarantee the players and coaching staff would agree.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

We have 3 legitimately difficult games, one a sure fire loss (OU), one we will certainly not be favored in (UCF) and one we can all agree at this point has the realistic potential to be an L (MU away). Then you have teams that will be gunning for us since we will catch nobody off guard this year. I will certainly take a repeat of last year's records, but I also tend to be conservative when it comes to my teams. With that said, I probably see 9-10 wins, but want to set realistic expectations.

The schedule really isn't that easy. I am sure UNT will be more difficult with a chip on their shoulder at their place, and MTSU will not be a slouch at their place. Even the FIU game I'd expect to be a bit more competitive this year as I think they are flying under the radar a bit. Now, I'm not saying we lose all these games, but I don't necessarily see the same cake walk through the conference that we saw last year given the schedule, the new staff and a new QB who to this point hasn't taken a D1 snap. I also think no matter who you are – even Alabama – it's tough going through a conference unblemished two years in a row – so many unknown factors and surprises along the way in any season.
Back to the top

I really shouldn’t have said schedule since we have Marshall, MT and NT away on top of OK and UCF but again I believe we will still be favored in all three conference games and you should win the games you’re favored in.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

No one in the mainstream media is doing anything expect what they always do, which is regurgitate last years success into a "forecast" for the upcoming season.

There main thing lacking in an assessment with any merit, or quality points and counterpoints, is who is going to play quarterback, and how we will combat the loss of perhaps the greatest pure signal caller we have ever had - Driskel.

Yes, can't even believe I am saying this, but the guy was ridiculous smart…we don't have that going for us right now, and it is an issue.

Also…

2. We also won't likely play at 90 miles an hour

3. We also have to rebuild the offensive line

4. We also have to install new systems on BOTH sides of the ball

So, lets open it up here…

Who thinks we will win 9 games (Vegas line) with these issues to solve, and WHY do you think that with supporting analysis??
Back to the top

I'm thinking our D keeps us in the win column until out O can gel and get rolling. Maybe I'm a foolish homer, but I'm sticking with OVER 9. We are loaded with talented skill guys. We need the O-line to get into a groove. Hope we don't miss Coach Justice too much. He was great.
Back to the top

Rick said

We also won't likely play at 90 miles an hour
This is something I have been thinking about. The hurry-up was something that really nobody had answers for in C USA play. I think our athletes on O are still superior to other C USA defenses so that we don't have to go as up-tempo, but I am hoping this is still integrated to some degree. It may sound a bit "gimmicky", but it's the hurry up, 90 mph O which I always felt may be a wild card in giving us a puncher's chance against p5 competition. Pound for pound it would be difficult for us to counter toe for toe against say, an Oklahoma, without some tricks up the sleeve.
Back to the top
Control functions: