Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF takes hit, and the 3-4 defense

UCF D just took a BIG hit;

Tre Neal, starting safety, just did the Grad Transfer thing to Nebraska!

Game just got more interesting!!!
Back to the top

I wonder how the Golden Knight fans feel about their beloved ex-coach this morning.
Back to the top

He was not going to start……

I read he lost his job in the spring.
Back to the top

I had heard that was a possibility too but he was their 2nd leading returning tackler and had a very good season including 3 ints.! I think this is still good for us though! The UCF D was NOT great last season (ie could not stop a good O) and new DC Shannon as DC going to a 4-3 from a 3-4 will not work well with the O's they will face!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I had heard that was a possibility too but he was their 2nd leading returning tackler and had a very good season including 3 ints.! I think this is still good for us though! The UCF D was NOT great last season (ie could not stop a good O) and new DC Shannon as DC going to a 4-3 from a 3-4 will not work well with the O's they will face!
Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 7:20 AM #379149

Please GA Owl tell me schematically why the 3-4 D isn't good vs the spread?

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 8:45 AM #379150

Oh man, we're gonna talk X's and O's!  

I'm no John Madden without a controller in my hand but I would vote for a 3-4 defense against the spread/RPO based offenses.

You get that extra guy standing up, making that quick read and reacting instead of being down in a 3 or 4 point stance.

Not to mention a linebacker is much quicker than a d lineman, and they can flood the side of the attack.

Personally, I prefer a 4-3 but you gotta keep up with the offensive schemes.

(Side note - I highly recommend the book "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" by Pat Kirwan if you want to see the game in a whole different way, and understand x's and o's a little more).

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 7:20 AM #379149

Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 8:45 AM #379150

3-4 IS BETTER! Thank you for making my point. Shannon is going to a 4-3 at UCF!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Shannon is going to a 4-3 at UCF!

Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 9:41 AM #379153

Shannon is going back to the Canes of the 80's when he was a linebacker.

To cover the college offenses of today (especially the G5 teams) you need to go nickel, dime, or 3-4 base I would think to cover the three man sets you typically see.  Add the Run Pass Option and you need more defensive coverage speed.

That extra lineman is great for 3 yards and a cloud of dust conferences but I can't imagine that's what the AAC utilizes.

Again, I'm no coach but have been following college football for a while.

Back to the top

That's cool, College Coaches are just guys too, it is not rocket science. Anyhow, and this iS one we ALL can agree on I think - GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Hoot N Holler is my new go to guy.  See question…answer question.
Back to the top
Control functions: