Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF takes hit, and the 3-4 defense

Local Owl said

Hoot N Holler is my new go to guy.  See question…answer question.
Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 4:06 PM #379157

Ha! Man, I'm sorry if I stole your desire to pontificate upon the pros and cons of the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses.

But for the sake of being fair and balanced like Fox News, Shannon's angle for the 4-3 could be to pressure the quarterback and create more disruption and sacks with 2 defensive ends.  

Sack generating DE's are money makers in the NFL, which again could be an angle to attract players to UCF.

That being said, I still don't like it against the spread/run pass option/zone read offenses of college where the main job of the QB is to read and react to the DE.

Back to the top

We will carve them to shreds provided we can keep the time between snaps reasonably low… 
Back to the top

Rick said

We will carve them to shreds provided we can keep the time between snaps reasonably low… 
Posted On: Jul 21st 2018, 8:23 PM #379159

Good point, and brings up a good question.

How much of the Kendal Briles quick strike offense will we retain?  I absolutely loved the "go fast" mentality last year (quick to the line of scrimmage, call the play quickly from the sideline, hand the ball to the ref after getting tackled, etc) and I hope we keep it.

And yes, I agree that we carve them up - with a first time head coach and Randy Shannon's track record as the DC - advantage FAU.
Back to the top

I just watch replays of several of last years games and Coach K was CONSTANTLY motioning to get it going FAST! I think we will be fine, HE WANTS THE TEMPO VERY FAST!
Back to the top

Put it this way. The sec OC's hated seeing shannon as Uf DC leave.    
Back to the top

I'm not even worried about UCF. The only game I'm worried about is Oklahoma. We should crush everyone else. The thing with UCF is, we see programs crash and burn in 1 season all the time, every year. There's always teams that had great years that end up being average. UCF has so many signs of just not being that good next year. The coach and his whole staff is gone, players are transferring out. Heupel has zip experience. And honestly, he doesn't seem as smart as Frost, who's a really good coach. Im expecting to hang 50+ on them and win easily 
Back to the top

Love your confidence.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I'm not even worried about UCF. The only game I'm worried about is Oklahoma. We should crush everyone else. The thing with UCF is, we see programs crash and burn in 1 season all the time, every year. There's always teams that had great years that end up being average. UCF has so many signs of just not being that good next year. The coach and his whole staff is gone, players are transferring out. Heupel has zip experience. And honestly, he doesn't seem as smart as Frost, who's a really good coach. Im expecting to hang 50+ on them and win easily 
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2018, 10:03 PM #379187

Oh Man the guy who makes the biggest FAU homers squirm is back
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jul 23rd 2018, 10:03 PM #379187

I'm literally not even worried about Oklahoma. New QB and they'll be overconfident. Plus their defense will be exposed by our explosive offense. And we've got the C-USA preseason favorites on our defense. I say we hang 63 on them, and hold them to 17. Mark my words. This is our year to bust the CFP. 
Back to the top

I think Kiffin will run the offense and call a lot of the plays, and control the offensive tempo for at least the first several games to let CW get comfortable. So I'd expect a really quick HUNH for a while.

But you guys all know this already lol. This is probably the most cerebral message board in all of college football lol. Probably because we all had to actually go to college to be a fan of FAU, and not the rando fans you get of Alabama and Auburn who descend from the hills on gameday before retreating back to their moonshine stills until the next home game.
Back to the top
Control functions: