Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thoughts on tickets for FAU vs. OU Game

teambeer said

+10

We don’t have a qb or an Oline that’s played together and new coordinators in every role. Motor scored all of those touchdowns thanks to a really good Oline. 

I could be taking snaps at OU this year and they’d still be favored by a ton. 

We absolutely have a punchers chance, but that’s if we have a +3 TO margin day, the D and ST need to score for us too.

I am interested to see how well OU ends up this year with a full season of Lincoln Riley showing his coaching chops. Having a guy like Mayfield is once in a lifetime for a coach and can cover up some inadequacy. This year will show if he’s a top flight coach or not. (I have no opinion on it, just recognizing how big of an advantage a guy like Baker is)

Lane is an X factor for us. He proves again and again, he’s a really damn good football coach. Still learning the CEO thing…but Xs and Os, he’s one of the best and that matters in games like this. 
Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 7:58 AM #379369

On the positive side I will say this.
I am not worried about the oline at all because they are way ahead of last year. Remember this time last year QB's were getting balls snapped over the head every other play. From what I have heard and read the oline has settled. BJ has the LG spot locked up since spring and the two GT seem to have spots locked up at center and RG as of now I am not reading about rotating guys every day.
Also QB seems to be ahead of last year, as I pointed out as good as Driskel was getting the team in the right plays he did not win a game with his arm last year. If De'Andre id equal passing his legs already provide more of a threat.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

teambeer said

+10

We don’t have a qb or an Oline that’s played together and new coordinators in every role. Motor scored all of those touchdowns thanks to a really good Oline. 

I could be taking snaps at OU this year and they’d still be favored by a ton. 

We absolutely have a punchers chance, but that’s if we have a +3 TO margin day, the D and ST need to score for us too.

I am interested to see how well OU ends up this year with a full season of Lincoln Riley showing his coaching chops. Having a guy like Mayfield is once in a lifetime for a coach and can cover up some inadequacy. This year will show if he’s a top flight coach or not. (I have no opinion on it, just recognizing how big of an advantage a guy like Baker is)

Lane is an X factor for us. He proves again and again, he’s a really damn good football coach. Still learning the CEO thing…but Xs and Os, he’s one of the best and that matters in games like this. 
Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 7:58 AM #379369

On the positive side I will say this.
I am not worried about the oline at all because they are way ahead of last year. Remember this time last year QB's were getting balls snapped over the head every other play. From what I have heard and read the oline has settled. BJ has the LG spot locked up since spring and the two GT seem to have spots locked up at center and RG as of now I am not reading about rotating guys every day.
Also QB seems to be ahead of last year, as I pointed out as good as Driskel was getting the team in the right plays he did not win a game with his arm last year. If De'Andre id equal passing his legs already provide more of a threat.

Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 8:30 AM #379371

I mean, no one has seen our offense with a real home run threat on the QB run option…..this could really open up some holes for Motor and put our receivers on some islands….this could definitely get us some points against OU, but also could be devastating to CUSA defenses

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I too am not worried one bit about the O-Line and QB situation. What we have to remember is that the QB's we have now have more talent than Driskel. Also, the new Guards we have (Ettiene and Riles) are huge. Junior Diaz is a seasoned veteran at Center. My only worry is that whoever the new QB is takes a few weeks to get good, because we obviously have a frontloaded schedule. I just hope that we can complete passes downfield against OU. That will determine the outcome. I think we've got a shot.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I too am not worried one bit about the O-Line and QB situation. What we have to remember is that the QB's we have now have more talent than Driskel. Also, the new Guards we have (Ettiene and Riles) are huge. Junior Diaz is a seasoned veteran at Center. My only worry is that whoever the new QB is takes a few weeks to get good, because we obviously have a frontloaded schedule. I just hope that we can complete passes downfield against OU. That will determine the outcome. I think we've got a shot.
Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 12:20 PM #379378

You could probably argue Kyler Murray has more talent than Baker. To just dismiss Oklahoma is just silly and dumb.

We have some big question marks going into that first game. Could turn out great, but may not especially to a program as talented as them
Back to the top

I'm not dismissing OU. But they haven't won a NC since 2000. Out of all of the "elite" programs, they're the one I want to play if we have too. I'd have much less confidence about our chances if we were playing at OSU or Alabama. Those are programs that are a level above OU. They're not good enough to win a NC. 
Theres an inferiority complex some here have that it's like we don't even belong on the same field as Oklahoma. That we're still the program that was down for so long. We're not. We have a 10 game winning streak, I don't even think we've trailed in any of the past 7 games or something like that. I'm treating this like we're a big time program and they're not Bama 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I'm not dismissing OU. But they haven't won a NC since 2000. Out of all of the "elite" programs, they're the one I want to play if we have too. I'd have much less confidence about our chances if we were playing at OSU or Alabama. Those are programs that are a level above OU. They're not good enough to win a NC. 
Theres an inferiority complex some here have that it's like we don't even belong on the same field as Oklahoma. That we're still the program that was down for so long. We're not. We have a 10 game winning streak, I don't even think we've trailed in any of the past 7 games or something like that. I'm treating this like we're a big time program and they're not Bama 
Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 3:28 PM #379380

We’re not a big time program. No where close 
Back to the top

Reality check…… We are FAU. They are Oklahoma. They are good. We are getting good. This will test us to see how far we have advanced.
Back to the top

Felt like I was missing a few list items from my previous post - luckily a nice summary was posted today by Jake Elman.

Quote edited for consistency to the discussion:

"Hunter Snyder was added to the Ted Hendricks Award watch list (top defensive end), AP All-American running back Devin Singletary (American Heritage) was named to the Maxwell (best overall player), Doak Walker (best running back), and Walter Camp (best offensive player) watch lists last month. Running back Gerald Hearns (Wuerffel Trophy), tight end Harrison Bryant (John Mackey), linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair (Bednarik, Butkus, and Nagurski), cornerback Shelton Lewis (Nagurski and Jim Thorpe), and safety Jalen Young (Jim Thorpe) all were also named to watch lists this summer."

Crazy times and signs of why this opener should be a fun game!
Back to the top

"Do you realize we brought in a QB last week and he is taking 1st team snaps? That is very concerning."

I do…and yes, it is EXTREMELY concerning.

As far as the OU game - this is going to be a very tough game for us to be competitive in.  Not even sure the outcome will be indicative of the season we will have.  We could lose this game by 35 and still have a great year.  Not in any way saying I'd be happy with that.  However, a game like that could easily get away from us.  We turn the ball over…they will capitalize.  They are more talented at most positions.  

It will be a very tough game.  Keep your expectations in check.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I hate to say it but Driskell leaving the program after last year was damaging to the team. His presence would have forced the two "better" athletes to improve more and manage the game better. The new QB from SMU/Arkansas is filling that void now and if he beats them out and starts and plays similar to Driskell, fine. Or, he may force the two "high talent" QB's to become better QB's and then we get the best of both world's . Spectacular QB's who also manage games well by calling the correct plays AND limiting turnovers AND making many great plays.

I think we struggle but GROW through a 2-2 non-conference record and then again go 7-1 or even 8-0 in CUSA like last year!

Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: