Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU in the news - articles

Kind of awesome being in the news these days.

Figured I'd start a thread to post a collection of articles as we see them?

Roadmap to Devin Singletary winning the Heisman
FAU Football: Roadmap how Devin Singletary wins 2018 Heisman Trophy
Back to the top

After reading this article Singletary would need to have one of the best seasons ever for a running back just to be considered in the Heisman talk at all.  But the article is accurate on what he would need to get that consideration.  I think last year he would’ve had at least 3-4 more tds had Driskel not scored 4 tds against ODU.  Gaudy Numbers in a small conference is one thing, you need to run the table and dominate your competition.  One of my favorite college QB’s was Colt Brennan.   What he did was amazing in 2007 and he carried that Hawaii team on his back throughout his college career.   Just imagine if he had a Power 5 O-line or Power 5 offensive weapons the guy would have been talked about more.  He put up the numbers, Hawaii went undefeated and he just got an invite as a consolation prize.  It was tough to say he would win because Tebow was going to get the trophy regardless.  Tebow did do good that year but its essentially a popularity contest.  The OU game will dictate if he can get noticed and have his name in the race.  I think to be considered FAU would need to beat a ranked team, win the C-USA Title again, go on another long winning streak, blow out some opponents, Singletary would need to get close to 2,000 yards again, score 30 tds or more again and show dominance against the competition played. Doing kick-off duty is risky and I think the receiving  game may help but that’s more showcasing  his talents  for the next level.  For example If FAU beats Oklahoma and runs the table and somehow gets into a NY6 that would help tremendously because he can become the focal point of success or a face for the team.  I think realistically a good showing in the OU game would be rushing for over 100 yards and scoring 2 tds.  The focus is winning and it will be good for him if we did that with him performing well and staying healthy for a chance at the NFL.  I don’t believe in overworking a rb, their career lifespan is so limited.  Singletary has talent, and will have his chance to prove what else he can do on the field. Besides Heisman winners tend to wash out in the NFL anyways, at first it’s a blessing but a curse in disguise.
Back to the top

Oklahoma game makes/breaks his chances!
Back to the top

I agree with your kickoff assessment fanfan300.

Don't need the risk in one of the riskiest areas of football.

Not to mention with the new rule change to kickoffs we may see more touchbacks.
Back to the top

Back to the top

FAU79 said

Devin in the top 25

The top 25 offensive players in college football for 2018
Posted On: Aug 17th 2018, 3:32 PM #379463

Beating Jonathan Taylor is a pretty big deal.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Oklahoma game makes/breaks his chances!
Posted On: Aug 15th 2018, 11:48 AM #379423

Completely agree. He needs 100 yards plus and at least a couple of TDs. Anything less and he will have a lot of ground to make up in the Heisman race. Here is hoping for a big all-purpose day. If he can get a rushing total above 100 and add another 50-80 with catches and score 2-3 TDs, he will be the talk of week one. I guess he also needs to have some explosive runs. Grinding out the numbers won't bring as much attention.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: