Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football in the 2018 Polls

If you remember correctly it took Boise State 2-3 years of consistently winning high amounts of games to start getting preseason love. Unfortunately it sucks for programs on the rise until it happens.
Back to the top

I wonder how much of us being 33rd in the Coaches poll has to do with D1 coaches not liking Kiffin. Maybe they're jealous of Kiffin's celebrity, his USC money, his father being a successful coach, his bachelor lifestyle, the fact that he tweets and is always in the news. Members of the sports media love Kiffin and we've been voted in the top 25 I guess on a lot of ballots. Hopefully we'll crack the AP top 25 on August 20th. Besides, the AP poll is significantly more esteemed than the relatively recently established Coaches poll. If we could only crack one, my preference would be the AP by a mile.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I wonder how much of us being 33rd in the Coaches poll has to do with D1 coaches not liking Kiffin. Maybe they're jealous of Kiffin's celebrity, his USC money, his father being a successful coach, his bachelor lifestyle, the fact that he tweets and is always in the news. Members of the sports media love Kiffin and we've been voted in the top 25 I guess on a lot of ballots. Hopefully we'll crack the AP top 25 on August 20th. Besides, the AP poll is significantly more esteemed than the relatively recently established Coaches poll. If we could only crack one, my preference would be the AP by a mile.
Posted On: Aug 17th 2018, 10:40 AM #379457

I think if we won some non-conference games we'd be ranked higher. Beating a 7-6 Akron, and Bethune Cookman, aren't quality wins. To get serious preseason love next year, we need to bear Air Force and UCF. We might hate it, but past success always influences future projections.

Bama is always ranked 1 or 2, even when they've lost a ton of players, and it's because the almost always play for the natty.

Consistent winning, against quality programs, is what gets you preseason recognition.
Back to the top

I think coaches actually know who is good…i see some value in the AP poll,  they know how to write, some are witty,  and they have a reasonably valued opinion…but they aren't coaches and don't know the game like coaches do, otherwise they would be on the field winning. I say the same for business professors…they live in protected glass houses and couldn't run a business, otherwise they would be out there doing so and killing it.

I believe there was some research done as to what poll was historically most accurate…can't recall where I saw it though…will have to look for it again.

That said, being in any poll is great for us  :cool:
Back to the top

I disagree. I think coaches are the most partial voters there are. They'll gang up on a coach they don't like and not vote for that coach's team. Coaches have relationships with each other and have known most contemporaries in one way or another. A bunch of coaches can also be prejudiced towards a coach they do like. Also, coaches don't watch other conferences play, much less P5 coaches being in tune with what's going on in the G5. At least AP Voters have time to watch every conference and team play during the year, they're not consumed with coaching 1 team and focusing on only really a few other conference foes. Of course there are some AP airhead voters, but it's a way better poll.
Back to the top

It would be a nice honor to be preseason ranked, but Pre-season polls do not matter. If we beat OK and aren't ranked FAU will be ranked week 2. If were preseason ranked and lose to OK we will not be ranked.

Back to the top

100% correct.
Back to the top

Well, the AP poll comes out at noon. Crossing my fingers hoping we make it. Every ones ballot I've seen except 1 has us in it. 
Back to the top

Going to be very close. Could be a monumental day for the program. pre-season or not.
Back to the top

Too late for this to help but still very nice!

25 college football players I'd pay to see

Nice for Motor, not get your 100+ vs. Oklahoma, c'mon O line, attack 'em!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: