Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thoughts on running the table?

I was looking at the USA today app and it showed a prediction of bowls for the end of the season.  The article predicts Fau would be playing Toledo in the Bahamas bowl.  I was curious and found a re-rank of all college teams after the first game and FAU is ranked #42.  I figured after the body bag game in Oklahoma we would be dropped as far down as mid 70’s or 80’s.  I think this may be a good sign.  if we take care of business  and dominate AF  it can be a start of another streak especially maintaining the other streaks we still have like our home winning streak and conference winning streak.   The key to getting closer to the convo of the top 25 is to beat UCF.  If they continue to win and have the longest winning streak in the nation it sets up a perfect upset win on a Friday night, the letdown effect and also FAU being overlooked.  We would essentially end their streak, and also we would have beaten a #18 ranked school at that time for example.   We would have our first win against a ranked opponent.  If we take care of business and continue to score big and win then there is still a chance to get ranked. What are your thoughts?
Back to the top

I am hesitant to make any bold predictions after the lopsided loss to Oklahoma. I don't think anyone expected a win against Oklahoma, but I think we all expected a competitive game. It was not. It looked like what FAU accomplished against ranked teams in the seasons of 3 wins (losses to Alabama 41-0, Nebraska 55-7, Miami 38-10). In fact, even in those lean years, losses were not so one-sided. Given the week one performance, I find it difficult at this time to envision winning against UCF. My hope is to build up some momentum and bounce back to dominate conference play.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Too early to know anything. Our performance vs Oklahoma really quieted a lot of people that would have helped push us in that direction. We'd need to win moving forward and beat UCF to get people's attention again.

Lose to Oklahoma, Air Force and UCF - which very well may happen - and people aren't going to be that impressed even if we win each CUSA game by three touchdowns. It's still going to be, "Yeah but look at what happened at the beginning of the season…". They did the same thing last year. Nobody forgot the Buffalo game, to say nothing of Navy or Wisconsin.

At this point, let's just get a win this Saturday and go from there.
Back to the top

Yup, entire season in one game at a time!
Back to the top

You guys are right on the money.  Back when App. State beat Michigan that game haunted UM all season.  To steal a quote from Superbad "People don't forget".   Even if we do end up getting our stuff together and steam roll the conference it is still just CUSA, and the conversation will always return to "but man they got waxed by Oklahoma".

As a fan though, I really hope we do as back to back conf. champions has a really nice ring to it!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

You guys are right on the money.  Back when App. State beat Michigan that game haunted UM all season.  To steal a quote from Superbad "People don't forget".   Even if we do end up getting our stuff together and steam roll the conference it is still just CUSA, and the conversation will always return to "but man they got waxed by Oklahoma".

As a fan though, I really hope we do as back to back conf. champions has a really nice ring to it!
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 9:17 AM #380311

Keeping things in perspective as a fan is tough to do.  We had a lot of hype and our fans want to think we are a top 10 team.  We're not.

Here is some perspective for all FAU fans however - 18 months ago Middle Tennessee could have scored 90 points against us with a WR playing QB.

Take it game by game and dont assume we are going to win anything.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

duder said

Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 9:17 AM #380311

Keeping things in perspective as a fan is tough to do.  We had a lot of hype and our fans want to think we are a top 10 team.  We're not.

Here is some perspective for all FAU fans however - 18 months ago Middle Tennessee could have scored 90 points against us with a WR playing QB.

Take it game by game and dont assume we are going to win anything.
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 9:22 AM #380312

Also keeping it in perspective, in 2015 we took a #8 UF team to overtime in a season where we won 3 games. There is lots of football ahead of us. One game at a time.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Also keeping it in perspective, in 2015 we took a #8 UF team to overtime in a season where we won 3 games. There is lots of football ahead of us. One game at a time.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 9:31 AM #380313

Still kicking myself for not going up to that game!  I had tickets in hand and was working up in tarpon springs but decided I didn't want to drive up to Gainesville for half a game in the rain.   :Rainning:

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: