Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations Part 2

owlsdad said

The "blessing" for next year's team (or any team in CUSA) is that unless those guys just have a MONSTER year or have CRAZY "measurables" (size, speed, pro-day times, bench press reps, etc.), they typically aren't going to get top-of-the-draft attention.  If Motor comes up with another 1900+ yard season, 30+ TDs, etc. then maybe - we all know how good he is, but I don't think his physical stats/times put him on that kind of radar.  With the start the running game is off to, and with the emergence we all now probably expect with the passing game, I think Motor's draft stock lowers and ***probably*** moves him into a spot that he would want to come back and light it up as a Senior.  Obviously I don't know his situation, but most guys make a decision to leave early based on where they are going to land on that rookie salary scale - and that is mostly a big consideration for 1st and at latest 2nd rounders.

I hope I am wrong on that, and that he lights it up the rest of this year and gets similar stats because he didn't all of the sudden become a worse running back.  He has been impressive in my eyes on how hard he has worked to get anything the first 2 weeks.  Honestly, I hope I am even more wrong on it and that he lights it up and still decides to stay!
Posted On: Sep 13th 2018, 2:15 PM #380673

Cross his statistics with last year and you will see that Motor has actually had a better start this year than 2017.

Here is a list of RBs selected in 2018: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb.

Motor has displayed the vision and "Motor" it takes to be an NFL running back. RBs from G5 have experienced some measure of success in the draft, see Rashaad Penny, Ito Smith, etc.

A catastrophic injury in his senior year will cost Motor far more than it can earn him. What more does he have to prove at this level? His highlight tape is unreal and he has been doing it since he was a freshman.

With that said, I do not know him personally and know nothing of his intentions nor desires.

I am, however, so grateful he flipped to us.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

The U had a QB and a DL leave early for the draft in the past couple of years. Neither made a team. IF you leave early , you better have an honest  agent that has tested the waters. Personally, unless you are a top 10 pick, I would stay.
Back to the top

No doubt I think he is awesome - but from the list all but 1 of the guys in the first 3 rounds was from a P5 school.  The one who wasn't was Senior Rashaad Penny from SDSU.  It is a total no-brainer if you can go pro where Penny did (1st round/27th pick - 4-year $10.7M deal with a $5.9M signing bonus).  But Penny was 1st-team All-American and led the country in rushing last year.

Ito Smith from USM is the next non-P5 guy to get drafted, and he went in the 4th round (126th pick).  Of the 20 total RBs taken in the 7 rounds, only 3 came from non-P5 schools.  I don't know what kind of salary/signing bonus you get in the 3rd or 4th round, so I am saying when you are as good as Motor he'll have to get guidance on what to do if he is projected as a 3rd rounder versus the projections that he could be a 2nd or 1st rounder with another year.  I agree you have to make the best financial decision you can - going to college is an attempt to better yourself and prepare for a career no matter what the profession, so I don't blame any player who has a chance to realize their dream to take it.

And good call on last year - through 3 games Motor had 34 carries, 203 yards, and 2 TDs.  I am hopeful after Saturday he will top all 3 of those categories through 3 games this season (sits at 34 carries, 126 yards, 2 TDs and a 75-yarder called back that would already have him ahead of last year).

Back to the top

owlsdad said

The "blessing" for next year's team (or any team in CUSA) is that unless those guys just have a MONSTER year or have CRAZY "measurables" (size, speed, pro-day times, bench press reps, etc.), they typically aren't going to get top-of-the-draft attention.  If Motor comes up with another 1900+ yard season, 30+ TDs, etc. then maybe - we all know how good he is, but I don't think his physical stats/times put him on that kind of radar.  With the start the running game is off to, and with the emergence we all now probably expect with the passing game, I think Motor's draft stock lowers and ***probably*** moves him into a spot that he would want to come back and light it up as a Senior.  Obviously I don't know his situation, but most guys make a decision to leave early based on where they are going to land on that rookie salary scale - and that is mostly a big consideration for 1st and at latest 2nd rounders.

I hope I am wrong on that, and that he lights it up the rest of this year and gets similar stats because he didn't all of the sudden become a worse running back.  He has been impressive in my eyes on how hard he has worked to get anything the first 2 weeks.  Honestly, I hope I am even more wrong on it and that he lights it up and still decides to stay!
Posted On: Sep 13th 2018, 2:15 PM #380673

It's just hard to duplicate the type of year he had last year in any year, especially when we are actually trying to establish a dynamic passing game. Doesn't mean he doesn't get drafted or drops too much, but I would expect somewhat of a drop if he doesn't light up C USA. His measurables won't be standout 1st or 2nd round caliber without prolific stats.
Back to the top

NJOWL said

If Motor leaves, the backups are more than capcable, i.e. Whyte, McGriff, Tisdale (who I am VERY high on), and Davidson.
I'm actually a bit concerned here. I like Whyte, I'm just not sure he's an every play all-purpose back. I know he bulked up and there really isn't much to go by so far this year. McGriff just converted into a RB and hasn't seen any run yet – he's a player the staff is trying to find a position for, so not a sure bet IMO. Tisdale clearly has the talent and measurables, but he's had injuries so hard to say if he pans out yet. Davidson was a great recruit so I'm hoping he can develop. Remember also, we thought we would have Emmons to back up Motor this year – but that turned out to be another JUCO disappointment.
Back to the top

JMHO..Motor will be here till the end. He is real good. But not high round NFL good. Sorry Motor.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

JMHO..Motor will be here till the end. He is real good. But not high round NFL good. Sorry Motor.
Posted On: Sep 13th 2018, 5:24 PM #380679

I mean he is being rated as a top 5 RB by many of the "draft experts." and if he cant raise his stock his senior year why not leave after junior start getting paid, and make money for actually getting hit. RB's shelf life in the NFL is shortening more and more
Back to the top

There has been a shift to valuing RBs more in the NFL - for several years people were passing on the position until later in the draft.  Last year, the 5th RB taken was the 6th pick of the 2nd round.  Three or four years ago, that would have been a much lower spot.  So it will be a very tough call if he is inside the top-5 at his position.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Sep 13th 2018, 5:24 PM #380679

Your draft status doesn't really matter. If he finishes with another 25 TD's 1700 yards this and is projected 3rd to 5th round pick he should leave because coming back for another year to do the same thing will not hurt or help his draft status. Scouts know what he is at that point and will have nothing else to prove.

Guys who are in that situation should go because the goal in the NFL now is get to that 2nd contract as fast and young as possible.  In football you body is a clock and you should spend as much time of that getting paid as possible.
Back to the top

If my body was a clock, the owner would throw it away and buy a new one.
Back to the top
Control functions: