Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations Part 4 - UCF

d-owl, this guy isn't always behind the keyboard - he was in the nose bleed section of the stands on Friday night light like most other FAU fans.  (Glad you made it by way - we are all part of a very small local fan base and our devotion to FAU is gonna have us crossing paths at some time).

But in all seriousness owlcountry 40, being that we're back on the topic of Briles, you're the only person I've read or heard saying he lost play calling responsibilities last year.

Now it's totally possible I missed an article, posting, or tweet where this was mentioned, but for the sake of research as you brought up, where can I review this information for myself?

If you have a private source, I can respect that.  But then you are asking me to trust you, which makes it hard to research and allows me to continue having an opinion.  (And seriously - I'm not trolling you.  This is a legit question).

LASTLY - please remember everyone this is a public forum and anyone from anywhere with any device can see this at anytime (welcome Mr. Recent Member - Go Owls!).
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

d-owl, this guy isn't always behind the keyboard - he was in the nose bleed section of the stands on Friday night light like most other FAU fans.  (Glad you made it by way - we are all part of a very small local fan base and our devotion to FAU is gonna have us crossing paths at some time).

But in all seriousness owlcountry 40, being that we're back on the topic of Briles, you're the only person I've read or heard saying he lost play calling responsibilities last year.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2018, 8:32 PM #381308
No disrespect to homeboy Owlcountry, but he needs to check himself when he comes at people that might simply disagree with him with keyboard warrior comments. Being a "fan" doesn't make him or anyone else here a football guru. I was around the program before it even began, so I can give my two cents and people can agree with it or not, but there should always be respect. I've been following the program from NY, flying down to games when I have time etc. I am not into attacking any other Owl fan and respect everyone – so I'll just leave it at that and hope Chris proves me wrong and destroys MTSU next week! lol
Back to the top

bmarkey said

Robison's arm has been too strong or he underthrows into an INT, from what I have seen. With two other talented QBs ready, why not give them a real shot?
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2018, 8:26 PM #381307

Exactly.
Back to the top

A year ago today we were 1-3 and saying the same things… and now we are 2-2. This year we have played much tougher opponents by far which I believe has made coaching and players both better prepared for conference play. Our weaknesses were exposed by much better teams and I believe that the coaching staff will make adjustments like they did last year. I say give Lane some benefit of the doubt and trust his decision making for conference play. I believe we will be much better than 7-5 and we will have a successful season and another bowl game.

I did travel to the UCF game and I was very satisfied with the FAU turnout. Cheers to the UCF fans who threw popcorn at my girlfriend and I everytime we celebrated a good play or a touchdown. I thought I wouldn't find low class people in our good seats.

It is important for us to stay positive really support this team after two tough losses to good opponents so far this season. I am very excited for saturday against MT!!

lets go owls!!!
Back to the top

The Buffalo game thread is HERE and after reading though the last half of it, the main takeaway is that we were all wrong about Driskel, the defense, and our season during and immediately after the Buffalo game.

When Driskel was playing poorly, we wanted Parr. Sure, there's a parallel there.
Our defense wasn't playing well. There's a parallel there too.

We expected Kiffin to come in and instantly right our team - and he actually did right our team, it just took time.

The difference is our expectation, obviously. Last year we just wanted to see progress and hopefully a 6 win season. This year we want to beat Top 25 teams.

People are saying we'll be fine in conference play. This weekend we have a chance to prove that. We've had four games to develop.
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

A year ago today we were 1-3 and saying the same things…
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2018, 9:43 PM #381311

SAD how this Country has become so low class! I am glad the turnout was so good for FAU and that the team DID represent well, UCF IS a very good team and should be ranked higher, but that Power 5 monopoly keeps 'em down. Just like when Boise St. and TCU threatened "their" party!
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

The Buffalo game thread is HERE and after reading though the last half of it, the main takeaway is that we were all wrong about Driskel, the defense, and our season during and immediately after the Buffalo game..
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2018, 9:46 PM #381312

Very good post! Sad I could not be there in Orlando with y'all! Got "forced" into early retirement (no pension plan offered!) a few months back (pay someone younger much less with no experience, the usual today!) and looks like this is gonna be first year NOT getting down to Boca for a home game as money much tighter now due to this. Still gonna root no matter how we do and I do think Coach K will impart HIS WILL on the team!
Back to the top

While I'm definitely not thrilled with our performance so far, as doc pointed out we were in the exact same position last year calling for driskel's head.  I will fully admit that I was a driskel hater, but he stepped up, the team got their heads together and look what they accomplished.  So far I'm not a fan of Robison's but I am willing to give him one more game in conference play to see how he adapts.

If I remember one of our previous bowl teams (can't remember the year) we ran through the entire season with a high powered offense and almost no defense.  We won games by out scoring our opponents and having time of possession.  Not saying that strategy will win us any natl. championships but it is doable in our conference.  Although maybe not this year after looking at saturday's scores.

As many of us are, I'm more concerned with our defense than our offense.  I still believe we could have beaten UCF had our defense been able to stop anything at all.  Milton controlled that game and it was like our D was just standing still.  

A final note, congrats to ODU on their win.  I am happy for them yet irritated at the same time as it seems that every other team can surprise a ranked opponent except us.  I realize that is probably not factual but it sure seems like it.  

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Did I miss observations Part 3??

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

duder said

While I'm definitely not thrilled …  
Posted On: Sep 24th 2018, 9:04 AM #381317
Ken tweeted out how important to schedule those types of games at home. Going to UCF (Which they had an elctric atmosphere Friday defiantly big ) on a short week and trvaeling to Norman are not the how teams get those big upsets.

Va Tech slept walked into that game and once it became a game ODU was playing on pure emotion.

You think us being at home on Friday could have lead to 1-2 extra third down stops maybe another 3rd and 4th and short conversation? Flip a couple of those things and we are in that game late.

Back to the top
Control functions: