Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations Part 6-ODU

The game against ODU was a well needed win by our team and the bye week will help us get re focused.Everything clicked together to some degree with Robison having a great game, Bryant getting more touches, Whyte igniting the special teams and Singetary’s record performance.  The calls in this game were terrible and it almost seems like the CUSA is trying to derail us on calls alone. Such as the targeting hit called on Azeez, I mean that could’ve been called either way but he got thrown out the game.  I think that made the defense put more of a stand with Shelton Lewis, others like Rashad Smith and Jalen Young stepped up to the plate and produced.  Robison looked relaxed and with Bryant, Durante and Willie Wright we should be able to move the ball through the air, tbh Bryant is a beast and he should be utilized more to open up the passing game.  Singletary finally broke out of his slump and he is creeping up in the record books all time, if he keeps up statistically he could be top 5 in rushing touchdowns by the end of this year.  His numbers are almost similar to last year through 6 games; he’s just a few yards off and 2 more touchdowns ahead of last year.  We need De’andre in the game somehow; his speed and athleticism could help on offense kind of like John Franklin did for us last year.  I think our home games are pretty much wins if we change our mindset and play aggressive and score more.  Our defense may give up the occasional 27-33 points but we need to score 46-52 points to secure wins..  La tech is beatable, WKU is just not the same and Charlotte is one of the worst teams in FBS even though they are trying to get better.   We need a road win and if we beat Marshall it sets the tone to go on a run, if we lose against Marshall we are setup for a 7-5 record for sure.  North Texas has us penciled in and MTSU has such an easy schedule its sad they might not get challenged at all.   I think also UAb has a chance to beat MTSU. Its weird we have almost the same schedule from last year just switched home and away which is not feasible.  Say we had a Rice or UTEP those are for sure wins.  I would hope we go to the Bahamas Bowl or even something out of the way like the New Mexico Bowl and try to beat another MW team.  Its about getting our brand out there and making FAU known throughout the country as a household name with talent.  Motor is doing amazing things on the field and he should be talked about more nationally.
Back to the top

Not to start a star wars battle for the 1,000th time, but Bryant was a two star recruit with basically very limited interest…we scored there big time.

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

Not to start a star wars battle for the 1,000th time, but Bryant was a two star recruit with basically very limited interest…we scored there big time.

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Oct 17th 2018, 3:45 PM #382016

From a small school in middle Georgia, clearly overlooked! We are very lucky yo have him!
Back to the top

I can't say enough about my appreciation for Bryant.

Dude is a seriously semi secret weapon.

I always look to see where he's lined up - he can flat out do it all.

Would like to see him be fully utilized each game.
Back to the top

5 to 6 catches a game for sure! Especially if we run wideouts Durante and another deep then lots of room underneath for Bryant and Wright to eat 'em up! Personally to me, F the "bubble" screen stuff all the time. Challenge 'em deep, clear 'em out and that will ALSO give lots more running space for running game!
Back to the top

Like a lot of schools, we also throw too much into a crowded flat.  Everybody tries the "stacked" WRs and throwing the quick strike out to the back guy, and every week I see it work like once and gain nothing or lose yards a couple of times.  I'd much prefer some crossing patterns or drag routes  (by Bryant or Willie) or the little circle route out of the backfield when we send a couple of guys deep.  Not the "bubble" but the circle  where the back gets 5 yards downfield  and we throw it like when things clear.

It is very tough on a D to defend and then have to tackle guys like Motor, Whyte, Wright, or Bryant - especially if it means a LB ends up being the guy having to cover the underneath stuff.  So not just dunk and dink, but trying to get your playmakers the ball against a favorable matchup with some space to operate.

And is this the game we will see some "trickeration" like last year?
Back to the top
Control functions: