Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Marshall Game Thread - Oct 20th, 2018

Add topic

Rick said

I think the main thing Kiffin is responsible for this year is the replacement hires he made…

Meanwhile, Houston (Coach Briles) is 4th in all of the NCAA with 552 yards per game…

On a side note:

The Cougars were 41st at the end of last season and have a +120 yard increase this year - all due to Briles' system it would appear.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:37 PM #382272
I agree with this to a large degree.  I think Kiffin knocked it out of the park with his hires last season.  A DC and OC with P5 experience meant we were performing at a higher level than everyone else in Conference USA (disclaimer - I have not researched all coordinators in C-USA).

This year the DC is from within C-USA and it's the OC's first year in that position.  Not a knock on either person, there's just some growth periods that come with that.

If we are fine with making that investment, great.  If we are looking to pick up where we left off last year, not so great.

Edit: and before I get blasted, at some point there's got to be an objective, analytical review of where we are vs where we were.  Seven games seems to be a fair point.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

DeltAlumnus said

Yeah stupid excuse it’s the the same position.

What if year 1 was year 2 and then reverse?  We would be ecstatic 
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 10:06 PM #382284

If it were reversed it would probably be a little more of the norm and understandable.  A lot of people expected less from last year and yes, we were all ecstatic when we had the season we had.

But it's not reversed, so it's kind of a moot point.  You would think there'd be a slight set back but not a complete overhaul.

He's in the same position yes, but he lost a few coaches (OC, DC, o line to name a few) and that's cause for some of the growing pains we're seeing.

And those weren't my excuses, just things you normally hear in the ether.

(I'd also add we might be getting really sensitive to the warning signs of coaching).

Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 10:17 PM #382289

And wasn’t Rusty Smith pretty terrible as a Freshman also? Robison made a couple big time throws today but pressed way too much as most Freshmen do. I think he has shown to be better than the other two qbs and as he grows older and becomes more consistent, he will go down as one of the greatest qbs in program history imo
Back to the top

LawOwl said

And wasn’t Rusty Smith pretty terrible as a Freshman also?
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 10:46 PM #382292

Back to the top

Rick said

I think the main thing Kiffin is responsible for this year is the replacement hires he made…the players didn't make plays today - plain and simple…in addition to what I already posted, how many drops did we have (at least five)? It was like this game was not going to go our way even if we had NFL players lined up.

That said, overall (all games included) there has been a drop-off that could have been avoided IMHO, but only with better hires…

We're terrible in special teams aside from some good returns, we are not playing well on the offensive line given the talent we have there, and we can't execute offense quickly with consistency.

This is what gave us such an ADVANTAGE in games all of last year…we're having to call timeout because our QB can't figure out the correct play. Driskel was so good at that last year…and Kiffin even commented on it multiple times saying it was like having another coach on the field. So yeah, that is coaching from a development standpoint…but then again, we're also seeing that Driskel was super smart.

Meanwhile, Houston (Coach Briles) is 4th in all of the NCAA with 552 yards per game and Driskel is probably re-thinking his decision to leave since he would have been put in more than once and likely would have won the job again.

On a side note:

The Cougars were 41st at the end of last season and have a +120 yard increase this year - all due to Briles' system it would appear.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:37 PM #382272

GREAT POST RICK! (Ya like those caps! :Laughing: ) 100% agree, Houston took good players and added a great OC and BOOM! Just like we did last year! And Briles went back to Texas basically. Though I do wonder if losing so many Coaches wea due to THEM doing the work and Coach K getting the all the credit and raise and long term contract.  Heck, even his broither left!

Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Lane hired the OC and most of the other coaches. My confidence with Lane is shaky at this point. He had a bunch of good coaches last year, the question is were they really the reason for the success we had last year and he was just the figurehead taking the credit?
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:26 PM #382250
Ahhh, you said that out loud.

Did you mean to use your outdoor voice?
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:31 PM #382252
Sorry, was I not supposed to say that out loud? I am confused as to how to respond to this post.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:35 PM #382253
Ha! Sorry, I wasn't picking at you.

We as fans have been very accepting of Kiffin and haven't really voiced much criticism.

I was just confirming you were - I was confused by your post. ;)
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:40 PM #382255
Let it be hereafter and for evermore known that I am voicing criticism of Kiffin. He is responsible for this team and the team is failing. He needs to answer for that. I doubt we are bowling this season based on what I have seen.

My question about the coaching staff this year versus last year stands as well.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:46 PM #382256

every coach gets a few years to get their recruits in, settle into their style, etc….

Lane has had one recruiting class, and an 11-3 season under his belt….I'll give him the benefit of some time to get it going….
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:12 PM #382269

I would normally agree with this generally – however, coming off last year with many of the same players returning, there absolutely should not be this type of drop off imo.  
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:16 PM #382270

he has a new OC, new QB, a new #1 receiver, a bunch of new O linemen…..I hear you, but I don't see it the same way….
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 9:00 PM #382274

And don't forget new PK, new punter, also relying on unproven at the college level players at very important spots! Oh, and the NEW "special needs" coach too! I think maybe Coach K saw another blocked punt for a TD in his mind when he went for it on the 12! That and he said we were kicking into the wind so he EXPECTED a 30 yard punt anyhow! SAD!!!!!!!

Back to the top

No questions we have OL issues, but to pin all the ineptness on offensive on one guy is being a bit short sighted.  Anyone player will not fix the problems ... 

IMHO, the coaches know the problems, sometimes there are no easy fixes, and you do the best with what you got.  You have to trust the coaches have the right personnel on the field ...

Discipline continues to be an issue, just look at the first three drives ... I would have said that ,and that goes for pretty much all Owl fans, and Coaches to have expected a better overall performance coming out of a buy-week.  

The lack of consistency on offense from week-to-week, probably hand-cuts what the coaches may what to implement .... 

Defensively, I was encouraged how the defense played yesterday ... they played aggressive and were disruptive , it will lead to giving up big plays now and then ... they did more then enough to give the offense a chance to win this game ... I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 4 drive by Marshall in Owl territory ( 1st quarter) and held them to 7 points ... This games could have easily got away from us early .... the defense kept us in it.

During the game I was surprised that LN hadn't made a QB change earlier then he did to get a spark, and then it became obvious why he didn't, Robinson is the man the Owls will ride, ....he seems to play better at home. 

Leaders will have to surfaces and will ... 

Back to the top

One thing I've noticed, and o may have to eat crow here, is that it's the O-Line as a whole and not one individual lineman, that is performing below average. Heck, the pass protection was shoddy too yesterday. 
What I always thought was Weis Sr.'s undoing was that he was a pro mind that didn't understand how to call plays in college. A huge problem is these runs up the middle you can tell when Robison gets the snap he's handing it off to Motor up the middle. Why not have those be an option, or just eliminate them entirely. And maybe it's time to get more OL, not just Weber, some possessions.
Back to the top

We let Coach Justice go. Lane had every chance to get him back once his job in Arizona fell apart. Guys, this is a coaching issue. Period. We lost great coaches and replaced them with average coaches. Sorry.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

We let Coach Justice go. Lane had every chance to get him back once his job in Arizona fell apart. Guys, this is a coaching issue. Period. We lost great coaches and replaced them with [below] average coaches. Sorry.
Posted On: Oct 21st 2018, 9:30 AM #382303

fixed lol
Back to the top

The scheme itself is completely different…we ran almost exclusively RPO last season…now we do some pro, some hurry-up, some spread, some RPO…it's just a big mess. Too complicated, and needs to be dummied down…that was the great thing about Brile's system…there was no playbook! It wasn't that it was a "simple" offense but the counters within the system were more simple to understand..if you see this, then you do that…not, if you see this, then you have to get out a calculator or stop and think well, "what do i do next".

Would also seem that  we can get more yards out of the QB option than we did with Driskel…Robison is noticeably faster…

As far as the offensive line, it is apparent that we lost perhaps our best coach - ever - in a move to appease someone who should not have had any say in the matter at all.
Back to the top
Control functions: