Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Motor and the NFL

Contrast that with what we see this season.  It very well may be mostly the same plays, but we routinely snap the ball with only about 5 seconds on the play clock - and we spend at least 15 of those seconds or more with multiple guys looking at the sideline after we have rushed to get into a formation.

Somebody else mentioned simplifying the offense (and calls), and I totally agree.  So no doubt Motor benefited greatly with a line who could get a push and a pace that just broke a defense's back by late in the 3rd quarter.  Right now we aren't seeing either of those things.
Back to the top

IMO the biggest drop from last season is up front.  I feel center improved. But as a whole, major drop off.  
Back to the top

Just go look at Baylor, FAU and now Houston rushing stats Under Briles.

This isn’t a coincidence.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

walty12 said

Motor is good, no doubt.  His stats and our record were skewed last year because of Briles offense.

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2018, 1:39 PM #382343

It's becoming apparent there were a lot of factors that all came together to make that offense click.

The coaches, the seniors on the oline, etc.

And I think one major component of these overall contributing factors was the ability to move quickly between plays.  The players got the ball to a referee, ran to the line of scrimmage, they seemed to get the next play quickly, oline seemed to know the proper protection, and Driskel made quick reads of the defense.

I believe I heard on a telecast that on average we were snapping the ball with 22 seconds left on the clock.

That in turn kept the defense on their heels and played into Motor's strengths.  

Not taking anything away from his amazing talent by any means - all these things coming together just helped stack the deck in his favor even more.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2018, 9:59 PM #382347

You’re referring to execution.  These are the results of how you practice and prepare.  It’s really that simple.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

You’re referring to execution.  These are the results of how you practice and prepare.  It’s really that simple.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2018, 7:38 AM #382355

Agree with you 100%.

You play the way you practice, and the coach needs to be all in on this play fast concept, which gave us such an advantage last season.

It needs to reinforced constantly in practice, film review, and game planning so the players buy in and it becomes second nature.

I think that concept is Briles' baby so he drove it home. Saw it at Baylor and here last season. Haven't seen Houston play yet.

Back to the top

I think Motor should stay for his senior year and hope for a better 2019 season.

Another Heisman hopefull Will Grier was held to 100 passing yards 2 weeks ago. It happens.
Back to the top

There is only a guarantee of 5 more games - 6 if we get to a bowl.  Motor sits at 666 yards and 14 TDs right now.  He hasn't had any monster yardage games yet.

If he kept current pace, he would end the season with:

Season Totals 5 more games 6 more games
Attempts 252 273
Yards 1142 1237
TDs 24 26

Those are still good numbers (great when you look at TDs), and he already is the all-time yards and TD leader in school history.  The question of should he return to set more records to me is not really the right question - the real concern for him (not for us fans) is where will he be slotted at the end of this year and can he move up with a monster Senior season?  I tend to agree that scouts have enough film on him already, and unless he came back and did some kind of all-time crazy numbers, caught a ton of passes (that the offense wouldn't ask him to do), etc. it would be hard for him to dramatically increase his stock.  And if he somehow found several of those 200-yard, 3 TD games in the last 5 or 6 games and pushes these numbers up past 1500 yards and 30 TDs, he'll be just as high after this season as he was at the end of last year.

A great (or bad) pro day will probably make a bigger difference than his Senior season UNLESS he came back and totally sucked (or got hurt - see our current Senior LB).  And I think we all would agree Motor wouldn't suck at FAU.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

I think Motor should stay for his senior year and hope for a better 2019 season.

Another Heisman hopefull Will Grier was held to 100 passing yards 2 weeks ago. It happens.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2018, 9:23 AM #382360
Motor should collect checks.
Back to the top

I actually traded a few messages with a guy on a national message board that focuses on FCS football.  The guy runs a service and works directly with a few NFL teams, and provides weekly updates on FCS-level players that are on national "watch" lists.  FWIW - when I asked him privately specifically about Motor here was his reply:

"He needs to stay in school. Most have him as a day 3 guy who could climb next year. Always best to come out when hot and right now he is not a hot prospect. He has been solid but definitely not the dominant year he had in 2017."

And of course the guy also says he hopes Motor/Kiffin are asking the NFL Advisory Board and all of Monte's contacts for feedback and not listening to a bunch of old farts on a message board :Laughing:
Back to the top

After what happened to Azeez, I wouldn’t blame him for leaving.  He’s been fortunate to avoid injuries thus far, but who knows how long that will last.  He’s not going to improve as a player much between this year and next. 
Back to the top
Control functions: