Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach Lane Kiffin 2018 FIU Presser Notes

The Owls will look to keep the Shula Trophy in Boca Raton this weekend against arch rival Florida International. FAU Coach Lane Kiffin met with the media on Sunday for his weekly presser. Below are the highlights from that session.

Read more

Kiffin talked about the WR's not producing in the press conference. If you're at the games you can see that we NEED Kyle Davis last month. He's 6'2" and God knows how much we could use his size now after being spoiled with Woods and Solomon, which Kiffin also touched on. We have Willie running intermediate to deep routes on the regular, which should be a big guy running those routes, and as far as the 3rd receiver that's supposed to be Willie and you can't blame Harrison and others Bc we should have better depth and they're doing what we can. 
I'd rather have Weis Jr. Than Briles next season if Durante, Davis, Willie, and Bryant stay healthy. It's a higher upside offense than Briles against tough competition. Briles offense ain't beating legit teams without a rea passing threat. 
Back to the top

Honestly, the primary plays and overall scheme seem very similar.  I think it was a little more RPO last year that Driskel did wonders with the read, and less overall passing.  The passes seemed to be very schemed last season or were homerun balls, and this season seem to be more set calls.  But it is a bunch of jet sweeps/toss sweeps, a lot of very similar run plays, etc.  A number of the deep balls that were to our BIG receivers last year just simply haven't been there outside of the AF game - mainly as others observed because we don't have those big, deep-threat WRs this year.

What is definitely missing is the pace.  From a pace standpoint, this looks much more like the spread that Kiffin ran at Alabama - they wanted to go a "little" fast, but not break-neck.  We have also been pretty stale with our "trickeration" plays, and we rely WAY too much on expecting to hit Bryant in the flat almost every big down we have where it is expected to be a short to intermediate pass.  If I pretty much know it is coming, surely a DC for the opposing team who is getting paid to coach football does, too.

If anything, we either have it a little too complicated or the QB isn't comfortable based on how much time we spend standing at the line of scrimmage with basically the ENTIRE offense looking at the sidelines.  And of course an o-line that pushed people backwards last season helped a lot!!!
Back to the top

And reading through Kiffin's comments, I don't understand what he said about Motor running the ball.  Sounds like he is saying because he was running it so well we planned to ride him the second half.  Instead I think he had 10 carries in the first half and 9 in the second???
Back to the top

FIU postgame presser

Where is the postgame presser footage for the FIU game? 
Back to the top
Control functions: