Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

WKU @ FAU Homecoming Game Thread - November 10, 2018

Add topic

Important!
Posts from this topic have been moved by Rick. 2 posts have been transferred to FAU Football 2018 Bowl Projections.
Important!

Local Owl said

You gotta appreciate a fan like D-Owl, that can have a gut feeling, but has the ability to see things another way. Early on, I was a fan of Robison. I knew there would be growing pains. After FIU, I was thinking we need to play Johnson if we wanted to go Bowling. Now, like D-Owl, I'm thinking Chris. I wish I could put D'Andre's legs on Chris. Bottom line, Lane and company needs to see which one has the hot hand and play them. I'm glad I'm a fan and not a coach.
Posted On: Nov 11th 2018, 8:05 AM #383170

College QBs can be a fickle/fragile bunch (I was a college QB 30+ pounds and 25+ years ago).  The thing that probably hampers DJ is the idea that he tries to do too much in an attempt to impress, and then he can compound a mistake because he is scared to make another one while appearing to have a fairly short leash.  The QB spot is the one position on the field where guys need to get a feel for the game and a rhythm going to be really effective.

That being said, Robison is clearly the future and is a better passer.  But the post about our running game wearing people down is spot on.  I don't care who the QB is as long as they take care of the ball and we end up gashing people later in the game with Motor and Whyte (sounds a lot like 2017!!!).
Back to the top

I was wrong when I criticized Ettiene. The STA grad is dynamite. Obviously it was Riles holding everyone back with his putrid "quickness" and "agility". He hasn't played the 2nd half at all the past 2 games and barely plays the first half. Meanwhile, Weber was freaking mauling people. Anyways, for DJ to succeed they have to change the playbook to something like what the academies and GT employ. Robison had a brilliant game and had a lot to do with the win.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The thing that probably hampers DJ is the idea that he tries to do too much in an attempt to impress, and then he can compound a mistake because he is scared to make another one while appearing to have a fairly short leash.

Posted On: Nov 11th 2018, 8:45 AM #383174

Like quicksand…

It's gotta be 100x bigger for a guy like DJ with all of Twitter and Netflix watching. I feel for the guy in that regard.
Back to the top

True. DJ knows that when he enters the game, he must perform and succeed. He needs to do it quick. He needs to do it now. That is a lot to ask. Not only does he need time to get into a groove, but the play calling needs time. Very tough situation for him. DJ is an amazingly talented kid. we are lucky to have him . If he were forced into being our every play QB, I don't think our O would miss a beat. IMHO , Lane is looking to get Chris as much experience as possible. The season isn't going as planned. But we will go Bowling.
Back to the top

We're running the same (overrated) plays with DJ in there. We should be switching it up with reverses and true RPO's. There needs to be quick decisions made on when to give it to the RB or keep it. This falls on Weis Jr. Briles would've had a lot more plays to get DJ using his legs and using Bryant as a safety net. But all of that's nonsense if DJ has the unfortunate luck of having Riles in for both his series. I knew he was atrocious, but wow, does the offense look 10 times better without him. Riles, with his substandard "quickness" and "agility', should drive a Chevy, because he's like a rock!
Back to the top

I'd love to see us run a true RPO with De'Andre. Spread the field out, and have the linebackers constantly guess which direction the ball is going.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

We had better be ready for MUCH better run D's the next two games, both teams (NT and Charlotte) excel at stopping the run but have shaky pass D's. WE will need balance if not they will jam the runs. May be time for some trick plays or run DJ in the "Franklin" mode! OR Both actually!!!!

WE gain yards but we still struggle to close with TD's. If ya have constant trouble converting 3rd downs - avoid them with better more ambitious play calls on 1st and 2nd downs. We have decent to good pass blocking, run the routes a bit deeper, stop so may short behind the "line of gain" (who else hates this new term!!!) passes hoping your guys gets blocks or make them miss! And go to the end zone MORE before ya get inside the red zone where D's are more congested and better!

Congrats on the win Owls, WKU made us tough it out. Now, on to N. Texas and win out!
Back to the top

Important!
Posts from this topic have been moved by Rick. 1 post have been transferred to Gator Offensive Lineman Antonio Riles to FAU??.
Important!

GeorgiaOwl said

How did you watch the game today?
Posted On: Nov 11th 2018, 7:50 PM #383222

I posted the game live and you can still watch it there…

LIVE VIDEO: WKU @ FAU November 10, 2018 - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top
Control functions: