Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU in Bahamas Showcase - Nov 16th to 18th, 2018

Add topic

Rick said

Rick said

2. Killer instinct - to beat UCF on the road was something, then to win two more like they have on the road in another country is impressive given their youth.
Posted On: Nov 18th 2018, 5:51 PM #383623

THIS is exactly what I was talking about, and perfectly said!

“It got late in the game and we weren’t scared to lose. I felt like in the exhibition game, we were a little bit afraid to lose, instead of going for the win. Today, even some of our mistakes, were aggressive mistakes going for the win, as opposed to just trying to hold on and not lose.” - FAU Head Coach Dusty May

Posted On: Nov 18th 2018, 8:42 PM #383625

What a complete difference of attitude from you know who.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Guys, we might be on to something here!!!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

What a complete difference of attitude from you know who.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2018, 7:56 AM #383627

No idea who you are talking about.

Back to the top

LawOwl said

Posted On: Nov 19th 2018, 8:48 AM #383628

Not to be a total Debbie Downer, but have you really looked at who we have beaten?  We held on to beat Incarnate Word, who lost by 50 (NOT a typo!!!) in the first game of the year.  We beat Florida Tech who is DII team in an exhibition (does that game actually count?).  We beat Towson who is a bad team (lost to North Dakota State by 25 in their next game after we beat them - and NDSU is far from a basketball blue-blood).

The 2 decent teams we played we are 1-1, and that win was a crazy come from behind where we were down by 20.  I am not saying winning these games isn't a whole lot better than losing them, and it is clear there is more of a system and a plan (which is ultimately going to lead to good things).  But I don't think I would book my Final Four reservations just yet.  Vast improvement, but I would guess May needs a year or two to get his system and the new players doing what he wants consistently.

Expect some ups-and-downs but that FAU is on to something long-term.  I need to see more against better competition to know where the Owls are right now.
Back to the top

Expect A LOT of ups and downs - this is a quickly thrown together roster. But good for them so far, hopefully they will get better over time and games played as the competition gets tougher as well. Congrats Men's BB Owls!
Back to the top

They are a VERY young team, who is MUCH MORE organized and well coached than was the last bunch, that is learning to play with one another and polish their chemistry together.

On a side note:

Our RPI is currently 196 and our SOS is 143. This is out of 353 teams.

Back to the top

owlsdad said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Nov 19th 2018, 8:48 AM #383628

Not to be a total Debbie Downer, but have you really looked at who we have beaten?  We held on to beat Incarnate Word, who lost by 50 (NOT a typo!!!) in the first game of the year.  We beat Florida Tech who is DII team in an exhibition (does that game actually count?).  We beat Towson who is a bad team (lost to North Dakota State by 25 in their next game after we beat them - and NDSU is far from a basketball blue-blood).

The 2 decent teams we played we are 1-1, and that win was a crazy come from behind where we were down by 20.  I am not saying winning these games isn't a whole lot better than losing them, and it is clear there is more of a system and a plan (which is ultimately going to lead to good things).  But I don't think I would book my Final Four reservations just yet.  Vast improvement, but I would guess May needs a year or two to get his system and the new players doing what he wants consistently.

Expect some ups-and-downs but that FAU is on to something long-term.  I need to see more against better competition to know where the Owls are right now.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2018, 7:50 AM #383648

I do agree with the sentiment, but guaranteed in past years no doubt in my mind the team loses a couple of these games.

It is progress this program has to show. I have been one biggest critics of the basketball program, but it is nice to see a decent start to the season for once.

It has at least caught my attention to make a couple of basketball games this year
Back to the top

Agreed. I haven't renewed my season tickets that I let lapse 2 years ago but I will definitely go see them a few times this season. It's nice to have a man at the helm that has a plan!
Back to the top

Me too Teambeer. I'm a huge fan of supporting people that work hard. I feel we have a HC that will work hard. He may or may not succeed. But I will support his effort. I've always liked watching basketball. I was just having a hard time with the HC and his effort.
Back to the top
Control functions: