Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Moves by Kiffin

d-owl said

It's totally understandable for Pecoraro to be shown the door with the defense falling off. He didn't adjust his coaching to the actual talent level on that side of the ball, which CK did with the bend and don't break, not overly aggressive approach, which worked.

With that said, I don't think the major coaching changes should end there. As said earlier, there are a number of dynamics/factors in play, but IMHO the OC should be shown the door as well. There was too much talent on that side of the ball, and too many key players returning, for the results we had. Kiffin was obviously forced to get out of the "CEO" role and take a more hands on approach with the O when it was clear we were stuck in the mud.

I totally expect him to remain, but other OCs would have had a field day with the weapons we had on O. The OC  experiment was a failure.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2018, 11:31 PM #383922

Agree with ya! the 2nd half failures vs. CUSA D'd should NOT have ever happened! NINE (9) 2nd half points total in the losses (TWO AT HOME!!!).

How we finished 13th in the NATION in yds. per game with NO O in so many 2nd halves was amazing and INEXCUSEABLE! How many games we have well over 300 yards O at the half and then………….

ONE (1) FRIGGIN TD INSTEAD OF A FG IN THE 2ND HALVES OF THOSE GAMES AND WE ARE 8-4! And THREE times we failed to do that vs. CUSA opposition, not Power5!
Back to the top

d-owl said

It's totally understandable for Pecoraro to be shown the door with the defense falling off. He didn't adjust his coaching to the actual talent level on that side of the ball, which CK did with the bend and don't break, not overly aggressive approach, which worked.

With that said, I don't think the major coaching changes should end there. As said earlier, there are a number of dynamics/factors in play, but IMHO the OC should be shown the door as well. There was too much talent on that side of the ball, and too many key players returning, for the results we had. Kiffin was obviously forced to get out of the "CEO" role and take a more hands on approach with the O when it was clear we were stuck in the mud.

I totally expect him to remain, but other OCs would have had a field day with the weapons we had on O. The OC  experiment was a failure.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2018, 11:31 PM #383922

Ok, a couple things here

1.Lane calls most of the plays, so you can not blame an OC for some bad plays call when he is not making them.

You think Lane let's Weis call QB run sprint out followed by a another sprint out tossed down the field with 1:57 to go on the road? NO!
2. You saying all these weapons, but outside our TE and two RB's weapons were very limited this year.

WR's were awful at getting open and blocking all year. Lane made this clear from camp that he thought there play was bad. Durante did not do anything really well other than run in straight line down the field and even then he dropped some big ones.  The oline play was below average with two GT and the first guy off the bench for either guard was a RS FR walk on.

Toss in some inconsistent young QB play and the offence was not going to be the same.

Despite all the we were still 14th in in total offence, so the yards were there it's just about cleaning up some finishing drives.
3. Let's also remeber Briles was becuase his name was toxic and we got him on a bargin.

I saw somone bring up Dewitt  for DC, but not relizing he is just an OLB coach who makes about what our DC made OC combined last year.  What safe bet at OC are brining in on 250K?
Back to the top

I think this was the right move to make regarding firing of the DC. I did not see our defense as a dominating presence at all this year. It was very rare for our defense to make a play unless the other team made a mistake. Although I do want to point out that Lane did put Pec in bad situations such as going for it on 4th down on our own 30 yard line so the stats against us may look a little worse than they should be.

I have my full trust in Lane that he will find the best person he can for the job. I am not upset with our OC because it appears to me there were issues with the WR coach to begin with and this issue really effected us for the entire season.

Go owls!!
Back to the top

Charlie Weiss Jr needs to go! He dismantled an offense! Has never worn pads, and most importantly is a product of nepotism.

Under his "leadership":

PPG: 40.6 (8th in the nation)

PPG: 31.1 (51st in the nation)

Kevin Smith should be made OC.

Go Owls
Back to the top

I think losing Taleni and Nagel hurt the DL at ton, and had a detrimental effect on the whole defense. On offense we lost the 3 interior lineman and obviously we didn't do a good job of replacing everyone. As for the receivers, they were horrible, but we were scoring 50 Ppg for a few weeks last year before Solomon and woods came back. So we were a scoring machine last year even without woods and Solomon. Therefore it's the Oline and play calling. On D the line was obviously dismal. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I think losing Taleni and Nagel hurt the DL at ton, and had a detrimental effect on the whole defense. On offense we lost the 3 interior lineman and obviously we didn't do a good job of replacing everyone. As for the receivers, they were horrible, but we were scoring 50 Ppg for a few weeks last year before Solomon and woods came back. So we were a scoring machine last year even without woods and Solomon. Therefore it's the Oline and play calling. On D the line was obviously dismal. 
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 11:20 AM #383930

The DL generated very little push, which put a lot of pressure on the secondary. So I definitely agree on that.

Play calling is undoubtedly the reason we crashed and burned. We were highly predictable, and to be honest the WR's and QB's were not on the same page for mots of the plays.
Back to the top

I am and always will be"old school". Football is won and lost on both sides of the lines. OL and DL. We were poor at both. The OL suffered because of Coach Justice leaving .  And the DL had a lack of dominant bodies. We have a good DL coach.Just didn't have the talent. UAB would have blown us away this year. Weird to think we need to start over again after last seasons success.
Back to the top

DislexicSpeedReader said

Charlie Weiss Jr needs to go! He dismantled an offense! Has never worn pads, and most importantly is a product of nepotism.

Under his "leadership":

PPG: 40.6 (8th in the nation)

PPG: 31.1 (51st in the nation)

Kevin Smith should be made OC.

Go Owls
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 11:12 AM #383929
Why do we let these peole post?

Did you need read a single thing I posted about the O?

Also, I lobe critzing Weis Nepotism and not "wearing pads" when Kendel Briles was the son of a coach and never played either.
Back to the top

The situation with Coach Pec is completely up in the air. It's not even known if Lane Kiffin himself knows if Pec is still on staff.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

This is such a strange situation. I wonder if its because Kiffin wants to fire him but FAU cannot afford the severance.
Back to the top
Control functions: