Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Moves by Kiffin

faufan2017 said

This is such a strange situation. I wonder if its because Kiffin wants to fire him but FAU cannot afford the severance.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:50 PM #383936

I would guess he might be waiting for candidates to finish their season before that. I would venture the news got out before lane wanted it to. 

Not a great look whatever the reasoning is 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

DislexicSpeedReader said

Charlie Weiss Jr needs to go! He dismantled an offense! Has never worn pads, and most importantly is a product of nepotism.

Under his "leadership":

PPG: 40.6 (8th in the nation)

PPG: 31.1 (51st in the nation)

Kevin Smith should be made OC.

Go Owls
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 11:12 AM #383929
Why do we let these peole post?

Did you need read a single thing I posted about the O?

Also, I lobe critzing Weis Nepotism and not "wearing pads" when Kendel Briles was the son of a coach and never played either.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:22 PM #383934
Is that you Charlie? Sorry I hurt your feelings. Now, I am new to this forum, so I really do not care about your old posts.

Now Facts:

Kendal Briles led one of the most prolific offenses at Baylor as a position coach for 8 years. Weis Jr could not buy a pack of cigarettes then. Briles also played college ball. Besides, Briles sr isn't a football famous name compared to Weis. Briles earned his stripes, he left us for a greater opportunity.

Tip:

"Lobe critizing Weis Nepotism" … This doesn't really make sense. Also, lobe? Do not be rude to fellow fans, do not be a foul owl.
Back to the top

Not only did Kendal Briles play, I think he was an all state or district qb in high school. My problem with Weis is with his father. Weis Sr. Never adjusted to the college game. He brought his NFL playbook with him and failed after he didn't have Qb's like Quinn and Clausen anymore. Why should I think his son is different, that's what bothers me. And sure, it is an issue that Weis Jr. Didn't play no matter what anyone says. The dude didn't even play high school, much less was he actually a good player. I don't even think Weis Sr played high school either, definitely not college
Back to the top

Played. Didn't play. Totally useless fact. Are they successful, doing what they  are doing, the way they are doing it. Heck, I played . I can't coach. Some guys are better teachers. Some guys can see the game differently then others. When you hire unproven coaches, it is a crap shoot. We have some really good coaches. A couple are still learning.
Back to the top

DislexicSpeedReader said

Is that you Charlie? Sorry I hurt your feelings. Now, I am new to this forum…

Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:55 PM #383939

I can assure you that guy isn't Charlie Weis Jr.

I can assume Weis Jr is a member of this message board.

Welcome to the forum. Owlcountry40 is a passionate fan who loves X's and O's and is also a part of the podcast.

I am a longtime college football who makes whitty puns and dad jokes while also enjoying stats.

We have a member that types in ALL CAPS, one that continually picks on an offensive lineman, the administrator Rick to keep us inline, one that trolls other schools on Twitter, and other colorful members.

What role will you be assuming as you join our discussions?

Back to the top

And a drunk (who writes in parenthetical-hyphens)!

Is Pecoraro fired? almost fired? or? The news is too back-and-forth for me.

Back to the top

DislexicSpeedReader said

owlcountry40 said

DislexicSpeedReader said

Charlie Weiss Jr needs to go! He dismantled an offense! Has never worn pads, and most importantly is a product of nepotism.

Under his "leadership":

PPG: 40.6 (8th in the nation)

PPG: 31.1 (51st in the nation)

Kevin Smith should be made OC.

Go Owls
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 11:12 AM #383929
Why do we let these peole post?

Did you need read a single thing I posted about the O?

Also, I lobe critzing Weis Nepotism and not "wearing pads" when Kendel Briles was the son of a coach and never played either.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:22 PM #383934
Is that you Charlie? Sorry I hurt your feelings. Now, I am new to this forum, so I really do not care about your old posts.

Now Facts:

Kendal Briles led one of the most prolific offenses at Baylor as a position coach for 8 years. Weis Jr could not buy a pack of cigarettes then. Briles also played college ball. Besides, Briles sr isn't a football famous name compared to Weis. Briles earned his stripes, he left us for a greater opportunity.

Tip:

"Lobe critizing Weis Nepotism" … This doesn't really make sense. Also, lobe? Do not be rude to fellow fans, do not be a foul owl.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:55 PM #383939

You're a troll
 You look at one simple stat and point all the blame on Weis.

Not factoring the offense goes through Lane, or the below average oline play, poor WR play, young QB, tougher schedule, the fact league has seen our O for a year.

Nope all of that it's on Weis.

Better make the RB coach the OC…..

Back to the top

The biggest issue is the ypc numbers. They went from 4.8 ypc in 2016 to 6.2 in 2017 (top ten in the country). And this year we went down to 5.1. We had roughly the same running back core all 3 years. That can't have anything to with QB play, and I'm very suspect our poor receiver play had anything to do with it either. Obviously we had crippling issues on the O-line. But, it seemed like we were calling different plays this year. The screens to Willie Wright weren't as crisply designed as last year and we barely did any RPO or trick plays. I guess I don't know who was calling plays the last 10 games last year, but if it was Kiffin, he certainly had a different playbook this year. And Briles was always on the sideline talking to Driskel and making signals. I believe Lane might have called plays this year and had a guy on the sidelines interact with the QB. But last year at the very least I believe that Briles had an influence on our play calling. I believe our YPC shot up in 2017 (6.2) because of Briles and went down to a extremely disappointing 5.1 this past season because of no Briles. Either that or our RG. Actually the fact I'm debating it means it was probably the latter.  :Laughing:
Back to the top

Lol so unlike last season, we were way more one dimensional because of our WR/QB play. That lead a ton of teams to stack the box (put more players in and prevent the run). That probably played a big role in our reduced running numbers.  And in addition it didn't help that we had to replace a bunch of our O-Line as well.

And yes I agree our playcalling was pretty vanilla. But there's usually reasons for that. The QB is supposed to read the defense and make on the spot decisions and change the play if necessary. You can't do any of that fancy stuff if your QB has a hard time understanding the playbook. That happens often with young QBs.

The benefit with having someone like Kiffin here is that he's one of the best OCs in college football. Charlie Weis Jr and him want to convert our team into a pro-style offense which will take time and requires the right type of players. Expect Kiffin to recruit HARD this offseason
Back to the top

Just wanted to point out recruiting this off-season is for the most part nearly done - early signing period starts in just over 2 weeks (12/19 I believe).  So I hope we have been recruiting hard (just quietly) way before now.

And does anybody know when the transfer signing period is?  I can go look it up, but I am too lazy 😀
Back to the top
Control functions: