Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Leaving Early

Durante could run fast as lightning but couldn't catch on the run. So it renders his speed pretty much useless. You can't keep wasting plays on some brilliant placed pass just to see him drop it. Honestly, could anyone catch on our team this year besides our TE's. I'm really hoping that Kyle Davis ends up being better than Durante. If you're taking a chance on transfers, it's best to go after the super talented kids that just got kicked off the team for something stupid than guys that left their school because they weren't good enough. You never want to take a chance on a guy that wasn't good enough in his last stop. That's why grad transfers like Taleni work, because they were starters, and Riles didn't, because he obviously wasn't starting at UF, lol. If we're getting these guys, and I think you can dominate C-USA taking advantage of these transfers, you need to get the guys that got kicked off of their team due to something other than performance.
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

This isn’t a huge surprise, he was a top high school player that has had a lot of hype bestowed on him and has probably been focused on the NFL for awhile. I’m not mad and I hope he makes himself some money. I think he had a lot of room for improvement but we’ll see.

The only guys I thought really might be able to leave early were Motor (undoubtedly the best FAU player I’ve seen since Alfred) and Rashad Smith he isn’t a great tackler but he gets his nose in there and has good range. 

If the person you are hearing rumors about isn’t Smith then I’m going to be pretty surprised. 
Posted On: Dec 5th 2018, 8:28 PM #383990

Smith is only a sophomore 
Back to the top

Smith is a Junior - listed as such on the FAU site and has 3 years’ worth of stats.  But isn’t the rule you have to be 3 years removed from high school?  If so, even RS Sophomores or even Sophomores who went to a military or prep school after graduating high school for a year could declare.

Rashad Smith - Football - Florida Atlantic University Athletics
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Smith is a Junior - listed as such on the FAU site and has 3 years’ worth of stats.  But isn’t the rule you have to be 3 years removed from high school?  If so, even RS Sophomores or even Sophomores who went to a military or prep school after graduating high school for a year could declare.

Rashad Smith - Football - Florida Atlantic University Athletics

Posted On: Dec 6th 2018, 7:22 AM #384004

Oops lol. But yeah it’s 3 years removed. 

But I think he is a NFL player as well. Even when Azeez was healthy I thought he was the better linebacker. He has shown over the past couple years to be a capable pass rusher, run defender, and really developed coverage skills this year. 

Back to the top

I knew smith was here before Kiffin. The defense really can’t afford to take any more losses so I hope he stays. This coming year is going to be mostly Kiffin’s guys and I’m not sure that’s a good thing. 
Back to the top

Jeez, I'm out of pocket for a few days (work related) and see this lol.
Back to the top

My guess is Motor and Harrison Bryant. 2 best players on the team and both with a shot of being drafted in the 3 or 4th round.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I feel like Durante could have raised his stock with a good year in 2019.  I know the counter is he could blow out his knee, so hard to fault anyone for declaring for the draft early.  Best of luck!
Back to the top

owlmart said

I feel like Durante could have raised his stock with a good year in 2019.  I know the counter is he could blow out his knee, so hard to fault anyone for declaring for the draft early.  Best of luck!
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 11:59 AM #384045

This assumes he learns how to not drop passes and remains academically eligible, which would mean graduating before the next season.

The more you look at this decision, the more it starts to make sense.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NOT gonna get drafted IMHO! What we see, NFL scouts and execs will see! But not a done deal till he signs with an agent.
Back to the top
Control functions: