Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Moves by Kiffin

DislexicSpeedReader said

owlcountry40 said

DislexicSpeedReader said

Charlie Weiss Jr needs to go! He dismantled an offense! Has never worn pads, and most importantly is a product of nepotism.

Under his "leadership":

PPG: 40.6 (8th in the nation)

PPG: 31.1 (51st in the nation)

Kevin Smith should be made OC.

Go Owls
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 11:12 AM #383929
Why do we let these peole post?

Did you need read a single thing I posted about the O?

Also, I lobe critzing Weis Nepotism and not "wearing pads" when Kendel Briles was the son of a coach and never played either.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:22 PM #383934
Is that you Charlie? Sorry I hurt your feelings. Now, I am new to this forum, so I really do not care about your old posts.

Now Facts:

Kendal Briles led one of the most prolific offenses at Baylor as a position coach for 8 years. Weis Jr could not buy a pack of cigarettes then. Briles also played college ball. Besides, Briles sr isn't a football famous name compared to Weis. Briles earned his stripes, he left us for a greater opportunity.

Tip:

"Lobe critizing Weis Nepotism" … This doesn't really make sense. Also, lobe? Do not be rude to fellow fans, do not be a foul owl.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 4:55 PM #383939
LOL!! Preach! I've been traveling for work, been out of pocket – seeing all kinds of news now - and your post is straight to the point and pretty accurate IMHO. No, the O drop off isn't all the OC, but it's hillarious to me how folks try to look the other way with him lol. People can talk about WRs being subpar (they were), the OL, whatever…the fact of the matter is – there was more than enough on that side of the ball to not have the dropoff we saw in just 1 year. You have Motor, Whyte, Bryant, Wright, and Durante (still had a solid year at WR despite his shortcomings) - you don't struggle being consistent running over C USA defenses, sorry. Yes, the head coach is also to blame, the WR coach, the play on the field etc. What exactly was our OC doing all year? lol. Well, he comes on the cheap, so I guess he will stay, unfortunately. He better sit with his pops all off season and figure things out.
Back to the top

I did not know turner Gill retired as HC at Liberty earlier this month, replaced by Hugh Freezer (yes, that liar and Christian dirt bag). Don't care about that but Gill would be great add IMHO, recruits well and we GOTTA improve the O!

It is said on here the O was ok since we are at 13th in yards, per game in the nation but POINTS ARE WHAT MATTERS, and we did NOT score enough points this year. ESPECIALLY IN CUSA AND ESPECIALLY NOT IN 2ND HALVES!!! AND the O sure did not improves as the year went on, even against our level or weaker competition!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I did not know turner Gill retired as HC at Liberty earlier this month, replaced by Hugh Freezer (yes, that liar and Christian dirt bag). Don't care about that but Gill would be great add IMHO, recruits well and we GOTTA improve the O!

It is said on here the O was ok since we are at 13th in yards, per game in the nation but POINTS ARE WHAT MATTERS, and we did NOT score enough points this year. ESPECIALLY IN CUSA AND ESPECIALLY NOT IN 2ND HALVES!!! AND the O sure did not improves as the year went on, even against our level or weaker competition!
Posted On: Dec 7th 2018, 11:27 AM #384031
The second half "adjustments" were essentially non-existent. Motor was able to mask as much of the offensive shortcomings as he could, but the predictable play calling with Parr part II running the show became infuriating at times to me.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

The biggest issue is the ypc numbers. They went from 4.8 ypc in 2016 to 6.2 in 2017 (top ten in the country). And this year we went down to 5.1. We had roughly the same running back core all 3 years. That can't have anything to with QB play, and I'm very suspect our poor receiver play had anything to do with it either. Obviously we had crippling issues on the O-line. But, it seemed like we were calling different plays this year. The screens to Willie Wright weren't as crisply designed as last year and we barely did any RPO or trick plays. I guess I don't know who was calling plays the last 10 games last year, but if it was Kiffin, he certainly had a different playbook this year. And Briles was always on the sideline talking to Driskel and making signals. I believe Lane might have called plays this year and had a guy on the sidelines interact with the QB. But last year at the very least I believe that Briles had an influence on our play calling. I believe our YPC shot up in 2017 (6.2) because of Briles and went down to a extremely disappointing 5.1 this past season because of no Briles. Either that or our RG. Actually the fact I'm debating it means it was probably the latter.  :Laughing:
Posted On: Dec 4th 2018, 9:01 PM #383947

Actually… Last years QB averaged 5.1 ypc, this years averaged 2.9, so it did have SOMETHING to do with it.
Back to the top

And with Robison playing we still did not run as much at QB as last year, even though Robison is quite quicker. Robison 73 carries 211 yards, Driskell 84 carries for 517 yards and Robison played more. In addition, what did we do to replace the Franklin threat to our attack - nothing really! Oh and the jet sweeps with Willie were actually done less and did not work near as well.

And trick plays to keep D loose or even attack an over aggressive packed box???? An actual option style pitch or quick toss to get the ball outside the packed box quickly (not just the bubble screen!)???

SO many options to actually HELP Motor and the freshman QB!

Briles HAS imagination and creativity, Jr. may be very smart but looked VERY overmatched to me. And our 2nd half O struggles point this out clearly to me. TOATALLY outcoached at and after halftime NUMEROUS times this year.
Back to the top

I’m apparently the only person who thinks so but I thought Driskell was an above average runner and was much more athletic than he was given credit. Robison might have a faster 40 but he wasn’t particularly elusive and went down pretty easily. He will get bigger which can help but running ability is instinctive. Better play calling would help him all around, but he wasn’t killing it when his number was called either. 
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And with Robison playing we still did not run as much at QB as last year, even though Robison is quite quicker. Robison 73 carries 211 yards, Driskell 84 carries for 517 yards and Robison played more. In addition, what did we do to replace the Franklin threat to our attack - nothing really! Oh and the jet sweeps with Willie were actually done less and did not work near as well.

And trick plays to keep D loose or even attack an over aggressive packed box???? An actual option style pitch or quick toss to get the ball outside the packed box quickly (not just the bubble screen!)???

SO many options to actually HELP Motor and the freshman QB!

Briles HAS imagination and creativity, Jr. may be very smart but looked VERY overmatched to me. And our 2nd half O struggles point this out clearly to me. TOATALLY outcoached at and after halftime NUMEROUS times this year.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 2:33 PM #384052

We ran a trick play in pretty much every game and not one was executed. They ran flea flicker vs UCF. A WR pass vs Marshall, A double pass vs UNT. Those are just the exact ones I remember exactly. I know there were more. 

Also when your WR’s can’t block which our WR’s were dog s*** at it’s hard to run a quick outside option pitch.

ALSO FOR THE 10000000 Lane called the plays!!!!!!!!!

Back to the top

How does our Special Teams Coordinator, Jaron Fairman, still have a job?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 5:16 PM #384058
^ this man is asking the right question. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 5:16 PM #384058

He was handpicked by Lane he ain’t going anywhere. Team was in most games this year. They just need to clean things up. Get some pass rushers. Get that aggressive defense that was talked about all off season. 
Back to the top
Control functions: