Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IDEA: Improve The Burrow?

Add topic

I'm with you about lipstick on a pig. Could the current Burrow get better? Sure. Is it worth it? Probably not. I'd like to see a new facility built to the east of it and the existing Burrow could be used for practice/volleyball/etc.

Athletics' focus right now appears to be completing the Schmidt Athletic Complex and working towards a new baseball stadium - Zyscovich is on board, kickoff meeting done, they started design phase, per the most recent Minor Project Status Report.

They're also doing a new building for the Tennis and track programs.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I'm with you about lipstick on a pig. Could the current Burrow get better? Sure. Is it worth it? Probably not. I'd like to see a new facility built to the east of it and the existing Burrow could be used for practice/volleyball/etc.

Athletics' focus right now appears to be completing the Schmidt Athletic Complex and working towards a new baseball stadium - Zyscovich is on board, kickoff meeting done, they started design phase, per the most recent Minor Project Status Report.

They're also doing a new building for the Tennis and track programs.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 4:52 PM #384056

I tend to agree with Owl2Doc on this. Get the new Athletic Complex built and then get working on the baseball stadium. I would like to see this happen. Once the new Complex is start a captial campaign to build and move the soccer complex over to the old football practice facility. We should also use the old soccer complex to build a indoor swimming and diving facility and in turn tear up the old swimming and diving faciilty to build locker rooms for not only baseball but only softball, with the baseball practice field being converted to a first rate softball facility. I think this was already mentioned. A new basketball facility can come later.
Back to the top

I still say pursue a deal for a hotel/convocation/convention center and dorms with a developer and get a new arena and academics and housing done!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I still say pursue a deal for a hotel/convocation/convention center and dorms with a developer and get a new arena and academics and housing done!
Posted On: Dec 10th 2018, 7:23 AM #384084

There have been a number of proposals over the year where private developers give FAU what they want in exchange for land to build what they want - Innovation Village being the only one (that I'm aware of) that came to fruition and that was a win-win because you got the stadium and dorms.

In the paper there was an offer for a convention center hotel along with dorms and shops in the Southeast corner of campus. I haven't seen where FAU has discussed it publicly, and it hasn't come up in awhile in the news, which makes me think they want to pass. Not sure why other than perhaps it asks FAU to give up too much land.
Back to the top

Thanks Diehard, I agree there must be something the school does not want, but then we are still stuck in the present. Project sure sounded like a great addition for the school though. I personally would that same "physical plan" to ALL other developers in the Country and see if ONE would do it with better terms for the school to GET IT DONE!

Does FAU actually have a staff to pursue physical plant deals? We have not done any major (meaning new structures) projects for several years now, to me since Freshman Residence Hall and new parking garage, quite a long time for a "growing" U to be quiet in new facilities.
Back to the top

Stadium renovations, IPF, medical school, new medical building.

All within last 3 years. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

"Stadium renovations" so far are a new bigger locker room under the stadium. Really just starting of the rest of it.

I knew they had some renovations to medical school building but was not aware of an entirely new building being added.

What is IPF???

I do know breezeway took quite a while to upgrade, even marginally, even if just for a better cleaner look!

And thanks for the updates, I don't live down there so I do realize lots going on I don't know about!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"Stadium renovations" so far are a new bigger locker room under the stadium. Really just starting of the rest of it.

I knew they had some renovations to medical school building but was not aware of an entirely new building being added.

What is IPF???

I do know breezeway took quite a while to upgrade, even marginally, even if just for a better cleaner look!

And thanks for the updates, I don't live down there so I do realize lots going on I don't know about!
Posted On: Dec 10th 2018, 10:40 AM #384089

IPF is the indoor practice facility.
Back to the top

Oh, ok! Makes sense now, thanks guys!

I personally don't consider the Stadium, Student Center and IPF as new construction projects I guess since it is not really a new idea or a part of regular school facilities projects (Housing , Classrooms, Athletic Facilities other than football).

Just seems a slower time in campus additions and improvements to me.
Back to the top

As shocking as it is when compared to other CUSA Basketball venues, the Burrow is the least of our concerns when it comes to comes to improving facilities.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top
Control functions: