Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin Taps Former OK State & Charlotte DC Glenn Spencer to Run Owls Defense

Kiffin Taps Former OK State & Charlotte DC Glenn Spencer to Run Owls Defense
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic University head football coach Lane Kiffin has appointed Glenn Spencer as defensive coordinator of the FAU Owls. Spencer most recently held the same position with the Charlotte 49ers.

In one season at Charlotte, Spencer revitalized the defensive unit. The 49ers were ranked 11th in the county with 88.5 rushing yards per game. Additionally, the 49ers ranked third in C-USA and 14th in the FBS in total defense allowing just 306.6 total yards of offense.

Prior to Charlotte, Spencer spent 10 years at Oklahoma State University as defensive coordinator, defensive line coach and linebackers coach.

During his 10 years at OSU, Spencer was the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator for five seasons. The Cowboys amassed a 96-34 record over those 10 years and won both the 2011 and 2012 Fiesta Bowl games. OSU made additional trips to New Year’s Six bowl games – the Sugar Bowl in 2016 and 2015, as well as the Cotton Bowl in 2014, 2013, 2010 and 2009. The Cowboys enjoyed 10-win seasons in six of Spencer’s last seven years and won six of their last eight bowl games.  

Hired as the Cowboys' defensive line coach in 2008, Spencer began coaching the linebackers in 2009. He coached linebackers for the remainder of his time in Stillwater and was named co-defensive coordinator in 2011 before taking on defensive coordinator responsibilities completely in 2013.  He will serve as FAU’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.
Back to the top

Q
Back to the top

Didn't think Kiffin would move on so quickly, but I'm not complaining…
Back to the top

Very interesting hire. It seems like he had a great year at charlotte this year with the talent they have. Statistically he did really well on Defense. This could be a hugely successful hire.

I'm pretty impressed that we're having no trouble snatching up other Conference USA coaches at will.
Back to the top

OK, I'm happy they made a change.  The defense under performed in a big way this year.  Not too happy that the new guy was the coach whose players were flopping all over the field to slow us down.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

OK, I'm happy they made a change.  The defense under performed in a big way this year.  Not too happy that the new guy was the coach whose players were flopping all over the field to slow us down.
Posted On: Dec 15th 2018, 8:30 PM #384230

Did it work?
Back to the top

Just need to look at the rushing yards allowed by Charlotte…Tennessee 20 yards??

Against us, the dramatic episodes were needed when they were needed.

Wasn't the reason we lost…had plenty of chances to win otherwise.
Back to the top

I think this is an excellent hire and will help our defense tremendously. I hope we all can appreciate how we used to never previously get coaches of this tenure to come to FAU. Coach Spencer would have easily been a candidate for head coach here. We are making tremendous strides here we will see great success soon!

Go owls!
Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: