Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 C-USA Bowl Games Thread

Add topic

Rick said

GeorgiaOwl said

I don't know what they call it but CUSA with it's 4-2 record is the CONFERENCE with the best bowl record BY FAR!
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2019, 9:36 AM #384486

IND at 2-1 have the same percentage but i get your point…..
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2019, 12:00 PM #384493

Who would have thought CUSA would come out on top after those first two games. And it was very needed as CUSA had been judged by far the worst conference after the regular season. Even worse that the Belt!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Agreed, to a point. It has always been this possibility but not until the past few years has it become ok to screw your school teammates over though. I just fear this will get real ugly and talk of it spreading even to the HS level is troubling as well.

Nothing done for the team, the community or society, all for self. Very sad way to live IMHO!

But then I guess I am in the minority in thinking Coaches like Diaz who committed to a job (Temple) just walking out on that new job for another is disrespectful, unethical and basically immoral. That shows NO character and no leadership characteristic I would want young recruits and players to be exposed to.

And THAT is I guess where much of this began, Coaches talking TEAM to their school, players and recruits just grabbing the next better offer irregardless of the contract they signed. The COACHES show NO commitment or ethics or responsibility so why should the players. Again, very SAD to me.

I grew up a UM fan but I hope they and Diaz fall flat on their face as the SCHOOL to me should not have even pursued him knowing he had a commitment to another School.
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2019, 12:08 PM #384494
100% agree with the coach aspect.  In the 90's the NCAA looked to apply caps on pay and coaching mobility to keep the amateurism aspect of the league in check.  However the courts shot it down.  Why an NCAA Cap on College Coaches' Salaries Would Be Illegal

I used to be firm in not paying student athletes.  But my mind has changed.  While I agree college sports should be able to be run on the amateur model (this is not pro sports, no true owner.  Every program build off student fees and donor dollars), the coaching and administrative pay has grown out of control.

Unfortunately (because it changes the entire spirit of college sports), I think it's time to start spreading the coaching pay out to the players.  Take away transfer rules.  All of it.  You just cant justify the way student athletes are compensated and restricted while coaches and administrative folks are running amok.  It's too bad.

Further, the NFL has been getting away with murder.  They should be drafting and paying these kids signing bonuses while they go back to school to continue to play and develop.  It's insane they have been protected from that.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Nope and Saban is right, the playoff is really hurting the rest of the "bowl" system. Who in the future wants to go to an expensive bowl game and trip when the best players refuse to play??? Attendance EVERYWHERE was way off, the Tampa Bowl game was less than half full with two good 8-4 Power 5 teams!!!

I do think they need to plug that up and since the players are UNDER CONTRACT still, only allow verified medical reasons to not play by "choice". That Oliver crud at Houston this year of him basically quitting on his team mid-season cost the team dearly and the Coaches their jobs!

I know people will disagree with me here but if you are afraid to play due to fear of a future injury, just quit the sport! Selfishness in America is just epidemic now! Football is a team sport, no matter how good you are or think you are, be a member of the team or get out! Oliver's example this year tore that team apart!!!! Zero leadership exhibited by him at all!

Posted On: Jan 2nd 2019, 11:38 AM #384491
I for one, have to disagree.  I definitely do not think they are scared of an injury, they are scared of losing millions.  That's life-changing money, generational changing money really. Why is Oliver, a 20-21 year old supposed to be the example?  The OC of his team was under contract and left to triple his pay, why are we setting these young men to a higher standard than the adults?  
Back to the top

well the Belt is coming back to CUDSA level next year. HC's Satterfield (app. St.) to Louisville and now Brown (Troy)to WV, both Power 5 jobs. I think the only HC from CUSA to ne considered for Power 5 job was Littrell at N. Texas but he opted to stay. Glad NT not on our cross division play list the next two years. That will fall to MTSU and UNCC!
Back to the top

Check out this story on the PAC-12 title game;

2020 Pac-12 Championship Game won't be at Levi's

Talk about attendance issues!!! These are Power 5 schools playing for the Pac-12 title and a Rose Bowl spot!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: