Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Group of 5 Playoff Reality

I believe many of the teams who have recently moved "up" from FCS did so because they think the G5 level will end up being the new FCS.  I tend to agree that at some point, the P5 and ****maybe*** a handful of other teams will create a set of super conferences for football and break from the NCAA - they already basically do it with the CFP, as the NCAA has NOTHING to do with the college football playoff.

Knowing lots of fans from Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, and reading message boards from some others like Liberty and Coastal Carolina (all are teams who have come from FCS in the past 5 years), their moves were more aimed at staying at the "next" level down from the big boys whenever the next thing happens with realignment rather than finding themselves 2 levels behind.

I will say it is going to be hard to make this happen, though.  The money is now so outlandish why would any team in the P5 want to break things up?  I know potentially there is more money to be made, but I'd think many bottom-feeder schools in those conferences will push to NOT do anything for awhile because they don't want to be left out if re-alignment goes after making the best football conferences they can.
Back to the top
Control functions: