Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Instant Impact players & top 5 most exciting prospects

Add topic

Now that signing day is over, I'm interested to know, as the thread states, who you think will be instant impact type of players or at the very least not red shirting and who your top 5 favorite prospects are. Keep in mind, a guy doesn't have to be an instant impact type to be a favorite new signee (lineman take time to develop).

Instant Impact

-Diamonte Howard: He is already in Coach love's Strength program and gets to participate in spring and could help ease losing Azeez

-Travon Thomas: A quick look at his highlights and stats show a lengthy DE who has some speed, could be a bigger Leighton Mccarthy type of player for us and has the size to play DE or LB and considering we'll most likely be in a 3-4 defense he could fit right in as a standing blitzing end who sneakily drops back into coverage.

-Tye Edwards: If this guy shows he has what it takes to truly play RB he could be huge for us on 3rd and 4th down conversions lining up in the backfield at 6'3 215-230lbs

-Lavante Epson: Coaches were VERY picky about signing JUCO's this year and I have to imagine this guy showed the coaches enough to think he could help fill the spot Antonio Riles left on the O-line. He's already got the size and more experience than your average freshman, lets see how his conditioning is and how well he transitions.

5 Most Exciting

Cameron Wynn
Latrell Jean
Diamonte Howard
Dwight Toombs
Adarius Tolliver
Back to the top

I'd add BJ Emmons to the list…

Also, not sure what the deal is with Trey Rodriguez yet as he says that will visit in the Spring to speak with the coaches, but if he walks on put him on there as well.

We all know what he can do with a good line…Not Singletary's style of making folks miss to get up field, but super quick out of the hole, scary quick.
Back to the top

Rick said

I'd add BJ Emmons to the list…

Also, not sure what the deal is with Trey Rodriguez yet as he says that will visit in the Spring to speak with the coaches, but if he walks on put him on there as well.

We all know what he can do with a good line…Not Singletary's style of making folks miss to get up field, but super quick out of the hole, scary quick.
Posted On: Feb 7th 2019, 8:20 PM #385085

There are so many running backs on the roster right now, I doubt a motor will emerge but if even someone who can get us consistent yards like Buddy did when he was the feature back would be good.
Back to the top

Emmons didn't get a scholarship and see playing time at Alabama as a true Freshman for nothing.  If he is in shape and has his head on straight (hopefully the last 2 years have taught him he needs to prove something), he could be an absolute beast in CUSA.  And isn't he already in school, so he will get to participate in Spring drills?
Back to the top

We do seem to have quite the options at RB now. Even just the new guys, can you imagine the power backfield option of Emmons at HB and Edwards at FB in a two back backfield set! Those are two BIG POWERFUL AND FAST BACKS, WHICHEVER IS CARRYING THE BALL BEHIND THE LEAD BLOCKING BACK! Both as big or bigger than most CUSA LB's (ours included).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

We do seem to have quite the options at RB now. Even just the new guys, can you imagine the power backfield option of Emmons at HB and Edwards at FB in a two back backfield set! Those are two BIG POWERFUL AND FAST BACKS, WHICHEVER IS CARRYING THE BALL BEHIND THE LEAD BLOCKING BACK! Both as big or bigger than most CUSA LB's (ours included).
Posted On: Feb 8th 2019, 8:18 AM #385101

Or you could have one of the two of those bigger backs on a 3rd and short and leave the defense guessing on if its a run up the middle or some sort of outside slashing run by one of the smaller more agile backs. Or you have both of them in and just throw a quick slant to willy.
Back to the top

sjacks78 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Feb 8th 2019, 8:18 AM #385101

Or you could have one of the two of those bigger backs on a 3rd and short and leave the defense guessing on if its a run up the middle or some sort of outside slashing run by one of the smaller more agile backs. Or you have both of them in and just throw a quick slant to willy.
Posted On: Feb 8th 2019, 8:55 AM #385102

Or Quick slant to Roberts or cook or jd martin. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Regardless, losing Motor AND Kerryth sucks but hopefully a quality speedy back will emerge and emmons and edwards can bring that bigger back punishment into the mix. I'd also like to point out that Malcom Davidson redshirted last year but played only 2 snaps against bethune and broke a 32 yard run and another 5 Yard run. I'm interested to see if he might be a hidden talent.
Back to the top

I don't believe Davidson redshirted.  I brought this up a couple of times, but per the stats he appeared in 7 games:

True Freshman (2018)

Recorded a 32-yard carry versus Bethune
    Saw action against No. 16 UCF
    Member of the special teams unit at Middle Tennessee
    Recorded two kick returns versus ODU for a total of 56 yards. His longest was a 32-yarder
    Earned special teams time versus Marshall and LA Tech
    Worked with both the special teams and offensive units at FIU and recorded his second carry of the season for a two-yard gain

That was a totally wasted year of eligibility (in my opinion), as I was really high on Davidson coming out of high school.
Back to the top

But mostly PLEASE teach Robison to take what the D gives and MOVE THE CHAINS! And Coaches - UP THE TEMPO AGAIN, wear the opposing D's down!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: