Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ UTSA - February 9, 2019

Add topic

Owls Travel to San Antonio to Take on High Flying Roadrunners

What: FAU (14-10, 5-6) @ UTSA (14-10, 8-3)

When: Saturday, February 9th, 2018 @ 4:00pm

Where: UTSA Convocation Center

Series: The Owls have won two straight over the Roadrunners, improving their all-times series lead to 5-3.

Video: CUSA.tv (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

UTSA Site: Here

Roadrunners At A Glance:

Offense: 79.7 PPG, 44% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense: 75.2 PPGA, 43% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding: 39 PG, 39.2 PG Opponents

Notables

UTSA's position at the top of the C-USA standings has been one of the biggest shocks this season.

Last time out, The Roadrunners dismantled FIU 100-67 for their ninth straight home win and their fourth win in their last five games.

Reigning C-USA Freshman of the Year, Guard Jhivvan Jackson not only leads UTSA in PPG, but all of C-USA with 23. Not far behind as the conference's third highest scorer is Guard Keaton Wallace with 20.6 PPG.

UTSA is the highest scoring team in C-USA since conference play began in January.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 73.1 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 70.2 PPGA, 42% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.3 PG, 35.5 PG Opponents

Notables

FAU enters the tilt with UTSA after a win at UTEP on Thursday, where Anthony Adger had 27 points and a career high 8 three-pointers.

The Owls are just two wins away from sealing their first winning season since the 2010-2011 campaign, which ended in a Regular Season Sun Belt Conference Championship and NIT bid.

Richardson Maitre is expected to see an increase in playing time after being limited against UTEP. The sophomore suffered a concussion the week before.

Opening Line: FAU +7

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Huge road test for the re-surging FAU Owls

Things I am keeping an eye on:

-FAU has played well as big road underdogs this season. UTSA is a 7 point home favorite.  They have road wins against heavy favored UCF and Illinois.

-G Anthony Adger has been playing excellent on the road lately.  The Owls will need a strong performance from the Senior.  Adger has scored 26 and 27 points in the past two road games. Look for Adger to be aggressive early.

-Can FAU limit the high scoring back court duo of Keaton Wallace and Jhivvan Jackson? The Owls will face a huge challenge.  Adger, Forrest, Maitre will have their work cut out for them.  
Back to the top

Kev Ellis remains in the starting lineup over Richardson Maitre. Again, expect Maitre to get limited playing time due to the concussion he sustained over a week ago.

Back to the top

Ryan Rubloff said

-FAU has played well as big road underdogs this season. UTSA is a 7 point home favorite.  They have road wins against heavy favored UCF and Illinois.

Posted On: Feb 9th 2019, 2:28 PM #385124

For what it's worth, I'd bet my student loan debt on UTSA covering. They're just a different animal.

Back to the top

As expected, as fast start for the high-scoring Roadrunners. But we're going a solid job of hanging with them. Kev Ellis is having himself a solid game.

Back to the top

Fantastic crowd this afternoon in San Antonio. The city has really bought into supporting this team.

Back to the top

Zecevic converts one of the bank to pull the Owls ahead!

Back to the top

THAT. WAS. UGLY.

We know the 'Runners will make it rain from the arch, they simply have too many threats to contain. So how does FAU respond? With ten second possessions that end in low-percentage shot attempts.

Back to the top

If you told me that Ellis would be FAU's leading scorer with 15 minutes left in the game, and the Owls are only down a possession, I would laugh in your face. Yet, here we are…

Back to the top

Stapleton brought us level before UTSA's smooth passing absolutely exposed our man-to-man defense.

Back to the top
Control functions: