Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

Both teams I follow very closely (the Owls and my alma mater) had very similar disapointing years.  Both had great potential on offense, both had all kinds of statistics (yards per game in particular), both had defenses that seemed to get a little better (but were still not very good), and both had very suspect areas in special teams that cost them dearly.

But the glaring similarity was the very poor second halves.  Lose a game or two after leading at the half and that is understandable, but have nearly a season-full of games that you had a chance to win in the second half of games but come up short in almost all of them and that tells me you either got conservative and quit playing to win OR the coaches can’t make adjustments nearly as good as the teams we are playing.

It isn’t a talent issue if you are as good or better than the other team for half the game.

That probably fits in the “what went wrong” thread, but like others this was a team who coulda/shoulda/woulda won 8 or more games, so I think if we can recruit (still awfully quiet on that front) we can get back to bowling.  If we don’t fill some holes and repeat the same coaching performance we will be disappointed again.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Both teams I follow very closely (the Owls and my alma mater) had very similar disapointing years.  Both had great potential on offense, both had all kinds of statistics (yards per game in particular), both had defenses that seemed to get a little better (but were still not very good), and both had very suspect areas in special teams that cost them dearly.

But the glaring similarity was the very poor second halves.  Lose a game or two after leading at the half and that is understandable, but have nearly a season-full of games that you had a chance to win in the second half of games but come up short in almost all of them and that tells me you either got conservative and quit playing to win OR the coaches can’t make adjustments nearly as good as the teams we are playing.

It isn’t a talent issue if you are as good or better than the other team for half the game.

That probably fits in the “what went wrong” thread, but like others this was a team who coulda/shoulda/woulda won 8 or more games, so I think if we can recruit (still awfully quiet on that front) we can get back to bowling.  If we don’t fill some holes and repeat the same coaching performance we will be disappointed again.
Posted On: Dec 12th 2018, 7:31 AM #384117

Great post owlsdad, agree 100% with ya.
Back to the top

Had to post this guys post who was commenting on ND blowout loss to Clemson;

So espn and abc has the 2019 preseason polls out already! .
1. Alabama
2. Florida Atlantic
3. OSU
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. Purdue
7. Wisconsin
8. Toledo
9. Akron
10. Notre Dame

Could not stop laughing!
Back to the top

I say let Weis Jr. call plays so Kiffin can be more of a CEO.
Back to the top

Found this and though I would post some good news;

130-team college football rankings: Bama-Clemson gap is now tiny - SBNation.com

As frustrating as last year was we were really so close to being decent, and that is what made is SO frustrating. We all know is means nothing but gotta start to look forward to next year!

Back to the top

The staff at UNCC for next year;

Healy Adds OC Atkins; Names First Members of Staff - UNC Charlotte Athletics

Totally underwhelmed but do see a former Owl legend on the staff! Chris Laskowski the Strength and Conditioning Coach!
Back to the top

We start 2-2 and then the rest of the season is a roll of the dice. Conference play is very hard to predict from week to week. I see us finishing anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4. I don't think a 1 loss conference record is in the cards.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

W did get lucky with cross conference matchups with tougher S. Miss at home and weaker UTSA away.

In fact entire home schedule is vs. the stronger teams so we need to win at home then we have a good chance at a good record!
Back to the top

Has anyone seen the 2019 roster lately? Or is that a preferred pronoun? I only ask because of our Title IX accusations…

2019 Football Roster - Florida Atlantic University Athletics
Back to the top

Speaking of way too early, here are some bowl projections.  I obviously don't pay too much attention to the teams (this does NOT have FAU making a bowl), but I did find it interesting that the Boca Bowl now doesn't have a tie-in with CUSA.

College Football Bowl Projections for the 2019 Season - Stadium
Back to the top
Control functions: