Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. Illinois - Feb. 22nd-24th 2019

Add topic

Owls bats are having a rough day, but it's still early.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Our bats just can't get it going this game. Morgenson is the only Owl to record a hit following Summerall's homer.

Back to the top

FINAL. Owls drop their third straight, falling to Illinois 5-3.

Owls attempt at a late rally fails…too little, too late.

Back to the top

The FAU baseball team scraped together a run in each of the seventh and eighth innings, and had the tying run at the plate, but a chance to tie ended at the wall in the bottom of the ninth in a 5-3 loss Saturday to Illinois.

“Another decent ballgame, but you’ve got to be able to get that additional hit,” said Head Coach John McCormack. “I thought their starting pitcher (Andy Fisher) did a really nice job, I thought (Ryan) Sandberg did a pretty good job, but we’ve got to that additional hit to get (Fisher) out of the game.”

The Owls (3-3) enjoyed a short-lived lead, as Andru Summerall’s solo home run in the second was erased by two Illinois (5-0) runs in the third. The Illini added on with two more in the sixth, and another in the seventh, for a 5-1 advantage.

FAU chipped away, scoring their seventh inning run on a throwing error, and making it a two-run game with a two-out RBI single by Francisco Urbaez in the eighth. In their final turn, Wilfredo Alvarez rapped a hard-hit single through the right side to lead off the ninth. Two batters later, and on a 3-2 count, Jacob Pino hit it about 399 feet to straight-away center, but Illini centerfield Zac Taylor caught it with his back against the wall to prevent what would have been a tie and end the game.

After allowing the first two runs, starter Ryan Sandberg settled down for two zeroes before exiting. Michael Schuler was the star of the night for the Owls on the hill, throwing 2 2/3 hitless and scoreless frames, with three strikeouts

Three hits came in the eighth: A Pedro Pages single up the middle, a Joe Montes single to left, and Urbaez’s RBI single through the left side.

- FIU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

FAU Baseball was behind 5-0 and 9-5, coming  back to tie the game twice, but a 10th-inning Illinois RBI single was the deciding run in an 11-10 series-ending loss on Sunday to the Fighting Illini.

Illinois (6-0) did score five runs in their first turn, all with two outs, but the Owls (3-4) battled back with two in the first (on an Andru Summerall groundout and Bobby Morgensen single) and three more in the second (an Eric Rivera single, a wild pitch, and a Summerall single) to knot things up at 5-5.

“Proud of our guys, they kept fighting,” said Head Coach John McCormack. “It was a terrible start to the day with the five-spot in the top of the first, and as I told them, I’ve seen those days turn in to 8-, 10-, 12-nothing games. The guys kept fighting, but we’ve got to get better.”

The Illini plated the next four, on three in the third and one more in the fourth, and still held a 10-8 advantage going into the home eighth.

With two outs in the FAU eighth and the bases loaded, a gap single by Wilfredo Alvarez to left-center pushed both Joe Montes and Francisco Urbaez across for the second tie of the game, at 10-10.

Each team went scoreless in the ninth, and the game-winner came in the 10th, on a one-out double, a passed ball, and a chopper for a single against FAU’s drawn-in infield.

The Owls went down in order in the bottom of the 10th to give Illinois the finale win.

Another gutsy performance was turned in by Vince Coletti, going 3 1/3 innings and allowing one earned run with two K’s.

Six Owls had multi-hit efforts towards the team’s season high of 14 hits as well as 10 runs. Urbaez had his first three-hit game at FAU, and his first two-RBI game as well. Alvarez notched his first two-RBI game as well, and added two hits for the second time.

- FIU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Coletti has been pitching well.  I wonder if coach will move him back into the rotation?
Back to the top

This is the type of series that can either break this team or bring them together, and I am leaning towards bring them together. If they can bounce back from this series and grow we will be alright as a team.
Back to the top
Control functions: