Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BONUS GAME THREAD: FAU @ Marshall - March 9, 2019

Add topic

FAU Hoops Faces Marshall in Regular Season Finale

What: Florida Atlantic (17-13, 8-9) @ Marshall (17-13, 10-7)

When: Saturday, March 9th @ 12:00 PM Eastern

Where: Cam Henderson Center

Series: The Owls have lost six straight to the Herd, falling 2-7 all-time, including the 96-84 loss in January.

Video: Stadium

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Marshall Team Site: Here

Thundering Herd at a Glance:

Offense – 80.5 PPG, 44% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense – 82.2 PPGA, 47% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 33.2 PG, 42.7 PG Opponents

Notables

Marshall enters Saturday's game winners of four straight, good for a 100% win rate in C-USA Bonus Play. Marshall has scored 85 or more points in each game during their win streak.

MU Head Coach Dan D'Antoni runs a very similar offense to his younger brother, Houston Rockets Head Coach Mike D'Antoni, both of whom are known for their offensive style of basketball. The schemes are based around aggressive guard play and a fast-paced offense. In fact, the Herd have the second most PPG in C-USA.

Guard Jon Elmore is now the all time leading scorer in C-USA history. The Senior was named to the Preseason John R. Wooden Award Watch List, and has not disappointed by averaging 20 PPG. FAU struggled to contain Elmore in January, as he scored 29 points to go along with 7 assists.

Marshall's second leading scorer is veteran G C.J. Burks (18 PPG). FAU's young backcourt will have their hands full with Burks, as he ranks 5th in C-USA in steals. The Martinsburg, West Virginia native scored 30 points and had 6 assists against the Owls earlier in the season.

The third member of Marshall's electric backcourt is true freshmen Taevion Kinsey. The young guard has a rather mature offensive game for his age, shooting 58% from the field.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 71.3 PPG, 41% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 68.1 PPGA, 41% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.0 PG, 35.5 PG Opponents

Notables

The Owls look to get back on track after a heart-breaker in The Burrow against Louisiana Tech.

A win in Huntington will allow the Owls to finish the regular season with a .500 conference record for the first time since the 2010-2011 season.

Earlier in the year, the Owls fought hard against Marshall, scoring 84 points, but came up short. The 84 points was the third highest point total vs. an D-I opponent this season, and the highest point total in a loss since 2016.

While he has struggled recently to get on the score sheet, Michael Forrest's strongest offensive performance was agains the Herd where he scored 32 points.

F Karlis Silins continues to be one of C-USA's late season stars. In 28 minutes of action against Louisiana Tech, Silins scored a season high 19 points and 6 rebounds. The Owls will need his production inside to take the pressure off their inconsistent perimeter shooting.

The Owls will need big contributions from their veteran leaders, G Anthony Adger and F Xavian Stapleton. Adger was able to get back on track against LaTech, scoring 19 points after being held scoreless against North Texas. Stapleton responded well after being placed in the starting lineup against LaTech, scoring 16 points. Both will need big days to keep up against MU's

Opening Line: FAU +7
Back to the top

We're almost underway from Huntington! Today's game WILL be streamed on WatchStadium & CUSA Live on Facebook.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Forrest reenters the starting five. Would like to see him have a big day today, considering his highest point total was against this very opponent a couple of months ago.

Back to the top

What a start for our Boys in Blue!

Back to the top

WHERE HAS THIS EFFORT BEEN ALL SEASON!?

Back to the top

Crowd at "The Cam" is getting very anxious, so the refs are making sure they do their bit to prevent their cars from getting keyed.

Back to the top

Owls are doing a great job at playing the antagonists today.

Back to the top

As great as the first ten minutes of the half was, the other ten minutes we're less than ideal. We're tied at the half.

Back to the top

We just started the second half and the Herd are already in the bonus.

Back to the top

These fans don't understand basic basketball. But I can't blame these, because it seems like these refs don't understand it either.

Back to the top
Control functions: