Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Quarterback Anthony Romphf Commits to FAU Football's Class of 2020

Add topic

The Florida Atlantic football team has found its quarterback of the 2020 cycle, as Michigan native Anthony Romphf announced his commitment on social media Tuesday. Romphf made his decision this week after making his third unofficial visit to FAU's campus.

Romphf, who arrived on campus shortly after last Thursday's Adidas camp, was able to throw for the FAU coaching staff that afternoon.  He spent the rest of the weekend watching film with the coaches, touring the campus, and visiting family who lives locally.

Romphf had narrowed his list of 25 offers – one of which came from Jim Harbaugh at Michigan – down to Iowa State, Michigan State, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers, Louisville, and the Owls.

"The relationship I built with the coaching staff and the vision they have for me in the offense is what separated FAU,'' he told FAUOwlsnest.com.

Aaron Marshall, who played quarterback at Youngstown State and is currently Romphf's offensive coordinator at Southfield Highschoo, told FAUOwlsnest.com that after watching film and discussing offensive concepts with FAU offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr., that Romphf would be a great fit for FAU due to how similar the schemes and offensive pace are.

''One of the hardest working players I've ever coached", Marshall said of Romphf. "His football IQ allows him to do things with the offense you wouldn't be able to do with most high school quarterbacks."

The 6-0, 175lbs dual-threat quarterback threw for over 3,000 yards and threw for 28 touchdowns his Junior season and recently ran a 4.50 laser 40-yard dash at the Washington DC area opening combine.

Romphf also told FAUOwlsnest.com that he expects to sign during the early signing period in December and early enroll in spring of 2020.

This is the third commit of the 2020 cycle for the Owls adding to offensive limen Andre Lamas and running back Frank Gore Jr. who both committed in the past two weeks.
Back to the top

I can not emphasize enough how big of a get this is for FAU.
Back to the top

My Big  10 friends are amazed at his decision. This, if he sticks, may change fau for the next 5 years. I heard he is Big  10 quality.
Back to the top

Good reporting by Shane.  :-]

This has the potential to be a great get. I love this fit. This was a great job by the recruiting staff to really go somewhere a bit different than where recent staffs have focused on (Georgia, Alabama, Texas) and get a guy with a high ceiling. I know we talk about nothing is official until the LOI is signed and they're on campus, but this has the potential to stick. This is a kid who really sees himself here with this staff. Good personality, very open and honest.

Add in Gore Jr. and Lamas, and maybe Henry Parrish Jr., and FAU's 2020 class has some serious early momentum.

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

This is just more proof of where we’re going as a University. I truly believe that the only thing keeping us from being national title contenders is moving up conferences. Never forget that Schnellenberger Stadium when it was built has an option to expand to 60,000 seats with an upper deck. It may seem far fetched but it would certainly make it the best on campus stadium you could imagine. If we were in a P5 conference we’d be national title contenders 
Back to the top

Fantastic reporting Shane….. I know nothing is finalized until the NLI is signed, but commitments such as this one shows how far we have come in terms of recruiting in such a short time.  

Great to see that Lane and the staff continue to go after the "current day" style quarterbacks, where playmaking ability is more valuable then size.  Dual threat quarterbacks give the opposing team another thing to gameplan for, and helps to keep them off balance.

Back to the top

Want your input OC. My northern friends are saying that Romphf will be moved to slot receiver . But he is a top duel threat qb. Ideas?
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Want your input OC. My northern friends are saying that Romphf will be moved to slot receiver. But he is a top duel threat qb. Ideas?
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 1:40 PM #386777

I think some of that is he is smaller and really athletic, so some of the big 10 schools saw him as more of an "athlete.'' He is not a great fit for a pro style Michigan State or Michigan offense.

Some of it as that is a local highly rated player chose FAU and they racializing it as fans.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Local Owl said

Want your input OC. My northern friends are saying that Romphf will be moved to slot receiver. But he is a top duel threat qb. Ideas?
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 1:40 PM #386777

I think some of that is he is smaller and really athletic, so some of the big 10 schools saw him as more of an "athlete.'' He is not a great fit for a pro style Michigan State or Michigan offense.

Some of it as that is a local highly rated player chose FAU and they racializing it as fans.

Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 4:01 PM #386778

It's possible the other schools only wanted him at slot for those reasons.

Remember this: Mack Brown offered Manziel & RG3 as defensive backs only, with no opportunity to even try to be QBs… they turned out to be pretty good college QBs if I may say.

Not saying this kid will turn into that, but it does not hurt us at all to let the kid play QB for a year and if he is good then let him stick there, if he is bad then ask him to switch positions. No brainer for us.

HUGE get either way.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

This is just more proof of where we’re going as a University. I truly believe that the only thing keeping us from being national title contenders is moving up conferences. Never forget that Schnellenberger Stadium when it was built has an option to expand to 60,000 seats with an upper deck. It may seem far fetched but it would certainly make it the best on campus stadium you could imagine. If we were in a P5 conference we’d be national title contenders 
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 9:57 AM #386774

Love the enthusiasm, but the truth is there is no path for FAU to a bigger conference anytime soon.

We have reached a point in college football where if you are not already in the boys club do not expect to be invited.

As I have pointed out many times on this forum when UCF was skipped over by the Big 12 it showed that the blue bloods of college football do not want up and comers to share any of the oversize money pie they enjoy every year.

There is no "P5" conference looking at FAU's 15k a game and 35 million dollars athletic budget saying "lets cut them in on the TV money because we think they have potential"
Back to the top
Control functions: