Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Student Loans, Who Pays, and Forgiveness (best i could title it)

Add topic

If tuition debt is forgiven, I want reparations.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Local Owl said

I paid for my kids with masters.  I took loans and paid them back. Everyone is responsible for their own bill. Economics 101. The GI bill is for those that served. Thanks  for your service.
Posted On: Jun 14th 2019, 9:22 PM #386806

You mean I can’t borrow the money, spend it then complain it wasn’t fair?
Posted On: Jun 14th 2019, 9:30 PM #386807

Yea, but the cost of college doesn't reflect what most kids are getting paid out of school.

Public college tuition has risen around 175 percent since 1990 while average starting wages have risen about 10 percent after it's adjusted for inflation.

The boomer generation who is in upper management, running companies, etc. basically made it a requirement to go to college to get most jobs now you want to say we can't complain about that cost?  I am sure you would have been ok with your kid's teacher starting right out of high school right?

As for bailout, I am all for it because if banks can get bailed out students can. Many student loans are predatory and even with good credit many of the loans you can not refinance the 6-8 percent interest many of the government ones offer.

I paid off my loans, but understand that bailing out the much of the student loan debt would great for the economy as you would see many young people start to buy houses, cars and have families.     

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Art Vandelay said

To be fair, arguing that it isn't fair before she is elected is what will get her elected. Chickens and eggs.
Posted On: Jun 14th 2019, 9:55 PM #386809
Zero chance 
Posted On: Jun 14th 2019, 10:03 PM #386811

Yea, all kids today just need to shut up, avoid service with bone spurs, and get a million dollar loan from daddy.

To bring this back to college football a bit.

I wonder what is going to happen when schools are depending on my generation for donations and support.  If you fishing paying loans at 38 and the school calls you and asks for money for athletics, many will feel they have paid enough to schools.

The state of Virginia recently made it where no student fees could go towards athletics in step to curb the cost of tuition.   
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

dusky256fc said

Local Owl said

I paid for my kids with masters.  I took loans and paid them back. Everyone is responsible for their own bill. Economics 101. The GI bill is for those that served. Thanks  for your service.

Yea, but the cost of college doesn't reflect what most kids are getting paid out of school.

Public college tuition has risen around 175 percent since 1990 while average starting wages have risen about 10 percent after it's adjusted for inflation.

The boomer generation who is in upper management, running companies, etc. basically made it a requirement to go to college to get most jobs now you want to say we can't complain about that cost?  I am sure you would have been ok with your kid's teacher starting right out of high school right?

As for bailout, I am all for it because if banks can get bailed out students can. Many student loans are predatory and even with good credit many of the loans you can not refinance the 6-8 percent interest many of the government ones offer.

I paid off my loans, but understand that bailing out the much of the student loan debt would great for the economy as you would see many young people start to buy houses, cars and have families.     

Posted On: Jun 15th 2019, 2:30 PM #386814

As a fellow millennial, I agree with much of the above BUT, we have to realistic about looking to government to be our saving grace. However, I believe Maine (could be Vermont) is enacting a program in which of you work for the state gov, they pay your college loans for you because not many young people are sticking around in areas with no urban center. Thought that was an interesting policy approach. If I didn’t hate the cold so much and taking another bar exam, maybe I’d consider going up there
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Local Owl said

It’s hilarious how you want to blame an entire generation for your generations problems but when anyone blames your generation as a whole you scream foul, your typical hypocrisy.  FYI I don’t believe a large percentage of college students should be in school, ever hear of the trades?  They can make a lot of money and we have a shortage.  It’s the students decision due to the easy access to loans (which is a problem) that made everyone think the should go to college.  We currently have record low unemployment, quite bitching and go get a job and pay off the loans over time like I and most in my generation did.

FYI, my wife is a teacher and we paid off her loans over time and she enjoys her job very much. Another FYI, I’m not a baby boomer either.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Wow - talk about a thread being completely taken off course; hopefully it can get back to football. With that said, I attended FAU and law school afterwards primarily because of scholarships I received from both institutions -- frankly I was accepted to other schools that may have been ranked higher, but I looked at it from an economic standpoint as well. There is enough information for students out there to make informed decisions about the schools they attend and the debt they will incur coming out of school, and weigh options accordingly imho.
Back to the top

Is it crazy of me to only want to pay for my children?  Welcome to the usa 2019. Your bad decisions  are not my responsibility.  I like you, but not that much.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Is it crazy of me to only want to pay for my children?  Welcome to the usa 2019. Your bad decisions are not my responsibility.  I like you, but not that much.
Posted On: Jun 15th 2019, 9:49 PM #386822

Bad decisions?  People wanting to get educated?

By the amount of debt, students have collected over the last 20 years, you have not really paid for anyone.

Man I wish people complained like this when we pay for corporations tax breaks and they just use on stock buybacks and people like me this past year get way less writes offs.
Back to the top

Boomers love to crap on the millennial student loan problem and say the gov shouldn’t bail student debtors out. But God forbid you threaten a Boomer’s Social Security paycheck……
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

dusky256fc said

Local Owl said

It’s hilarious how you want to blame an entire generation for your generations problems but when anyone blames your generation as a whole you scream foul, your typical hypocrisy.  FYI I don’t believe a large percentage of college students should be in school, ever hear of the trades?  They can make a lot of money and we have a shortage.  It’s the students decision due to the easy access to loans (which is a problem) that made everyone think the should go to college.  We currently have record low unemployment, quite bitching and go get a job and pay off the loans over time like I and most in my generation did.

FYI, my wife is a teacher and we paid off her loans over time and she enjoys her job very much. Another FYI, I’m not a baby boomer either.

Posted On: Jun 15th 2019, 4:58 PM #386817

Hypocrisy how? Pointing out a flaw in the system that was created?

You talk about sending more people to trade schools which I agree with and think we are heading this way as last year was the first year in around 60 years college admissions saw a drop in applications.

For my whole life in school growing up, I like many was told the end goal was college over and over again and no one tells you the other options.

You pound the unemployment, but in a recent study found 78 percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. The whole "quit bitching and get to work'' is weak when wages do not increase at the same rate as the cost of school.

My father worked a trade job for a large corporation and was offered endless overtime when he started and is now retired with a full pension. If I started that job now I would not be offered a pension and I would maybe get a few hours of overtime year.

Back to the top
Control functions: