Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

I'd like to think we'd be an attractive place for WR's in the portal. I just don't get it. Maybe we're being pegged as a running team. Whatever the reason is, we haven't even gotten anyone with any potential. That's disappointing. The receiver situation is an issue. There's only so much Harrison Bryant can do. Are receiver situation is as bad as anywhere in the country.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I'd like to think we'd be an attractive place for WR's in the portal. I just don't get it. Maybe we're being pegged as a running team. Whatever the reason is, we haven't even gotten anyone with any potential. That's disappointing. The receiver situation is an issue. There's only so much Harrison Bryant can do. Are receiver situation is as bad as anywhere in the country.
Posted On: Jun 24th 2019, 10:40 PM #386934

On paper it certainly doesn't look strong, but I am willing to bet one or two guys have a chance to emerge, and Willie might get back to form.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jun 24th 2019, 10:40 PM #386934

I mean, until a few days ago, we very publicly had no idea who was our starting QB. And we arguably still don't… In the shoes of a grad-transfer, with one last shot, that'd matter to me.

Maybe we're know as a running-team. We had one receiver with OK yards declare last year, and he's pumping gas at the Shell (or, I don't know, is he in Canada? or whatever? it's a metaphor, so please no one take that personally). That can't help.

Back to the top

I'd pump gas. I'd pump gas in Canada. At least I'd have dental.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

I'd pump gas. I'd pump gas in Canada. At least I'd have dental.
Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 3:05 AM #386937

Good one Art, pretty funny, made my morning so far!
Back to the top

There is not much left in the portal right now. You get a wave of kids right after the season and another right after spring.

If Pico and Mitchell stay healthy(big if) they are good enough to win n C-USA
Back to the top

I’ll be watching Eyan Cole and I guess there’s a guy or two that just arrived that are listed as athletes that may play wr. I have to admit I’m a little worried Wynn for 20. We’ve had so many receivers have issues. Something tells me we’re going to make a big splash with WR next offseason. It will certainly be the time with Bryant gone 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I’ll be watching Eyan Cole and I guess there’s a guy or two that just arrived that are listed as athletes that may play wr. I have to admit I’m a little worried Wynn for 20. We’ve had so many receivers have issues. Something tells me we’re going to make a big splash with WR next offseason. It will certainly be the time with Bryant gone 
Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 10:10 AM #386944

Deante Nelson is listed as an ATH but every indication I’ve gotten is he’ll play WR. So we will see…

You need to add a couple solid outside bodies if you can next year. Pico is gone after this year and John Mitchell will be a R-Sr.

Then again, you might get a sudden jolt this year with the portal and the grad transfer market. A in early August who can play outside and has a year left might come to FAU thinking it’s a good spot. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Also gonna add getting talented WRs on campus hasn’t been the problem, it’s the success rate of guys acquired under Kiffin. DeAndre McNeal was lost in the shuffle midway through ‘17 and was an afterthought last year (and he was great in practices for months leading up to Oklahoma). Kyle Davis couldn’t keep his grades up so he left for Canada. Adrian Bryant and Nero Nelson came here then left before playing a game. DeSean Holmes lasted a year and six catches. 

Obviously FAU hit on Durante, even if there were some drops. Willie had a great freshman year. Jordan Merrell had a good spring camp but not sure how much he’ll play during the year. 

Back to the top

JakeElman said

I expected him to be here before fall camp starts early August, I still do. Joe Lewis is TBD on when he will be here but he is still planning on coming; his absence is for personal reasons, I’ll leave it at that…Taz Nicholson was waiting on transcripts/academics last I spoke to him…Jeremiah Ashe will be here I think early July, he was finishing a class. 

If my math is right (big IF) 11 of the players who signed either on NSD or ESP are part of this 19. Add in the six scholarship guys from last month (not counting Calvin Ashley) and Toombs/Howard who arrived early and you’re at 19. Which is fine? FAU also lost Bryant and Epson to the portal.

TL;DR: You got a good amount of guys who I think can make impacts this year - Dean, McCammon, Deante Nelson. We need to see what happens with Cook and Nicholson. 
Posted On: Jun 24th 2019, 8:23 PM #386928

One last post from me for now. Caliph Brice. So you’re at 20 as of now not counting Bryant and Epson. 21 if you want to count Calvin Ashley because he’s expected to get a waiver and play immediately. 

Back to the top
Control functions: