Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

Let concentrate on dominating  C-USA  . After a few years of that, we can talk about moving up. Imo…football  is on course for moving up. But baseball and basketball have a long way to go before we can be looked at.
Back to the top

If we had facilities baseball could jump past the AAC no problem…get ER dun. 
Back to the top

Rick said

If we had facilities baseball could jump past the AAC no problem…get ER dun. 
Posted On: Jun 27th 2019, 3:21 PM #386977

The very moment the indoor practice field (football) is complete, construction should break ground on the other side of campus. And we should build with the intent of holding regionals (if you build it, they will come).

And to clarify, I absolutely want FAU to throw our hat in the ring for the AAC opening. I don't think it's the right time. I don't think it's the right fit. But there's money there (for us).
Back to the top

well we could always pool our money together next time there is a big lotto jackpot, and donate a portion of the winnings to get baseball their dream facility. lol.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

well we could always pool our money together next time there is a big lotto jackpot, and donate a portion of the winnings to get baseball their dream facility. lol.
Posted On: Jun 27th 2019, 3:57 PM #386979

I've got a ticket in my wallet now…paypal me your nickles and dimes for a share.
Back to the top

To see how big FAU’s media market we have to realize it’s a really big area. Our great AD constantly mentions becoming Palm Beach County’s team. So I think our area is a lot bigger than the list would suggest. This is where a big win over USF and ucf could come into the equation. Our territory is all of PBC, parts of north Broward and that includes Glades and Pahookie and a couple hours north of FAU. No college anywhere close to FAU has an on campus stadium, if you don’t want to go to Latin America 
Back to the top

Based on this article, UCONN is out and no football only schools will be considered;

Aresco says no chance of UConn staying as football member

Also, NE teams have no advantage

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Based on this article, UCONN is out and no football only schools will be considered;

Aresco says no chance of UConn staying as football member

Also, NE teams have no advantage

Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 3:49 PM #386995

Take this from a New Yorker…your one true advantage in football is cold weather when facing southern teams - unless you play in the Carrier Dome. 

Your recruiting areas aren’t *great*, which provides even more incentive to stretch down south and focus on out of state. At least before you could sell great Florida and Texas kids on playing in the AAC for football. Now they’re probably going to be an independent indefinitely, which is a road to nowhere. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

To see how big FAU’s media market we have to realize it’s a really big area. Our great AD constantly mentions becoming Palm Beach County’s team. So I think our area is a lot bigger than the list would suggest. This is where a big win over USF and ucf could come into the equation. Our territory is all of PBC, parts of north Broward and that includes Glades and Pahookie and a couple hours north of FAU. No college anywhere close to FAU has an on campus stadium, if you don’t want to go to Latin America 
Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 9:40 AM #386991

Like I am sure a fair number of FAU fans do, this FIU fan occasionally keeps tabs on what our neighbors to the north are up to.  I found this, and few other comments by you interesting.

On more than one occasion you’ve referred to FIU as the “Universidad,” you’ve called the area around the university a dump, questioned why anyone would move to Miami; and then referred to Miami as “Latin America, as if that is an insult.

At the same time you’ve touted FAU for its diversity, Boca for its location and wealth.

Let’s touch on a few of these things.

One, university surroundings.  Yeah, Sweetwater is not your typical college town, but then neither is the area around USF.  The area around UCF ten years ago was also a dump. However, a rush of student-centric development rapidly changed the demography of the surrounding area.

Today over 2,000 beds are going up in Sweetwater for students, with more student housing coming.  In fact, I spoke with an urban planner on Wednesday who told me he has never seen so much privately funded student housing go up so quickly as he has at FIU, which indicates pent up demand and an underserved market.

Two, you bring up diversity whilst simultaneously knocking FIU’s large Lat Am population.  I don’t know if you know this, but from a diversity standpoint this makes FIU one of the most culturally diverse institutions in the country, that is unless you think Cubans and Chileans are the same thing.

Three, Latin America.  Yes, the city of Miami is the financial and cultural capital of Latin America. That means that multiple major corporations have their Lat Am HQs in Miami.  Multiple major Lat Am corporations have their North American HQs in Miami.

It also means we have a large television, music, and arts scene that is of hemispheric importance.

It is because of our deep connection to Latin America that I was lucky enough to work for a Wall Street firm, and then actually move to a better job with a Sanhattan (look it up) based global financial institution who’s North American HQ is right here in Miami.

Finally, wealth.  You’ve brought up all the rich people in Boca.  I got bad news for you, Boca ain’t Palm Beach, and Palm Beach isn’t the Mecca for money it once was.  That title now belongs to the coastal communities of Miami.

The median household income of Fisher Island, Golden Beach, Indian Creek, and Key Biscayne are all greater than Boca; and those are just the coastal communities, Pinecrest and Miami Shores are higher too.

The flood of Northeasterners to Florida has been most acutely felt in Dade, where the bottom 90% of Miami Beach homes now sell for $1.65 million, and the top 10% average over $10 million.  Where hedgies buy condos for anywhere from $5 million to $70 million.

And do you know why they come to Miami?  Because we are global, because we are a little gritty and edgy, because we ain’t vanilla.

As for the AAC, it is a crap shoot for all of us.
Back to the top

I don’t see us moving up anytime soon despite the new football facility. We can’t fill our stadium except for when schools like the U or UCF comes to town. Our baseball stadium is a glorified high school field where neither team has a locker room facilities. Our swimming facilities are exposed to the elements. The good news on the academic slash campus side is a brand new dorm is going up and the campus wants to hire more professors and renovate buildings in the future. 

If any team from the conference or sunbelt goes it may be Georgia Southern. 
Back to the top
Control functions: