Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

JulesFIU07 said

jgf2017 said

To see how big FAU’s media market we have to realize it’s a really big area. Our great AD constantly mentions becoming Palm Beach County’s team. So I think our area is a lot bigger than the list would suggest. This is where a big win over USF and ucf could come into the equation. Our territory is all of PBC, parts of north Broward and that includes Glades and Pahookie and a couple hours north of FAU. No college anywhere close to FAU has an on campus stadium, if you don’t want to go to Latin America 
Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 9:40 AM #386991

Like I am sure a fair number of FAU fans do, this FIU fan occasionally keeps tabs on what our neighbors to the north are up to.  I found this, and few other comments by you interesting.

On more than one occasion you’ve referred to FIU as the “Universidad,” you’ve called the area around the university a dump, questioned why anyone would move to Miami; and then referred to Miami as “Latin America, as if that is an insult.

At the same time you’ve touted FAU for its diversity, Boca for its location and wealth.

Let’s touch on a few of these things.

One, university surroundings.  Yeah, Sweetwater is not your typical college town, but then neither is the area around USF.  The area around UCF ten years ago was also a dump. However, a rush of student-centric development rapidly changed the demography of the surrounding area.

Today over 2,000 beds are going up in Sweetwater for students, with more student housing coming.  In fact, I spoke with an urban planner on Wednesday who told me he has never seen so much privately funded student housing go up so quickly as he has at FIU, which indicates pent up demand and an underserved market.

Two, you bring up diversity whilst simultaneously knocking FIU’s large Lat Am population.  I don’t know if you know this, but from a diversity standpoint this makes FIU one of the most culturally diverse institutions in the country, that is unless you think Cubans and Chileans are the same thing.

Three, Latin America.  Yes, the city of Miami is the financial and cultural capital of Latin America. That means that multiple major corporations have their Lat Am HQs in Miami.  Multiple major Lat Am corporations have their North American HQs in Miami.

It also means we have a large television, music, and arts scene that is of hemispheric importance.

It is because of our deep connection to Latin America that I was lucky enough to work for a Wall Street firm, and then actually move to a better job with a Sanhattan (look it up) based global financial institution who’s North American HQ is right here in Miami.

Finally, wealth.  You’ve brought up all the rich people in Boca.  I got bad news for you, Boca ain’t Palm Beach, and Palm Beach isn’t the Mecca for money it once was.  That title now belongs to the coastal communities of Miami.

The median household income of Fisher Island, Golden Beach, Indian Creek, and Key Biscayne are all greater than Boca; and those are just the coastal communities, Pinecrest and Miami Shores are higher too.

The flood of Northeasterners to Florida has been most acutely felt in Dade, where the bottom 90% of Miami Beach homes now sell for $1.65 million, and the top 10% average over $10 million.  Where hedgies buy condos for anywhere from $5 million to $70 million.

And do you know why they come to Miami?  Because we are global, because we are a little gritty and edgy, because we ain’t vanilla.

As for the AAC, it is a crap shoot for all of us.
Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 10:13 PM #386998

You're absolutely right to call out that hypocrisy (and I wish you didn't have to).

This is of a comically lesser scale…

FIU (at the time of this post or 11PM) is 18 minutes from Pinecrest, 25 minutes to Miami Shores, 31 to Key Biscayne, 40 to Golden Beach, 41 to Indian Creek and 51 minutes from Fisher Island.

I'm glad to see you on the board. What's the word down south on AAC rumors, hopes and dreams?

Back to the top

You’re honestly telling me that the area around FIU is a more desirable place to live than Boca, or Delray or Palm Beach Gardens? It’s much nicer where I am and I’d never in a million years want to switch places. You can’t actually be serious? Since you know everything you must also know about all of the upper middle class people in the last 25 years who’ve either moved to Broward or palm beach or if they stay, only in wealthy isolated communities in dade. I hope you believe me
That id rather live in PBG than where FIU is. In fact, it was you who already made my point by talking about the wealth in those exclusive Miami communities. This can’t possibly be a topic of conversation. Trust me I’m not the person to be debating about Miami and its history. I could give links to numerous articles regarding this crisis in Miami but look it up for yourself 
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

JulesFIU07 said

jgf2017 said

To see how big FAU’s media market we have to realize it’s a really big area. Our great AD constantly mentions becoming Palm Beach County’s team. So I think our area is a lot bigger than the list would suggest. This is where a big win over USF and ucf could come into the equation. Our territory is all of PBC, parts of north Broward and that includes Glades and Pahookie and a couple hours north of FAU. No college anywhere close to FAU has an on campus stadium, if you don’t want to go to Latin America 

Like I am sure a fair number of FAU fans do, this FIU fan occasionally keeps tabs on what our neighbors to the north are up to.  I found this, and few other comments by you interesting.

On more than one occasion you’ve referred to FIU as the “Universidad,” you’ve called the area around the university a dump, questioned why anyone would move to Miami; and then referred to Miami as “Latin America, as if that is an insult.

At the same time you’ve touted FAU for its diversity, Boca for its location and wealth.

One, university surroundings.  Yeah, Sweetwater is not your typical college town, but then neither is the area around USF.  The area around UCF ten years ago was also a dump. However, a rush of student-centric development rapidly changed the demography of the surrounding area.

Today over 2,000 beds are going up in Sweetwater for students, with more student housing coming.  In fact, I spoke with an urban planner on Wednesday who told me he has never seen so much privately funded student housing go up so quickly as he has at FIU, which indicates pent up demand and an underserved market.

Two, you bring up diversity whilst simultaneously knocking FIU’s large Lat Am population.  I don’t know if you know this, but from a diversity standpoint this makes FIU one of the most culturally diverse institutions in the country, that is unless you think Cubans and Chileans are the same thing.

Three, Latin America.  Yes, the city of Miami is the financial and cultural capital of Latin America. That means that multiple major corporations have their Lat Am HQs in Miami.  Multiple major Lat Am corporations have their North American HQs in Miami.

It also means we have a large television, music, and arts scene that is of hemispheric importance.

It is because of our deep connection to Latin America that I was lucky enough to work for a Wall Street firm, and then actually move to a better job with a Sanhattan (look it up) based global financial institution who’s North American HQ is right here in Miami.

Finally, wealth.  You’ve brought up all the rich people in Boca.  I got bad news for you, Boca ain’t Palm Beach, and Palm Beach isn’t the Mecca for money it once was.  That title now belongs to the coastal communities of Miami.

The median household income of Fisher Island, Golden Beach, Indian Creek, and Key Biscayne are all greater than Boca; and those are just the coastal communities, Pinecrest and Miami Shores are higher too.

The flood of Northeasterners to Florida has been most acutely felt in Dade, where the bottom 90% of Miami Beach homes now sell for $1.65 million, and the top 10% average over $10 million.  Where hedgies buy condos for anywhere from $5 million to $70 million.

And do you know why they come to Miami?  Because we are global, because we are a little gritty and edgy, because we ain’t vanilla.

You're absolutely right to call out that hypocrisy (and I wish you didn't have to).

FIU (at the time of this post or 11PM) is 18 minutes from Pinecrest, 25 minutes to Miami Shores, 31 to Key Biscayne, 40 to Golden Beach, 41 to Indian Creek and 51 minutes from Fisher Island.

I'm glad to see you on the board. What's the word down south on AAC rumors, hopes and dreams?

Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 11:10 PM #387000

Several things.

One, the drive times don’t matter much.  If you elect to live in a large city it is just a fact of life.  For example, UCF is 30-45 minutes from downtown Orlando, but the students from there still make the drive to hang out in that area’s bars.  Ditto for USF and South Howard, where the bars are clustered there is a good 30-40 minute drive on a Friday or Saturday night.

Using current drive times, the distance from FIU’s main campus to Wynwood, is 25 minutes, the same as current drive times from USF to South Howard or UCF to Downtown.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe Boca has any top of analog for Wynwood, Brickell, or Downtown Miami?

Two, having said that a bit of a commute is just a fact of urban life, it is also worth pointing out that it is very rare for a large public university to be located in an area with the highest real estate values and most affluent residents.  ASU is in Tempe, not Scottsdale, FAU isn’t in the nicest part of Boca, UCF isn’t in Winter Park, USF isn’t in South Tampa; so it stands to reason that FIU wouldn’t be in their Miami analogs either.

For what is worth, even UM is somehow located next to the only public housing in Coral Gables.

Finally, AAC.  I think we are realistic.

Some things work for us.  Academically we match up well with AAC schools save for SMU and Tulane.  We have 60,000 students, 230,000 or so alumni; of which a large number live in Dade and Broward counties.  I think we have 45,000 in Broward and 170,000 in Dade.  So a large potential fan base.

We are located in one of only two major SE media markets the AAC doesn’t touch.  We are also down the street from an ACC school, which might help with the whole P6 angle the AAC is taking.

We have good training facilities, and have seen success recently in football and basketball; with Butch and Ballard bringing in talent that is now comparable to AAC schools.

All those positives being said, we suffer from the same problems you all do.  Generally apathetic potential fan base, success has only been recent, facilities that need improvement; and two schools that may not want us to move up.

I think if we really want to move into the AAC we have to do what your athletic department did, incur $80+ million in debt and get sizable direct institutional support, at least in the near term, to finish, upgrade, or build new facilities.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You’re honestly telling me that the area around FIU is a more desirable place to live than Boca, or Delray or Palm Beach Gardens? It’s much nicer where I am and I’d never in a million years want to switch places. You can’t actually be serious? Since you know everything you must also know about all of the upper middle class people in the last 25 years who’ve either moved to Broward or palm beach or if they stay, only in wealthy isolated communities in dade. I hope you believe me
That id rather live in PBG than where FIU is. In fact, it was you who already made my point by talking about the wealth in those exclusive Miami communities. This can’t possibly be a topic of conversation. Trust me I’m not the person to be debating about Miami and its history. I could give links to numerous articles regarding this crisis in Miami but look it up for yourself 
Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 11:49 PM #387001

Well for starters, I would that an adult doesn’t live in a student housing area.  It is a really bad look past 30.

As for people moving.  The biggest group of people that have moved to Palm Beach County are from Broward County, the biggest group of people that have moved to Broward County are from Dade County, and the biggest group of people that have moved to Dade County are from New York City.

These are people like Barry Sternlicht, who has moved the HQ of Starwood Capital to Miami Beach.  People like Richard LeFrak, the second largest developer in NY after Stephen Ross; you might have heard of Steve.

Dade County simply has multiple communities that are the highest earning in the state, continues to attract massive inflows of well-paid professionals and wealthy new residents.  There is a reason why Goldman Sachs has its Florida wealth management HQ in Miami.

You may dislike Dade County, perhaps you are a victim of economic dislocation, you simply could not afford the house you wanted in the neighborhood you wanted in Miami?

That, more than anything, is the biggest reason for South Florida’s recent population pump north.
Back to the top

Also, for what is worth, Palm Beach Gardens is 40 minutes from FAU...
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

Also, for what is worth, Palm Beach Gardens is 40 minutes from FAU…
Posted On: Jun 29th 2019, 7:36 AM #387004

45 give or take. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

Also, for what is worth, Palm Beach Gardens is 40 minutes from FAU…
Posted On: Jun 29th 2019, 7:36 AM #387004

45 give or take. 
Posted On: Jun 29th 2019, 9:16 AM #387005

Exactly, and literally every major metro area has some very high earning bedroom communities on the outskirts of the urban core, with the major cities being a mix of higher and lower income neighborhoods.

So in, for example, Miami proper has Bay Point, Buena Vista East, Edgewater, Morningside, Belle Meade, The Roads, Coconut Grove, and South Brickell as areas that are upper middle income to wealthy.

You see the same in Fort Lauderdale, and even on a smaller scale in smaller cities like Delray.
Back to the top

You neglected to address the issue I raised. The issue was that the gulf between rich and poor in Miami is worst in the country. The traffic, on roads that weren’t meant for mass transit, is also the worst in the country. When you talk about all the ultra rich people in Miami, you’re proving my point. Did you read my entire post? I’m not going to go into personal details but let’s just say my family, and just about every upper middle class family, couldn’t get out of there fast enough. 
Now you’re talking in great detail about FIU’s qualifications for the AAC without taking into account that this isn’t an FIU message board and you’re really just trying to let everyone know how important you are. At least you could’ve read my entire message. It’s one thing to bring up “controversial” comments about Latin America. It’s amother to hijack this thread with ridiculous information about a school that you should be saying this about on your own message board, which I haven’t been on and don’t plan on it. I wouldn’t even move back if I could get a house half off. Why did you deem it prudent to completely ignore the point I made?
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

Art Vandelay said

JulesFIU07 said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Jun 28th 2019, 11:10 PM #387000

Several things.

One, the drive times don’t matter much.  If you elect to live in a large city it is just a fact of life.  For example, UCF is 30-45 minutes from downtown Orlando, but the students from there still make the drive to hang out in that area’s bars.  Ditto for USF and South Howard, where the bars are clustered there is a good 30-40 minute drive on a Friday or Saturday night.

Using current drive times, the distance from FIU’s main campus to Wynwood, is 25 minutes, the same as current drive times from USF to South Howard or UCF to Downtown.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe Boca has any top of analog for Wynwood, Brickell, or Downtown Miami?

Two, having said that a bit of a commute is just a fact of urban life, it is also worth pointing out that it is very rare for a large public university to be located in an area with the highest real estate values and most affluent residents.  ASU is in Tempe, not Scottsdale, FAU isn’t in the nicest part of Boca, UCF isn’t in Winter Park, USF isn’t in South Tampa; so it stands to reason that FIU wouldn’t be in their Miami analogs either.

For what is worth, even UM is somehow located next to the only public housing in Coral Gables.

Finally, AAC.  I think we are realistic.

Some things work for us.  Academically we match up well with AAC schools save for SMU and Tulane.  We have 60,000 students, 230,000 or so alumni; of which a large number live in Dade and Broward counties.  I think we have 45,000 in Broward and 170,000 in Dade.  So a large potential fan base.

We are located in one of only two major SE media markets the AAC doesn’t touch.  We are also down the street from an ACC school, which might help with the whole P6 angle the AAC is taking.

We have good training facilities, and have seen success recently in football and basketball; with Butch and Ballard bringing in talent that is now comparable to AAC schools.

All those positives being said, we suffer from the same problems you all do.  Generally apathetic potential fan base, success has only been recent, facilities that need improvement; and two schools that may not want us to move up.

I think if we really want to move into the AAC we have to do what your athletic department did, incur $80+ million in debt and get sizable direct institutional support, at least in the near term, to finish, upgrade, or build new facilities.
Posted On: Jun 29th 2019, 7:12 AM #387002

I was being (at least I thought I was) a bit tongue and cheek. I only gave the drive-times for the cities (parts of town?) that you mentioned. And I'm not entirely sure those are where the FIU fan-base lives…

It's the thing-in-itself. Oviedo isn't Orlando. Temple Terrace isn't Tampa. Sweetwater might be in the "Great Miami Area" but here, Miami isn't Miami. We're guilty too . I don't know who brought up Palm Beach?! It's talking about the city but living in Hoboken.

Boca's got some stuff too (Delray and Deerfield Beaches, our own beach is 1.8 miles away… And, in fifty minutes, we can be in downtown Miami on the weekends too)

Anyway. It sounds like everyone in CUSA is selling themselves the idea of the AAC for all the same reasons.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You neglected to address the issue I raised. The issue was that the gulf between rich and poor in Miami is worst in the country. The traffic, on roads that weren’t meant for mass transit, is also the worst in the country. When you talk about all the ultra rich people in Miami, you’re proving my point. Did you read my entire post? I’m not going to go into personal details but let’s just say my family, and just about every upper middle class family, couldn’t get out of there fast enough. 
Now you’re talking in great detail about FIU’s qualifications for the AAC without taking into account that this isn’t an FIU message board and you’re really just trying to let everyone know how important you are. At least you could’ve read my entire message. It’s one thing to bring up “controversial” comments about Latin America. It’s amother to hijack this thread with ridiculous information about a school that you should be saying this about on your own message board, which I haven’t been on and don’t plan on it. I wouldn’t even move back if I could get a house half off. Why did you deem it prudent to completely ignore the point I made?
Posted On: Jun 29th 2019, 10:13 AM #387008

I asked what their thoughts were on FIU in the AAC. I didn't mean to start anything or, I don't know, over-step some, you know, whatever. I was curious, and we'll call this one, "My bad."
Back to the top
Control functions: