Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Naming the Stadium

Add topic

I know its the Fourth of July, and generally I dont do stuff like this, but this popped into my head. It looks like we wont be receiving a naming rights sponsor anytime in the near future, so instead of calling it FAU Stadium, I was thinking maybe the adminstration and the athletics department can hark back to the day when FAU was a Army Airfield during World War 2 until we can get a naming rights sponsor. We can call it Boca Raton Army Airfield Stadium at Howard Schnellenberger Field. Just my thoughts. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I know its the Fourth of July, and generally I dont do stuff like this, but this popped into my head. It looks like we wont be receiving a naming rights sponsor anytime in the near future, so instead of calling it FAU Stadium, I was thinking maybe the adminstration and the athletics department can hark back to the day when FAU was a Army Airfield during World War 2 until we can get a naming rights sponsor. We can call it Boca Raton Army Airfield Stadium at Howard Schnellenberger Field. Just my thoughts. 
Posted On: Jul 4th 2019, 1:36 PM #387122

I like it myself!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

USMCOWL said

I like it myself!!!
Posted On: Jul 4th 2019, 2:16 PM #387123

I think that’s a pretty awesome idea!!
Back to the top

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

USMCOWL said

I like it myself!!!
Posted On: Jul 4th 2019, 2:16 PM #387123

I think that’s a pretty awesome idea!!
Posted On: Jul 5th 2019, 11:36 AM #387126

Just to play devil's advocate. There is no point in creating a temporary name while no one is paying.

You call it Army Airfield for a few years then so and so comes along and offers naming rights now you gotta change the name and possibly upset some people.

I saw a study that shows that 75 percent of naming right's of campus stadiums were named by a company where the founder or CEO went to the university or the corporation was within 100 miles of the school.

If someone wants to call it Army Air Feild stadium they will have to pay for it.  
Back to the top

Well how about Office Depot Stadium??
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Well how about Office Depot Stadium??
Posted On: Jul 7th 2019, 8:42 AM #387132

If WE had not WAY overpriced the naming rights we could have taken in say $200K a year and have brought in what, going on $2M by now as opposed to ZERO!!!
Back to the top

I don't think office depot has the cash. They would want to out source the name  to India. The state  of Florida has limited corporations with the available cash.
Back to the top

I don't think it's as simple as saying "If we had charged a lower amount we could have been collecting x over the past few years".  Imagine being a season ticket, then they start selling better tickets for less than what you paid for season tickets, it's just bad business.
Back to the top

I will counter with this. The only reason you sell naming rights is free advertising for a business or a person wants to be remembered to help offset cost of the construction or renovations, but you don't have to sell naming rights to put a name on the stadium. For example, when Camp Randall was a civil war training ground, it was going to be turned into a lot with college buildings until people complained. So the University was granted the land, and in turn they build the facility there and called it camp randall as a homage to the area's history. Now we own the stadium and the state granted us the land. Until you can find someone to pony up the money to actually put their name on the stadium, let us hark back to the days when FAU played a vital role in biggest war known to man at that time. That was my point.
Back to the top

Depot is focused on trying to stay in business next year, they aren't focused on FAU Stadium. Same with ADT, it's great that they're so close, but when leadership transitioned, they brought in a group from Chicago to run the show, and no one has ties to FAU, they're also sinking.

Targets locally need to be cash rich or high growth organizations that might benefit from the write off… Ultimate Software, Chewy come to mind.

Shane is right though, there typically has to be some sort of emotional connection to the sponsorship because its virtually impossible to quantify the value of the naming.

GA Telesis could be one…Abdol is one of the best friends of the program, his company is growing and doing well. There's no value in him "advertising" to the general public but his love for the university could tip it.
Back to the top
Control functions: