Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

A dive into Glenn Spencer’s Defense

This guy Jefferson was being talked about in the article as being a possible nfl player. I think he’s awesome. Let’s hope he’ll be fine. I guess it’s probably good news nothing else further has come out about it and really hope he plays this season. 
The only explanation I can think of with so many kids having grade issues is maybe it’d bc we take on risky players. But there’s been so many I wonder if there’s something that can be done to help the situation. Either way it’s disappointing. Jefferson could be a huge piece this year
Back to the top

I read this one too. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to what I'm about to say but… I get a kick out of our quick references of publications where the author is a chatroom participant.

I'm an expert on teetering the line of academic failure (and collapsing below for that matter). My issues weren't institutional, faculty or book learn'n related. You never know.

A few days and we'll have a better picture…   
Back to the top

Local Owl said

if I meet you, I hope that I can buy you a beer , because we both support FAU sports .
Posted On: Jul 24th 2019, 4:06 PM #387310

Now I'd like to meet you.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

I get a kick out of our quick references of publications where the author is a chatroom participant.
Posted On: Jul 24th 2019, 5:28 PM #387314

Hey now, from now on, you can just think of me as any other person invested in FAU in our group — with a media credential. 🤣

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

Art Vandelay said

I get a kick out of our quick references of publications where the author is a chatroom participant.
Posted On: Jul 24th 2019, 5:28 PM #387314

Hey now, from now on, you can just think of me as any other person invested in FAU in our group — with a media credential. 🤣
Posted On: Jul 24th 2019, 10:37 PM #387316

I don't ever want to be associated with your lack of objectivity!
Back to the top

I took 4 years to do two back in the late 70's due to some REALLY BAD academic counseling. Nearly pulled an Animal House level GPA right off the bat, got place on academic probation which kept me in school but with harsh potential penalty of one more failing grade and out with academic probation for 6 months.

So between the 6 month probation and retaking classes to get my credits towards graduation it took me from '75-'79 at FAU to get my B.A. I worked all through CC and FAU too so not much time for play except for intramural football for me - we had no NCAA sports then anyhow! Hell, FAU was still mostly a weed filed with airplane runways in what was THEN West Boca area - there was nothing past 95!!!

I love that Marshall has for some time had some sort of academic support for their players , one reason they were able to recruit so well in S. FL and keep them on the field kicking our butts on the field and in recruiting. Can't wait for the new center to open and help more in that academic eligibility and graduation area for the players!
Back to the top

You know what I keep on thinking about that point about Marshall. Everyone knows they take kids who were on the borderline grades wise that I think the P5 schools don’t go after. And no one ever hears about Marshall having a problem getting them qualified.
This is a huge problem. There have been so many talented kids not qualify. Now we have to hope at least our great DT is fine grades wise and we’ve already lost so many promising players. It’s great hearing about these recruits we get that had P5 offers and came here. I’m starting to think it might be Bc of grades. Every time we sign a guy with P5 offers i worry he won’t qualify. 
I keep trying to figure out why so many kids don’t qualify. I thought maybe Bc were a really young football program. Maybe there aren’t enough tutors 
Tutors can be the difference between honor roll and flunking classes. I wonder if our wr went pro early Bc of grades
Back to the top

I'm have no knowledge on this, but if I were a gambling man,  I would say you are correct.  No other logical reason .
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You know what I keep on thinking about that point about Marshall. Everyone knows they take kids who were on the borderline grades wise that I think the P5 schools don’t go after. And no one ever hears about Marshall having a problem getting them qualified.
This is a huge problem. There have been so many talented kids not qualify. Now we have to hope at least our great DT is fine grades wise and we’ve already lost so many promising players. It’s great hearing about these recruits we get that had P5 offers and came here. I’m starting to think it might be Bc of grades. Every time we sign a guy with P5 offers i worry he won’t qualify. 
I keep trying to figure out why so many kids don’t qualify. I thought maybe Bc were a really young football program. Maybe there aren’t enough tutors 
Tutors can be the difference between honor roll and flunking classes. I wonder if our wr went pro early Bc of grades
Posted On: Jul 27th 2019, 5:10 PM #387334

Marshall has a program ( I do not know the exact details)that makes it really easy for kids to qualify.

FAU has not had an impactful player miss a game because of grades in two years under lane. Sitting a few guys in the spring is more of a "get it right now before it matters.''  This goes on at other schools all the time.

As for the class which had 33 players ''sign" they did not all sign.
As I have posted before we had about 10 players commit who did not sign an NLI and were "grade risks'' they are very talented players that some P5 programs did not want to take chances on. The staff figure if we got half of the ten in its 5 players we would not normally get. When the dust settles and the last couple of players come in January the class will be at 24, which is normal.

Players getting qualified out of high school has 0.0 to do with FAU. They can not be helped in any way and are not on campus.

When you run a program with 120 players, some guys will have grade issues even if you have a private tutor for every player.
Back to the top

Good points by all on this issue and Shane's explanations make sense as well. WE did have a HUGE signing class even though there is some sort of 25 limit I thought, I know Troy does this a lot and gray shirts or places them in JUCO programs hoping they will qualify and still come a year later.

Can't wait for the new Center to open to help in academic support as well as nutrition and strength training!
Back to the top
Control functions: