Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Traditions List

Good afternoon everyone!

As we get ready to cheer on our Owls this upcoming season, I wanted to talk about our traditions. Between the student body, alumni base, faculty and staff, and fan community, it seems like that not many people know the traditions that we have. Thus, I have decided, in collaboration with the Alumni Association and the PROWLERS, to work with the FAU community to generate a definitive traditions list for FAU football games. I want to share it with students, staff, alumni, and fans so that everyone know what some of the FAU football traditions are. I'll be meeting with some Athletics representatives next week to discuss the list,but I wanted some feedback from you all first. The list is posted below, with some additional traditions that the Prowlers are looking to implement this year. Please let me know your thoughts and if anything show be added or taken away. Please note that this is a generalized list, and it doesn't include every tradition.

Pregame Traditions
  • Beat Bash- Taking place the week of each home football game, these are mini pep rallies hosted by the Student Alumni Association PROWLERS to hype up students and get them excited about the upcoming game.
  • Owl Walk- Taking place in Lot 5 two hours before each game, this is when the football team enters the football field to the cheers of hundreds of students and fans. This event features the Marching Owls, FAU Cheer and Dance, the PROWLERS, and Owlsley.
  • “Meet Me at Lot 5” (AKA "The Rat's Mouth)- This is the student tailgating, taking place in Lot 5 behind FAU Stadium and beginning six hours prior to each home game.
  • “Tailgating in Paradise”- This is the official tailgating party for FAU Alumni, hosted by the FAU Alumni Association. It takes place at the Marreen and Harold Forkas Alumni Center, and starts two hours before each home game. It also features a performance by the Marching Owls.
  • The Marching Owls Parade- Prior to each game, the Marching Owls have a mini-parade that starts two-and-a-half-hours prior to each game. They walk from the College of Medicine through the Lot 4 tailgates, down FAU Boulevard pass the visitor’s tailgates, and ends at Lot 5 for Owl Walk.
  • “Owl Rally”- This fan pep rally takes place outside of Gate 1 of FAU Stadium an hour and a half before each home game. It features the Marching Owls, FAU Cheer and Dance, and Owlsley.
 In-Game Traditions
  • The FAU Marching Owls Pregame Show- This show takes place twenty minutes prior to kickoff. It features the Marching Owls playing traditional FAU songs, such as the FAU Fight Song, “Fight to the Red and Blue,” and the Alma Mater March. It also features a performance of the National Anthem and the visiting team’s fight song.
  • Kickoff Chant: This chant is formed during the first kickoff and every kickoff of the game. The crowd starts by makes a lot of noise. When the ball is kicked, everyone yells “F! A! U!” and when it lands they yell “OWLS!”
  • Quiet on Offense, Loud on Defense- When FAU is on offense, everyone gets (relatively) quiet so the team can focus. When FAU is on defense, everyone yells and makes a lot of noise to distract the other team.
  • The Stomp-  When the head PROWLER waves their flag, everyone makes a lot of noise. When they lower it, everyone performs one collective stomp. This occurs a few times during the game.
  • All Out Third Down- When the stadium announcer says “FAU, it’s third down!” and the bells toll, everyone makes a lot of noise and get really loud to distract the other team.
  • Touchdowns in Paradise- When FAU scores a touchdown, everyone sings the FAU Fight Song, and, new for 2019,  the students section raises their TIFO banner. The FAU Fight Song lyrics are below:“We'll fight fight fight for F A U; There's foot-ball in pa-ra-dise! We'll fight fight fight for F A U; We know we're gonna win and it's feelin' mighty nice!Cheering our football team down the field and waving our colors too Hoot! Hoot! The fighting Owls are on the prowl Go F A U! Go Owls Go!Go Owls Go! Hit'em high, hit'em low, Go Owls Go! Hey!”
  • Chant Sheets- These are exclusively for the student section, and include chants and stats specifically for each home game.
  • Ringing of the Keys- When FAU is winning, everyone takes out their keys and rings them.
Post Game Traditions
  • All We Do Is Win- After an FAU video, “All I Do is Win” by DJ Khalid is played over the sound system. () After the line “Everybody’s Hands Go Up!” the crowd yells out “FAU!”
  • Singing of the Alma Mater- After every home game, everyone is welcome to join the Marching Owls to sing the FAU Alma Mater:“With the Gulf stream breezes blowing, the search for truth goes on. Seeking, learning, sharing knowledge. Finding the meaning of the past that is gone. Where nature beams with pleasant weather we strive to learn to work together. Florida Atlantic, we praise and hail thy name.GO OWLS!”
Yearly Traditions
  • Freshmen Walk- Happening during halftime of the first home game, it allows for Owl Nation to welcome new freshmen to FAU.
  • Shula Bowl- The yearly home-and-home rivalry between FAU and FIU. Named after former Dolphins Head Coach Don Shula.
  • Homecoming- FAU’s yearly Homecoming game includes a ceremony to crown the Homecoming King and Queen, as well as other events celebrating the spirit of FAU.
  • Senior Day- On the last regular season home game of the year, FAU hosts a special ceremony to thank the senior members of each team.
Cheers and Chants
  • “ROLL OWLS!” - Based off the Ludacris song “Rollout” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_lIq5ugn4)
  • “It’s raining, it’s pouring, the Owls are scoring!” (When Applicable)
  • “We Ready, We Ready, We Ready for Y’all!” (Pregame Chant) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0RnkBbOww)
  • “At Least You Better than FIU!” (When FAU has a Large Lead)
  • We’re Singing- When FAU has a huge lead, everyone sings the following: “Na na na na! Na na na na! Hey! Hey! Hey! Goodbye!”
  • Seven Nation Army- Everyone sings the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army melody at various points throughout the game. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY)

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

I would like us to start the tradition of not playing music in between plays when we are on offense!

I would like to start the tradition of hiring someone every year that knows how to run the replay and stats on the scoreboard.

One more, hiring competent people on the Hyundai deck so it doesn’t take 20 minutes to get a drink with 3 people in line.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I would like us to start the tradition of not playing music in between plays when we are on offense!

I would like to start the tradition of hiring someone every year that knows how to run the replay and stats on the scoreboard.

One more, hiring competent people on the Hyundai deck so it doesn’t take 20 minutes to get a drink with 3 people in line.
Posted On: Aug 2nd 2019, 4:32 PM #387389

Music can be worked on, but I don't know about the rest. However, Alumni's "Tailgates in Paradise" will have $10 unlimited beverages, so maybe that helps…

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Aug 2nd 2019, 4:32 PM #387389

Music can be worked on, but I don't know about the rest. However, Alumni's "Tailgates in Paradise" will have $10 unlimited beverages, so maybe that helps…
Posted On: Aug 2nd 2019, 5:17 PM #387391

Thanks, didn’t mean to derail your thread.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Thanks, didn’t mean to derail your thread.
Posted On: Aug 2nd 2019, 6:02 PM #387392

It's all good.

Back to the top
Control functions: