Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs. The Ohio State -- Alumni Events Information and Roll Call

Shane - are you and your group coming to the Friday alumni reception at the hotel?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

labrat said

dusky256fc said

NCOwl said

dusky256fc said

Hate flying Allegiant but they fly direct to Charlotte for half the price of American and you land at Concord airport which is 6 miles from the campus.  Flight there is early Friday so if anyone has suggestions to occupy an 11 year old for the day in Charlotte  please let me know.
Posted On: Jul 31st 2019, 9:28 PM #387363

Take him to the Nascar Museum.  It is a good time. I will be coming in Saturday morning for the game.  Tailgating isn't the best, you have to have a pass to park in a lot, but if you don't, you will be tailgating in a parking garage.  I did that 2 years ago and it wasn't too bad b/c I was at the top (nice view of the campus, though and surrounding areas).  
Posted On: Jul 31st 2019, 9:48 PM #387364

Thanks, he’s not much of a racing fan but might be a good way to kill a few hours (for me).  Probably won’t tailgate since we are most likely going to walk over from the hotel but I’ll keep it in mind if that changes.
Posted On: Aug 1st 2019, 7:31 AM #387365

Discovery Place Science Museum is good if you like that sort of thing.
Posted On: Aug 1st 2019, 8:46 AM #387367

Thank you, I will check it out.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Shane - are you and your group coming to the Friday alumni reception at the hotel?
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2019, 12:54 PM #387715

Smitty to be honest, we will most likely be deep into a college bar happy hour at the time.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

smittysahoot said

Smitty to be honest, we will most likely be deep into a college bar happy hour at the time.

Posted On: Aug 22nd 2019, 1:04 PM #387717

Just an observation.  How come the Alumni Association does not plan any events for other away games; like ODU, MTSU, Marshall, UNCC, WKU - all away games I have attended and have not see any Alumni events.  It seems to be only the big games, vs. P5. opponents.  I get it, but I would personally love to see some Alumni or fans at those games.  Don't get me wrong, I love meeting the parents of our football team, the dude who wears the fireman hat, , few of the Athletic Directors, and I even met Shane at ODU 2 years ago.  I understand it is difficult to travel to away games, but I would like to know how come the Alumni Association does not host many away game events ( I know they did UCF last year, I was at the game, but didn't make it).  Anyway, GO OWLS!!!   
Back to the top

NCOwl said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

smittysahoot said

Posted On: Aug 22nd 2019, 1:04 PM #387717

Just an observation.  How come the Alumni Association does not plan any events for other away games; like ODU, MTSU, Marshall, UNCC, WKU - all away games I have attended and have not see any Alumni events.  It seems to be only the big games, vs. P5. opponents.  I get it, but I would personally love to see some Alumni or fans at those games.  Don't get me wrong, I love meeting the parents of our football team, the dude who wears the fireman hat, , few of the Athletic Directors, and I even met Shane at ODU 2 years ago.  I understand it is difficult to travel to away games, but I would like to know how come the Alumni Association does not host many away game events ( I know they did UCF last year, I was at the game, but didn't make it).  Anyway, GO OWLS!!!   
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2019, 2:37 PM #387718

Smitty might be able to answer better, but someone needs to put it together locally.

The alumni association can not fly people from Boca to put together events for a handful of people at each away game.

If someone wants to put together an event for local alum in Va. Beach the night before the ODU game I know the alumni association will help and provide resources.

The whole thing about an alumni association is it needs to be lead and mostly run by alum.    

Back to the top

Engaging alumni in the Alumni Association is important. Naturally, the Texas game years ago, the Ohio State game this year, the Oklahoma game last year, etc. have a natural allure to draw alumni since it's a big game/big team and a new experience for many people.

I had a phone call today with the Alumni Association's membership staffer. Her and I went through some goals for the immediate future. Watch parties are a natural fit. Even if we don't have alumni in the area, if an alumnus raises their hand and say they want to host a watch party, that shows a level of interest in being involved. The same could be said about away games. If we don't have a tailgate at ODU, Marshall, etc., that doesn't mean alumni can't gather the evening before the game at a local restaurant to be together. Example: I will be in Charlotte and am working on a restaurant to host something Friday evening.

As you can imagine, another struggle is getting the word out. Emails are great – but if people don't read them and/or are not on the email list, they won't hear about it. I ask that each of us do our part to contact the Alumni Association and ensure we are on the email list. Emails are sent nationwide, but most of the time they are sent to area alumni for events. For example, for this weekend's OSU game, alumni within a certain mile radius received the email (maybe 200 miles?).

Another thing that can help drive engagement and hosting events is alumni membership. There is always an interest to increase the revenue source into the alumni association to host these types of events, and that starts with membership. I ask that everyone consider joining the alumni association and encourage your fellow graduates to do the same.

To Shane's gathering … there are also very excited alumni that get together on their own. Not everyone wants to "hang out" at the alumni reception or alumni tailgate and want to explore the city they are visiting.

I am open to ideas and ask that you message me or email me those ideas. Part of my charge as alumni engagement officer for the alumni association's board is to engage alumni and find new ways to do so. I look forward to your ideas!

For those of us going to the Ohio State game, I look forward to meeting and chatting with all of you. If I don't catch you in C-Bus, I hope to see you in Charlotte.

If anyone is going to the UTSA game, please let me know if you want to help organize a gathering so that we can have a point person on the ground.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Engaging alumni in the Alumni Association is important. Naturally, the Texas game years ago, the Ohio State game this year, the Oklahoma game last year, etc. have a natural allure to draw alumni since it's a big game/big team and a new experience for many people.

I had a phone call today with the Alumni Association's membership staffer. Her and I went through some goals for the immediate future. Watch parties are a natural fit. Even if we don't have alumni in the area, if an alumnus raises their hand and say they want to host a watch party, that shows a level of interest in being involved. The same could be said about away games. If we don't have a tailgate at ODU, Marshall, etc., that doesn't mean alumni can't gather the evening before the game at a local restaurant to be together. Example: I will be in Charlotte and am working on a restaurant to host something Friday evening.

As you can imagine, another struggle is getting the word out. Emails are great – but if people don't read them and/or are not on the email list, they won't hear about it. I ask that each of us do our part to contact the Alumni Association and ensure we are on the email list. Emails are sent nationwide, but most of the time they are sent to area alumni for events. For example, for this weekend's OSU game, alumni within a certain mile radius received the email (maybe 200 miles?).

Another thing that can help drive engagement and hosting events is alumni membership. There is always an interest to increase the revenue source into the alumni association to host these types of events, and that starts with membership. I ask that everyone consider joining the alumni association and encourage your fellow graduates to do the same.

To Shane's gathering … there are also very excited alumni that get together on their own. Not everyone wants to "hang out" at the alumni reception or alumni tailgate and want to explore the city they are visiting.

I am open to ideas and ask that you message me or email me those ideas. Part of my charge as alumni engagement officer for the alumni association's board is to engage alumni and find new ways to do so. I look forward to your ideas!

For those of us going to the Ohio State game, I look forward to meeting and chatting with all of you. If I don't catch you in C-Bus, I hope to see you in Charlotte.

If anyone is going to the UTSA game, please let me know if you want to help organize a gathering so that we can have a point person on the ground.
Posted On: Aug 26th 2019, 7:31 PM #387755

Thanks for the insight!  I will be at the UNCC game (seeing I live in the Raleigh area) and the ODU game.  I hope to catch up with you at @ Charlotte and chat!  Once again, thanks for the insight, it was very helpful!
Back to the top
Control functions: