Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Ball State - September 14th, 2019

Add topic

Nah I'm not worried. I don't think the stats really tell a good story. Whenever you have quick up tempo matchups, numbers can get pretty lopsided. Ball State ran 74 plays on us today. Hopefully our def can make some major improvements in the weeks to come, but I'm confident we'll keep getting better.
Back to the top

I think FAU had clearly more team speed and overall better athletes.  And our passing game could have really gone crazy and put up some ridiculous numbers had they chosen to throw it even more than we did (41 passes and 46 runs is a very nice nearly 50/50 balance).  But I also thought that we looked better than a lot of teams last year, and all that really matters is what ends up happening on the field.

The good news is this is a 10-point road win.  Sitting at 1-2, I'd venture to guess that is where most reasonable fans expected the team to be.  McCammon's play and the passing game should help with the team's confidence.  Hopefully a blow-out win against Wagner can be followed up with winnable games against Charlotte and MTSU (2 teams we had no reason losing to last year).  I'd think most people will be very happy if we find ourselves 4-2 heading into the Marshall game in a few weeks.
Back to the top

It’s a good win. Offense looks much better. Turnovers balanced themselves out in the game. They scored on two to go up 14 -7. Defense is still a work in progress. Needed to clamp down late in games. This win should instill confidence going forward. Wins help in recruiting. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The good news is this is a 10-point road win.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2019, 5:49 PM #388702

And their defense scored (were gifted) 14 on their points, which is something to be noted…

Technically our defense surrendered only 17 for the day.

Back to the top

Well, it was a very good game. I feel like I have a better idea of where we are as a team. I had been saying the o-line would do better against G5 competition. I also saw Mitchell stepped up. He is such a better receiver than Durante. And that is what I think is the big difference this year. Please, I don’t need video clips of Durante making 5 ok looking receptions, he wasn’t a playmaker or a difference maker like Mitchell is. You can catch or you can’t. And of course I was right about Robison if he had any weapons at all what he can do. And Mckammon is awesome. It seems like we’ve really hit on Alabama kids. 
Back to the top

What made the difference? The defense. Ball State fumbled 3 times and was intercepted, and was sacked 5 times. Yes they made a lot of yards, but only converted 5-14 third downs.

Back to the top

I didn't watch the game. Or listen to it. Got in late and read the tweets, posts, comments. Sounds like mixed reviews. Nice to win. 41 is a good number. Seems like our d really bent without breaking. Over all this was one of my questionable games and we got a win. That is a positive. I think our LB's  look strong. Good numbers. Wagner next week. Hopefully will be 2/2 going into the real season. Almost no easy games. C.R has really gotten better in one year. No big mental errors.
Back to the top

we needed that win and we got it. Now we will be going up against Wagner feeling good. They are things to work on this week, such as Ball security, tackling and assignments. We are in a great position to finish non conference play at 2-2 before beginning conference play. So good win boys, and lets get ready for Wagner. GO OWLS.
Back to the top

Umm...Ball St. now 4-3 on a 3 game streak with wins over N.Ill. and Toledo, MAC powers so not too bad this year apparently!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Umm…Ball St. now 4-3 on a 3 game streak with wins over N.Ill. and Toledo, MAC powers so not too bad this year apparently!
Posted On: Oct 20th 2019, 12:11 AM #390001

Haha, halfway through the season and I think this is the most impressive thing we can hang our hats on.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: