Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

#17 UCF @ FAU @ Game Thread - September 7, 2019

Add topic

And some of you might remember the FCS playoffs.  They expanded a long time ago to 24 teams.  14 automatic qualifiers as conference champions and then 10 invited teams.  8 teams are seeded and have a bye, first round games are scheduled based on regional location/distance between schools (having a rematch is avoided in first round), and first round games are hosted by teams who put in the highest bid (yes, you have to pay the NCAA to host the game).  2nd round is hosted by the top 8 teams, then additional games are hosted by whoever came into the playoffs with the highest seed.

The P5/NCAA claim this wouldn’t work because the number of games and travel at the FBS level. Reality - FCS champions since they expanded almost always play 15 total games and are done with everything except the championship game by the end of the calendar year. 

Last several seasons I have watched, the FBS champ plays 15 games, and has significant travel for conference championships, semis, and championship games, with much of that coming through their finals and time other students would be out of school???
Back to the top

The fact is ucf are frauds. FRAUDS. The administration didn’t have the guts to schedule a road game at a name brand. Please don’t even mention Stanford and Pitt. I’m talking the teams we play. How about at osu ou Alabama UF etc. they won’t even play a 2 for 1 at a major team.
And this brings me to this point. They would’ve never gone undefeated in 2017 if they’re amazing AD actually had the guts to schedule a body bag game. It’s like a fighter in the 1980’s not fighting Tyson but saying he’s the champion anyways. They’re frauds and we should not want to be like them, running away from a challenge like the frauds they are 
Back to the top

I was told i was crazy for not respecting UCF's "national championship". I do not believe it is right to call a national championship just because you feel disrespected. I was all for UCF and what they have done for the g5 but there were plenty of good teams in 2017 that played much more difficult schedules than them. Every UCF fan I have spoken to in person has told me that strength of schedule doesn't matter which is absolutely wrong. This weekend was a perfect example. They have achieved great success after their 0-12 season but until they actually schedule teams like we schedule, im not going to be paying attention to them.

Last point, their AD has demonstrated that he really doesn't have any negotiating power with any p5 team. I understand why UF would want a 2 for 1 because they have actually won a national championship and know that UCF still has a lot to prove. If UCF won a bunch of 2 for 1's over the next decade then they really would have negotiating power for more 1 for 1's. I respect USF more at least they are playing Bama and Wisconsin regardless the outcome.
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

I was told i was crazy for not respecting UCF's "national championship". I do not believe it is right to call a national championship just because you feel disrespected. I was all for UCF and what they have done for the g5 but there were plenty of good teams in 2017 that played much more difficult schedules than them. Every UCF fan I have spoken to in person has told me that strength of schedule doesn't matter which is absolutely wrong. This weekend was a perfect example. They have achieved great success after their 0-12 season but until they actually schedule teams like we schedule, im not going to be paying attention to them.

Last point, their AD has demonstrated that he really doesn't have any negotiating power with any p5 team. I understand why UF would want a 2 for 1 because they have actually won a national championship and know that UCF still has a lot to prove. If UCF won a bunch of 2 for 1's over the next decade then they really would have negotiating power for more 1 for 1's. I respect USF more at least they are playing Bama and Wisconsin regardless the outcome.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 10:27 AM #388983

I think there is a couple other factors that go into scheduling that are not being pointed out.
 First UCF makes a lot of money during home games as you can imagine. They get like 6 million a year in tickets sales alone.
This doesn’t include parking, concessions, and all the donation built in with that.
So, scheduling multiple 2-1’s will cost UCF multiple home games in which they will lose millions.

Secondly, this whole “it’s needed to be a 2-1 to play the big boys” talking point is new and created by the powers because they know how difficult it is for G5 to sacrifice. 
UCF played a 1-1 vs UM in 2007 and 2008. Did anyone say they didn’t deserve it then? 
Why is it issue now for UM to do it? It’s like if the powers of the cartel conferences are controlling the scheduling narrative so much you have G5 fans calling out other G5 schools.

Let’s pretend for though UCF did do a 2-1 with UF over 3 years and they take 2/3. Well one year you could beat a bad UF team run the table undefeated just to be left out because “you beat a bad UF team”
You could also beat them and slip up in a road game vs let’s Memphis or Houston and be left out. So now you wasted a home  game and millions to be exactly where you started.
Bama/Clemson are allowed to slip on the road against Cuse or Ole Miss and still get in. 
 Double digit road favorites lose almost every weekend in this sport and it’s why the blue bloods play 4 road games.

Lastly anyone who trashes UCF’s champion and scheduling philosophy, should understand it’s FAU’s philosophy as well.
The AD’s are brothers and if we ever went on this type of run and had 30k in FAU stadium every week, I promise we won’t be taking 2-1’s. 
We play at Ohio State because we need the cash.
Back to the top

Shane, as always you bring up great points and I was not aware about the UCF v Miami 1 for 1 although i did attend that game when UCF came to Miami. They could beat a bad UF team but there is no such thing as a bad Ohio State team, Oklahoma team, or even a Georgia team. I think one 2 for 1 with a powerhouse like that would be significant for their program. Otherwise, FAU should just follow the same philosophy and not play anybody so we can get a streak going with Lane and then pray we can play a decent team in a bowl game.
Back to the top

UCF beat Georgia the last time they played actually. But that’s not really relevant. You are entitled to your belief that 2 for 1 would be beneficial but I personally believe that their AD has a slightly better understanding of what they have to gain/lose from that arrangement. As far as UF and UCF specifically for the last 2-3 years UCF has been better than UF. So it really wouldn’t make sense to concede to being the inferior when very recent history favors UCF. 

Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

Shane, as always you bring up great points and I was not aware about the UCF v Miami 1 for 1 although i did attend that game when UCF came to Miami. They could beat a bad UF team but there is no such thing as a bad Ohio State team, Oklahoma team, or even a Georgia team. I think one 2 for 1 with a powerhouse like that would be significant for their program. Otherwise, FAU should just follow the same philosophy and not play anybody so we can get a streak going with Lane and then pray we can play a decent team in a bowl game.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 4:14 PM #388987

I was upset when in 2017, we chose to stay home and blowout Akron rather than go the the Liberty Bow and play a bad Florida State team. Getting that W against one of the big three in the state would have had a lasting effect imo 
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

They could beat a bad UF team but there is no such thing as a bad…Georgia team.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 4:14 PM #388987

Come on man, UF has won 3 National Championships and 2 Heisman trophies since Georgia has done either.

Georgia last won a National Championship in 1980 and Herschel Walker won the Heisman in 1982.
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

As far as UF and UCF specifically for the last 2-3 years UCF has been better than UF.

Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 5:43 PM #388988
2016 - final AP rankings - UF #14, UCF NA
2017 - final AP rankings - UCF #6, UF NA
2018 - final AP rankings - UF T#7, UCF #11
2019 - current AP rankings - UF #9, UCF #22

Yes, UCF has more wins than UF during that time period.  But strength of schedule carries weight and helps perception, as UF is about to play the current #3, #4, and #7 teams in the country over their next 5 games.

Looks like UCF is 4-4 against P5 teams during this time frame, when they've had chances to boost their SOS.

And I get that it's complicated (you can't control how your conference plays, how do you improve your SOS if no one will play you, etc) - this isn't an anti UCF or pro UF post by any means.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I was upset when in 2017, we chose to stay home and blowout Akron rather than go the the Liberty Bow and play a bad Florida State team.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 6:17 PM #388989

The 2017 Liberty Bowl was Iowa State vs Memphis, and we didn't have the option to go to 2017 Independence Bowl…we don't travel nearly as well and were never a serious consideration..had we have been offered we would have been off to Shreveport like a prom dress.

Regardless, agree that we could have won that game…it would have been a great match-up given our running game at the time.

Back to the top
Control functions: